#1 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

Title says it all.

And before somebody says be a better pilot, one bad player does NOT make for continuous 12-0 games, but a bad Match Maker does.

#2 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

Ive noticed players in this game often have some of the worst situation awareness of any game I've played. You can have guys charging around the map in a rotation while the assaults get left and picked off. You have people that just run off solo. People that have no idea what is going on beyond their own field of View. PGI has no magic cure for such nonsense. And on a game as team depends as MWO it doesn't take much to get that steam roller going the wrong way. All it could take is one person not doing well to start that snowball going. B4 u know it you can't recover.

#3 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:16 AM

View PostChaosity, on 23 January 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:

Title says it all.

And before somebody says be a better pilot, one bad player does NOT make for continuous 12-0 games, but a bad Match Maker does.

Actually, one bad player can have catastrophic impact on the match.

I'm not going to say that you need to step up your game. It is quite possible that the MM decided you're going to be the grease between its wheels for this period of time. Or that you've had enough wins, and need a few smack downs.

Also, timezones can really screw you up. For instance, if you're playing at the wrong time at the wrong day, you'll be packed in with 14 year olds who are out of school, and welcome to hell on that one mate. Or you're playing during the off hours where most players aren't there, and so the MM decides that you being 1000 Elo points away from the enemy team is okay, since it's not finding enough players in the queue right now.

I could also say that you can join a group, and jump into the group queue, but that's its own conversation.

I was in your shoes before, a few times actually, but I always found a way out. Usually by sticking to one chassis that I knew really well, and using it to dig my way out.

What mechs have you been piloting, and I could really use all the details you can get me. Smurfy builds, styles of play, how some of the maps bother you, and what bothers you about them.

Give me as much information as possible, and I can help you find a solution that works for you.

#4 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

If you have a string of bad games, leave then come back after 5 minutes, suddenly you are playing with different people.

#5 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:32 AM

Yup, sometimes, it's just that you are synced up with morons. It works the other way too ;)

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:29 AM

Rule of Thumb:
For every 10 matches in Elo-Hell you have 1 match were you can kill an enemy with the Headlaser on your Zombi-Hunchback (or whatever your drive is - hopefully you have a Head or CT Weapon).

Enjoy :D

Edited by Thorqemada, 24 January 2015 - 02:29 AM.

#7 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:15 AM

It might be because of the stat recording bug I noticed putting you in completely the wrong groupings. Which would in turn prove that it dos affect the Elo, which I can't prove directly.

I'd paste the link, but for some reason it doesn't work in the editor.

You'll see it in this forum section.

#8 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

View PostDavid Sumner, on 24 January 2015 - 03:15 AM, said:

It might be because of the stat recording bug I noticed putting you in completely the wrong groupings. Which would in turn prove that it dos affect the Elo, which I can't prove directly.

I'd paste the link, but for some reason it doesn't work in the editor.

You'll see it in this forum section.

I'm pretty sure the stat recorder doesn't impact Elo.

#9 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

The MM can't fix stupidity.

#10 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

I'll be honest, I don't see many 12-0s. 12-2s, 12-3s, all the way up to 12-11s, sure. But most are around the 12-3 Mark. This is because, once a team starts to get momentum, they can bring more power to bear on individual targets, and thus make it harder for each mech on the losing side to do anything of note before he drops.

If you notice this starting to happen, C3! Take Control of the situation by Communicating Commands to the team. Come up with a plan and throw it out there. If the Pugs Listen, and it works, AWESOME! If they don't, well, you tried. And if they do, and it doesn't work, figure out WHY it didn't work, and remember that for next time.

This will not always work, but when it does, you WILL turn a defeat into a narrow victory. Usually, it's easiest after you've been destroyed to take command, because you can tab through player cockpits to see their damage state and what they have eyes on. But it can work while you are still operational too. You just need to find a piece of cover to duck behind to type commands.

Another thing too, if someone else issues a plan, try to follow it. It may not work, but SOME coordination is better than NO coordination in a TEAM game.

Anyways, just my 2c.

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostThunder Child, on 24 January 2015 - 02:14 PM, said:

C3! Take Control of the situation by Communicating Commands to the team. Come up with a plan and throw it out there.

