Like A Champion Continued!

171 replies to this topic

#41 AmaniWolf

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

View Postcapt hungry, on 23 January 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

Last weekend, out of 30 drops, only 5 qualified for points. I didn't have all weekend to play to earn all 30 points. It'd be nice if winning wasn't one of the qualifiers.........I only went for the premium time since I knew trying to earn the Cataphract was going to be an exercise in frustration.

These challenges are nice (and perhaps, a bit too challenging), but being on the losing side for 85% of the drops I was apart of isn't fun. It wasn't for a lack of trying either. I appreciate what PGI has been doing and I look forward to see what they will come up with each weekend.

View PostChester63, on 23 January 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

Really? Again? I have to rely on a team of others to get the points? PGI, not the way to win my money. I really like the fact you have weekend challenge's. However this is not one you should be injecting into the game. I have had way more than the 30 kills needed to reach the free mech bay and mech. Does the team I am assigned to have the same luck and win the match? No.
I enjoy the game very much, I enjoy the mature players, I enjoy the challenges. Just not this one.

It was through some serious frustration that I managed to earn the Victor. That felt like a true exercise in frustration where you needed to earn a win (hard to very hard), a kill (sometimes hard with the kill count people out there), an assist (easy enough), and live through it. The last part of living through the experience provided the hardest challenge of all. This produced some cowardly players who had to run/hide to keep their points lest they be lost; I'll admit to being one of these players when I hit the 16 near 18th point mark. I believe it took me close to 75, maybe 90, matches before I obtained the necessary points.

This time around, I found it easier, yet it was still frustrating. The problem comes from the reliance on teammates when you go "pugging," as some like to call it. Teamwork is the key. I was stressed that by my friend who brought me into this game. You don't stick with your team then you best be doing 1 of the following:

1. Hunting down a wounded mech.
2. Killing an assault chicken with a light mech
3. Have an almost assured game (talking 10 of your teammates alive with 2-4 on the other) to run get caps.

I'm sad to say this, but I'm reminded of my L4D2 days. You can be an awesome player. I've managed to live through some hard scenarios in that game. If you get some jerk who ruins the PvP match for you though, it's impossible to recover at times. The standard rhetoric that many said -- which I still hate to this day -- is "play with friends." This can be a problem if people are just starting off and have no friends to play with. Still, that's most of what I read/heard from the snobs.

A "challenge" by definition, at least my definition, isn't something that should be easily obtainable since that defeats the purpose of a challenge. On the other hand, the Victor challenge showcases a primary example of where things can be taken to the extreme. The challenge this time around feels almost right, with "almost" being the term here. I feel that more emphasis should be placed on team aspects of the game vs. a simple formula of kill, assist, win = point, or, heaven forbid again, kill, assist, win, live = point.

I won't harsh the PGI team because these challenges are exactly what the game needs to keep players engaged. New players can earn something, while older players can earn a mechbay for themselves. Down the road though -- as stated above -- I would like to see some new formulas cooked up that are used in specific events to highlight the true meaning behind the game.

Maybe have a challenge where you stick together with your lance, earn points like you earn credits/xp in game, and get points for taking down foes in your group.

Anyways, just my 2Cents on the subject.

#42 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

PGI, you continue to impress me with your attention to the entire community, and not just the vocal few.

I did complete my 30 pts last weekend (I already owned the mech, so I sold it and enjoyed the c-bills and mechbay), and I appreciate the extra tiers. My brother, and some of my friends, on the other hand, did not, and I can tell you that the opportunity to give it another go is hugely appreciated by them.

I also appreciate the way you keep experimenting with the challenge formula. Have I seen some less than stellar behavior from some players during some of these challenges? Absolutely! Have I felt frustrated at times, and concerned that I'd miss out on a reward, even to the point of coming to the forums to vent a little? Sure! But, I've also seen plenty of examples of solid teamwork, and great play. And I've felt exhilaration when I've completed a challenge successfully. And I've never, not once, begrudged any other player for earning a reward I missed, nor for getting another chance to get a reward I've already earned.

And I know, that you know, that no matter what you do, people will be up in your grill finding some detail or other to be angry about.

And to those people, I say...

Posted Image

#43 Ang3lsDem0n

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostLbofun, on 23 January 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

Yes It bothers me aswell about the camo, but come on man it is nice of PGI to be doing this for the others that were not like us and could not complete last weekend. I had a lot of friends who could not b/c of the "scrubs" that were bad players. Now this weekend I am going to play a support role and help my friends so they can get a free mech bay just like I did.

The issue not involving rewards is that this challenge encourages very bad gameplay, It did before and it will continue this week as well, making the game unbearable to play because of the increase of bs that we have to put up with. Now with the issue of the rewards is that the rewards are not worth the crap that will happen in the matches.

#44 Princeps Ibram Cain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

No thanks. I dont need something i cant sell back.

