Cockpit Monitors

42 replies to this topic

Poll: Cockpit Monitors (161 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see functional monitors?

1. Yes, It'd enhance the experience of piloting a 'mech (139 votes [86.34%])

Percentage of vote: 86.34%

2. Maybe, if you could toggle it or the HUD (15 votes [9.32%])

Percentage of vote: 9.32%

3. Nah, It'd be a distraction from the combat, because pew pew (7 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kilroy95

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 45 posts
  • LocationKodiak Cockpit

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

I'm rather surprised how this hasn't been addressed yet, or how it hasn't been really touched on.
First off, we've got clan mechs, and lots of IS mechs, everyone complains about the cockpit glass, but what I'm offset at is the monitors. Sure, some of the IS mechs do display things, Mission kills, Functioning heat sinks,and Ammunition load, however, some of them aren't actually functional.

next time you load up a mech with ammo dependent weapons, try to find the display, it'll most likely read "No ammunition loaded" this is fine if your running an energy mech, sometimes it'll show ammo bins if you Fire the weapon first, which to, is ok.

I'm suggesting things that they can/could display, not what they should.

-Radio channel, Seeing how VIOP is going to get implemented, why not have a screen showing who's on the channel, and who's talking

-Shut down over ride, Again, seeing how it's a toggle now it'd be nice to see if it's on

-misc. things, internal Core temp, heat overflow, ambient atmosphere temp, ect

Again, it's just a thought on the cockpit monitors

EDIT: added a poll c:

Edited by Kilroy95, 23 January 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#2 GentlemanBryan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMemphis, Tn

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

PGI should look at displaying "battle field" information in the displays. PGI should created a form and ask for suggestions from ALL players. We will see...

#3 Mordric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 237 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

It's would Really nice if the would make all the monitors functional. then they
could move the Weapons load out over to a monitor and the radar map onto another. they could put every thing on the monitors, Heat, Damage, ammo, Weapon condition.

#4 Apophis Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

Agreed, having the monitors show something would be nice. Put up a poll for this. PGI might pay attention to it if you do :)

#5 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

They've mentioned this a few times over the course of development. Actually, I think they even mentioned that they had this feature functional in one of their test-clients.

I expect that they haven't enabled this feature in the Live game client due to performance issues. The HUD is already a resource hog, and I'll bet functional monitors would only make it worse.

Honestly, it's probably not a very high priority yet.

#6 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:34 AM

Greetings all,

With the additional development of the 'meta data' and ability to 'read and grab' current info from each 'Mech we may see some function return for these 'unused' items. Only some chassis models have functioning info and limited at that, most likely due to the varied locations/size of all the different monitor placements and directing code to render the info to each.

- At one time (very early design and Beta) these side monitors were not just info screens, but on some 'Mech were actually side views. Replacing what could not be seen by the Pilot in that direction. (example: Hunchback and right view through the shoulder cannon.)
- At this point in the game, if the monitors are of no use, and they are actually 'in the way' of looking out a side window, I'd like the option to 'make them go away' or fold back out of view.
- Even if these monitors do get the info displayed that they should have, I'd still like the option to 'fold them back' if the Pilot deems them 'not required at this time'. If the info is present on the dash in one form or another and these monitors are just 'quick reference' even better. (currently the dash and it's controls are only art work and has no functional use.)

There are far to many 'Mech's that these monitors block side windows, are far too large for their stated use or display info, and just 'in the way'. The newer models are much better configured in where these elements are placed.

9erRed

#7 Mordric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

It would great if you could toggle them on and off, some of the warhorns get in the way of the view on some mechs, the king crab is nice because the horns fit up top out of the way, same with the madcat. And some mechs the monitors fit nicely but the radar map blocks the view.

#8 Atlasian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:35 AM

My game lags about 1/2 the time, and I have reduced the graphic quality to low in hope to improve the situation.

So iIf switching on the monitors drains my laptop resources and slow down gameplay, nope.

#9 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

Frankly, I'd just like my monitors to say something other than "AutoDetect: No".

How's about we put a couple of those monitors to use as rear-view cameras to help you back up???

#10 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:03 AM

I want back camera on one of those.

#11 Muzza Uleh

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

What about video feed from other allied mechs on the battlefield?
Edit: I also agree with back camera.

Edited by Muzza Uleh, 26 January 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#12 Drake67

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEnterprise MS

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

if they aren't going to use them remove them.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

Once the monitors function you can bet your ass that I will immediately shut off the hud and relish in enjoyment.

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 26 January 2015 - 03:03 AM, said:

I want back camera on one of those.

View PostMuzza Uleh, on 26 January 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

What about video feed from other allied mechs on the battlefield?
Edit: I also agree with back camera.

Not possible with this iteration of the game engine.
CryEngine 3 does not support picture-in-picture and PGI's team isn't savvy enough to be able to insert the functionality here.

Now had PGI used the Unreal Engine instead... we'd have that. And no doubt we'd have seen arm-flipping too.

#14 Illuzian Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 213 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:17 AM

I seriously just want a reverse camera monitor. I know blah blah information warfare but seriously I hate backing up in to allies or tiny terrain objects.

Even if it was on one of the side monitors to take focus away from forward it should exist.

#15 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:15 AM

Greetings all,

If we accept that the Engine will not currently allow for 'other views' all quires about having a 'reverse view' will still not stop.

But, I propose an alternate solution for not having that view. - The mini map.

- When the Pilot selects reverse, the mini map zooms down to only a few meters distance and detail shows what is around his 'Mech.
- This allows for detailed info about the terrain, other 'Mech's, and structures around/behind the 'Mech.

We have this element now, so allowing a zoomed function when the 'S' key is selected (default reverse) should not be as difficult or code breaking issue for the engine. The mini map is part of the HUD overlay and not directly tied to the multi views in the engine.
- The issue is having updated info present on the mini map when zoomed, current with the tactical situation.
- It's all fine to have the 'general' location of the 'Mech triangles shown, but in zoom mode it needs to display a detailed presentation of the terrain also. (this may need the 4K map info that PGI does have.)

So, not only do we get to have some form of reverse view, but also a detailed image of terrain within, say 5mtrs of our 'Mech. And we already have this info and feature now, just not in zoom mode.
(this would require building 'top down' images for all the 'Mech's for this view, no animation required. Additionally, as an idea, the longer the 'reverse is held the mini map opens up a bit to show a slightly larger location/area, akin to driving in reverse.)

Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 27 January 2015 - 06:26 AM.

#16 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

Nice to have, perhaps. But I cant see my DWF's monitors, samt for several other mechs. If we dont see it while playing, why have it at all. Lots of vasted resources.

#17 Mordric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

I think the ui should be customized to a point. were we can turn things on or off ass needed.

#18 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

I wich they just remove the monitors until they make them work , so far no signal looks... so beta....

#19 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:33 AM

View Post9erRed, on 27 January 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

Greetings all,

And we already have this info and feature now, just not in zoom mode.

9erRed

We do?

#20 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

Greetings all,

@ Serpentbane

Yes we have the terrain info, grid location and simple icons for the 'Mechs and direction they are facing.

Posted Image

- If this image went to zoom levels when we reversed, gave a higher definition of the terrain, and showed top down 'Mech icons, it could function as a reverse steering element.
~ it could only use the LOS info that the 'Mech currently has, so no wall hax or over the hill views allowed.
~ Limit the front view area and expand the back view, again zoomed to about 10 to 15mtrs behind the 'Mech.

- Not as great as having a full blown back view, but better than what we have now. (nothing)

Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 31 January 2015 - 11:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users