Headset Better Than G35?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Gantry

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

Hey all, if you have used a Logitech G35 headset, would you purchase another one, or are you happier with something else? I prefer USB to bluetooth, but am open to opinions.

Mine is about ready to fall apart, and I'm leaning toward getting another pair of the same thing.

Posted Image

#2 SevenUpMan

• PipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

I'm using a Qpad QH-85 headset. It's a wired one for connecting to a sound card (so no USB). I absolutely love it since it delivers high-quality audio fit for playing music and is also very good for gaming. The mike is very good as well. Check out the Amazon reviews, Qpad users absolutely love their headsets. Oh, and it's also great to wear for hours!

#3 Gantry

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm on a laptop, but if I go desktop again, I'll check them out!

#4 Deckard Caine Sender

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCWI

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

I've been happy with the Plantonics GameCom 788. USB with software surround sound and very comfortable.

#5 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:58 PM

Interested in getting a new headset myself. My problem is that I must have giant dumbo ears or something. Every headset hurts my ears after more than 20 minutes wearing it - I'm talking headache causing pain, and my ears hurt to the touch. I gave up on the turtle beach ones because, despite the roomy appearance, they still cause the same problem.
I'm almost thinking I need to go to earbuds and a separate microphone.

#6 ValkerieFire

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

I had the G35. It is a good headset. Several of my teammates are using the new Gamcom 780 and are very happy with it. I personnally use Audio Technica ATH-AD700s with a USB soundcard, the Asus U3 (which basically turns any stereo headset into a virtual surround USB headset). For a mic I use a clip on $5 mic.

If I was in the market like you are, get another G35 or the Gamecom 780. The 780 (and the Asus U3) both use Dolby Headphone, so the virtual surround experience is just like the G35 which is also Dolby Headphone.

FYI the 788 is the replacement to the 780

Edited by ValkerieFire, 24 January 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#7 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:30 AM

I'd take a look at the Razer Kraken.

I love my Tiamat 7.1, and for USB replacements I'd at least consider the Kraken.

#8 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

Personally, I have a hard time going anywhere but Logitech for peripherals. Their headsets are nice and their software is great. I am *not* a fan of razer's software.

#9 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:47 AM

Whatever you do, stay away from Shitetek FREQ 5. Less than 5 months daily use. It has no steel reinforcement in the headband and thin plastic. So it WILL fall apart

#10 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:18 AM

View PostValkerieFire, on 24 January 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

I had the G35. It is a good headset. Several of my teammates are using the new Gamcom 780 and are very happy with it. I personnally use Audio Technica ATH-AD700s with a USB soundcard, the Asus U3 (which basically turns any stereo headset into a virtual surround USB headset). For a mic I use a clip on $5 mic.

This is actually the way I suggest everyone goes. If you want sound gear, buy something that's marketed as sound gear, not gaming gear. There's no such thing as "gaming sound", so anything that sells itself as such as only using that as a marketing gimmick for markups.

I use an A900X myself (it was a better fit for me, I wanted the isolation, slight bass emphasis and they take great to simulated surround), but if the OP can afford a G35, then I would rather tell him to get a pair of AD700s, even if he had to go grey market or used/refurb, and pair it with a Xonar U3, then get any "gaming headset" out there, because the AD700s will have sound that's nothing short of an order of magnitude better, and they'll be built a lot better, too, which is part of why I have no qualms with the used market: good headphones aren't throwaway paper mache headsets like the Turtle Beach and Razer crap you see on Bestbuy displays.

That's probably $130-$150 or so of investment, but again, G35s cost $90, so it's not really a big jump in price range, especially if one is willing to shop around and land in the lower part of that range (or lower still?).

Short of that? I'd say get the Corsair Vengeance 1500 or H1500 (same cans, different colors). They're USB, have Dolby Headphone built in to decent effect, and have passable sound that's far and away better than most gaming headsets. Sadly, they're still made of paper mache and won't take any real punishment. Still, better than the G35? Yeah, they meet that benchmark and then some, because while I love Logitech to death, their headsets are absolute **** for sound quality, and you realize it the day you get to spend some time with something better. I'm not an audio elitist, not by any means. I spend a hundred bucks and change maybe on all my sound stuff and it might get updated every three to five years, so a pittance for gaming rigs. Still, having started to use actually-decent stuff, I absolutely cringe at the gaming headsets that land in store displays when I listen to them, or even just wear them (they feel cheap, insubstantial, fit poorly, etc). There are $20-$30 headphones that blow away most or all gaming headsets.