#45 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

View PostRip Snorgan, on 23 January 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

PGI, you continue to impress me with your attention to the entire community, and not just the vocal few.

Hey Hey Hey! That will just about enough of that positive talk! You keep this up you'll yourself in a lot of trouble! :P

#46 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

Ugh it figures. I got the Cataphract last weekend during the challenge and then put the Sherman camo on it. PGI really should have the Sherman camo unlocked for any one of your mechs.

#47 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Now I'm mad at myself for stopping, once I hit 30 wins.

#48 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

awesome, I already have 43 points with the extra matches and todays I made yay,

#49 SgtKinCaiD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

What happens if someone has already this permanent camo for his Cataphracts ?

#50 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

View PostAng3lsDem0n, on 23 January 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

As I already received the 3 day premium time and the Cataphract(Sold it the moment I got it). I never was nor ever will be a fan of IS mechs and that'll never change even if I get free ones from challenges such as this. the next two rewards are not useful at all to me. I for one never touch cockpit items at all since I find them just them bothersome and an eyesore. The camo is pointless to me since I'll never be able to use it since it is bound to a single mech and IS. The thing with the camo being for one one mech like this is that anyone out there who doesn't like or use the Cataphract gets pretty much useless a reward as it won't be used at all and just sit there collecting dust.

My, my! Arrogant much?

Seriously, PGI is giving away free stuff and trying to be creative with how they do it. They're trying to make the Challenges palatable to as many pilots as they can. As PGI cycles through various Challenges and Rewards, they will inevitably offer some that you don't like.

Get over yourself.

#51 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

Some people see "Like A Champion" and read it as "Like A Whiner". Whine on, oh naysayers and curmudgeons, whine on. Or, maybe you could grab your big boy pants.

Posted Image

#52 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

Great Challenge...despite being pressed for time and coming up (6) short. :(

Edited by Danny Fubar, 23 January 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#53 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

Thanks PGI - and we have a long weekend here in Aus so we wont miss half the game time

#54 Maelstroem

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 47 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostZolaz, on 23 January 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

Some people see "Like A Champion" and read it as "Like A Whiner". Whine on, oh naysayers and curmudgeons, whine on. Or, maybe you could grab your big boy pants.

Posted Image

whines gona whine

or be a champion

you choose

#55 ColonelProctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 243 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHorn Lake, Mississippi

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

Figures work has me doing overtime this weekend. Please eventually add some during the week challenges.

#56 Ang3lsDem0n

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 23 January 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

My, my! Arrogant much?

Seriously, PGI is giving away free stuff and trying to be creative with how they do it. They're trying to make the Challenges palatable to as many pilots as they can. As PGI cycles through various Challenges and Rewards, they will inevitably offer some that you don't like.

Get over yourself.
Here is the thing buddy, I'm not claiming to be a good player at all here and my view is as an Average Skilled player. I only hit 30 after 15 or so hours of constant playing and over 80 games played total, not only that but the luck to have teams that tried to put in the work to just play and win. Also what I said about the cockpit items is that of my preference as well as about the camo being my opinion(And it doesn't seem like I'm alone in that opinion). Plus to add, it did seem you failed to read on how this is leading to bad gameplay and habbits of the players involved.

Here is a little copy of the issues I brought up I actively saw the last "Like a Champion".

"Such issues as someone getting a kill and doing a little damage to others and then disconnecting, "Yoloing" it and throwing away their mech to get a single kill, teammates running in front of you more often than normal to "steal" that kill from you."

Another was from a reply from someone who said this just promoted the style of play he liked, which was a Agressive style of play.

"Agressive? More like dickish with a tab of moronic. I've seen entire teems chase after one light to try to kill them and completely ignore the rest of their team because the light was cored. I've had my torso and arms blown off already from behind by teammates who wanted that kill that was in front of me and they didn't care I was already there fighting the guy. There is more fighting your teammates right now than fighting the other team."

Edited by Ang3lsDem0n, 23 January 2015 - 03:42 PM.

#57 MechWarrior6478661

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

PGI 20 Wins would have been better, especially for a new player like me who really needs a good Champion Mech but came up short on wins despite all the time I put in on the challenge.

#58 Ang3lsDem0n

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

A possible way to cater to all players is maybe to give us more of a choice. An example is instead of getting the Cataphract plus a free mech bay(4945mc and 300mc totaling 5245mc), we could choose to have the mc that the Cataphract was worth(4945mc). That way those who might not want or need it can get something else of their choosing and does not stiff those who chose to get the Cataphract since the total worth of mc they receive would be greater than those who chose only the mc reward.

Edited by Ang3lsDem0n, 23 January 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#59 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

Sweet, already had my 50 last weekend, thanks PGI for the extras!

#60 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

Challenge completed. Thx PGI!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users