Yes!

That way, when you lose the match anyway because the PUGs ignored you, you'll find you also did less damage than usual because you were so busy typing tactical advice.

PLUS, as a BONUS, you can also deal with the PUGS claiming that it's your stupid plan that lost them the match, and hey, look at your paltry score, who are you to be issuing commands when you're just as bad as they are!

:lol:

(Don't laugh, it's happened to me frequently enough that I rarely even try it anymore.)

#12 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

Its not just MM, but low TTK did that to game play.

#13 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

View PostAppogee, on 24 January 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

Yes!

That way, when you lose the match anyway because the PUGs ignored you, you'll find you also did less damage than usual because you were so busy typing tactical advice.

PLUS, as a BONUS, you can also deal with the PUGS claiming that it's your stupid plan that lost them the match, and hey, look at your paltry score, who are you to be issuing commands when you're just as bad as they are!

:lol:

(Don't laugh, it's happened to me frequently enough that I rarely even try it anymore.)

Happens to me all the time. But hey, I figure it's all worth it for that one match when we turn what was gonna be a stomp into a 12-11. Even if we end up losing, it's worth it if the PuGs can get a bit of teamwork happening.

#14 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

8/10 times those 12-0 games are because 1 team got 3-4 ECM mechs, and the other team got 0.
The other 2/10 times, you just simply got outplayed.

#15 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

Its not necessarily matchmaker or bad teams.

I have seen players absolutely dominate in one match single handedly getting half the kills and high damage.
Then I see their name on a team which just got 12-0'd and they went down with hardly any damage.

Sometimes everything just comes together in the perfect storm and a team in a murderball flanks the opposition and just exterminates them.
When you have a whole team on the move concentrating fire on enemy in ones and twos it is just an unstoppable wave.

I had one a few days ago where the whole team followed me and the 150kph light lance down the side of the map in a big stretched out line (people apparently cant work out that one group of triangles is the fast scouts and shouldnt be followed). At that stage I thought "we have already lost, the enemy will find the assaults and pick everyone off from behind".
But they didnt, we ended up regrouped in an obscure section of the map then encountered the enemys rear flank for a 12-1 stomping.
What started as classic "this is a bad team" PUG chaos just came together into a perfect flanking, we were just lucky the enemy didnt stumble on our stretched out march. The other team could have been an organised group, you just wouldnt expect a PUG murderball to attack from the angle it did.

#16 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:58 PM

View PostThunder Child, on 24 January 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

Happens to me all the time. But hey, I figure it's all worth it for that one match when we turn what was gonna be a stomp into a 12-11. Even if we end up losing, it's worth it if the PuGs can get a bit of teamwork happening.

It's certainly satisfying when it works :)

#17 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

Too many variables to count. Comes down to... get a group together and talking always to one another will help during situations overall.

#18 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:30 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 24 January 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

The MM can't fix stupidity.

true, watched the last person on our team tie a match we should have won because he couldn't shoot straight. Bear in mind, he was in a barely scratched Mad Dog, and couldn't kill a Kit Fox that was cherry red and standing still quite a bit, any competent player would have downed that fox in one shot. The idiot even powered down at one point and let the fox have three free shots. (seriously wtf?!?!)

It's one thing when you lose because of bad luck, or because the other team had a better position/strategy, there's no shame in that. It's unforgivable when you lose because people on your team can't be bothered to learn the simple basics.

Edited by Vanguard319, 25 January 2015 - 01:32 AM.

#19 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:46 AM

I feel that hit detection is again quite bad. This could also explain the current imbalance.

#20 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:07 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 January 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the stat recorder doesn't impact Elo.

Except that it looks to me like it's recorded matches as match "start" and win / loss as match "end"
And I can't see a reason why it would trigger "end" differently for stats and Elo.

If "end" is simply "not happening" under some conditions, then logically it is likely the Elo update is not happening.

View PostMister D, on 24 January 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

8/10 times those 12-0 games are because 1 team got 3-4 ECM mechs, and the other team got 0.
The other 2/10 times, you just simply got outplayed.

No, that can't be right.
PGI have explicitly refused to balance ECM numbers because it does not affect match outcome </sarcasm>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users