Edited by Catamount, 27 January 2015 - 08:23 AM.

#11 Chiron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:23 AM

I am playing in a house that both dogs and children have been known to chew cords. Still figuring who learned it from whom. For this reason, all my devices are wireless. Can anyone recommend a decent bluetooth headset?

#12 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

I had the G35 and nothing but problems.

I purchased the Qpad QH90 and I am very, very pleased. I use this thing A LOT, the most possible and it's causing no sweaty ears or a headache. The sound is amazing. It's a closed design so it blocks out outter noises and none of your sound gets through.

Why are you preferring USB headsets? They always have an own soundchip which can cause a lot of annoying problems.

A chinch connected headset is the easiest and often best way to go. You don't waste your money on fancy stuff, only on the speakers and the microphone.
Every laptop I have ever seen has a microphone and headset connector, so youre good to go

Edited by Iqfish, 27 January 2015 - 08:25 AM.

#13 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:35 AM

View Postchiron, on 27 January 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

I am playing in a house that both dogs and children have been known to chew cords. Still figuring who learned it from whom. For this reason, all my devices are wireless. Can anyone recommend a decent bluetooth headset?

A few companies make decent wireless headphones/headsets. Corsair makes the H2100 which isn't terrible, and Sennheiser has a lineup of some pretty good stuff at a good variety of pricepoints. The RS-120 is
pretty popular. <- I will note that I haven't actually used it though, whereas I have used Corsair's lineup.

Edited by Catamount, 27 January 2015 - 08:40 AM.

#14 skilphul

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

Tek Syndicate made a good series of headphone/microphone reviews. I bought the superlux 668b with a clip on mic, cost me $55 and I couldn't be happier.
http://youtu.be/3fD-M1F6L4g

#15 Goolschen

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

I have one of those, it comes with an integrated sound card (for those of you who have a crappy built in sound card)

http://www.razerzone...razer-megalodon

I like it very much the only thing to complain about is, it only runs with a powered usb hub.
To be honest I don't know if that is a problem with my desktop or with the headset drawing to much power.

#16 Jonathan Paine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

I'm another fan of the Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset. One thing to keep in mind with this headset is configuration. Unless you set up a lower frequency cut off at around 100-110 DB, you'll hate the bass on this headset. Once you let the little built in subwoofers loose, you wont regret getting a set :D

#17 RogueLdr

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

The Logitech corded headsets are very nice. comfy and durable, plus 7.1 surround.

Word of caution though, i have had problems with two of their wireless ones. (930 i think) they lasted about a year and started having charging problems (bad cord socket). It's been a while and maybe they fixed it, but do some research first.

#18 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

Using a Kingston hyperx cloud. Would recommend.

#19 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

View PostRogueLdr, on 27 January 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

The Logitech corded headsets are very nice. comfy and durable, plus 7.1 surround.

I can confirm the first one, they are comfy.

Durable? Hell no. I had to send in my G35 3 times to Amazon and get a new one. The first time, the cheap pleather started to tear off the headrest pad after about 3 months usage.
The second time I got a modell with a production issue, one that was from an earlier production series. These had a constant beeping noise on the left driver.
and the third time it fell 80cm off the desk and broke into 2 pieces.

This was in a 18 months timeframe.

the 7.1 sound simulation works, but nothing more. It's very hard to localize the sound sources and completely ruins any kind of music. It works better in games, but is more confusing than helping.
The advertised tactical advantage is nonexistant.

Edited by Iqfish, 27 January 2015 - 08:10 PM.

#20 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

View PostValkerieFire, on 24 January 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

If I was in the market like you are, get another G35 or the Gamecom 780. The 780 (and the Asus U3) both use Dolby Headphone, so the virtual surround experience is just like the G35 which is also Dolby Headphone.

FYI the 788 is the replacement to the 780

I looked at that and went "Persona 3 Male Protagonist, is that you?" but nope, he got the ATH-EM700 SV

Edited by Lord Letto, 27 January 2015 - 08:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users