10 replies to this topic

#1 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

Simple question... I just went through Smurf's mech list and 85 of the mechs listed cost LESS than 6,000,000 c-bills. That means that I can buy 85 different mechs with engines, weapons, armor, etc. (though usually not top of the line equipment) cheaper than a number of the modules.

Hey PGI! What the frick gives???

#2 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:51 AM

View PostChaosity, on 25 January 2015 - 12:22 AM, said:

Simple question... I just went through Smurf's mech list and 85 of the mechs listed cost LESS than 6,000,000 c-bills. That means that I can buy 85 different mechs with engines, weapons, armor, etc. (though usually not top of the line equipment) cheaper than a number of the modules.

What gives is that this is a Free to Play game. FTP games really always feature some type of grind. This grind can be mitigated/circumvented with real money. So for things available in MC you can avoid the grind. But for those only available for C-bills you can only help boost you C-bill income. Which, surprise, can really only be done through methods that require an investment of real money, namely Hero Mechs and/or Premium Time.

So if you really want those Modules, you'll need to get those C-bills. And it's your own choice if you want to spend real money to help you do so or not. Remember, most Modules really aren't all that super amazing for their in-game effect. Yes, they can give an edge but a good player without modules will always trump an average player with all of them.
Oh, and there's nothing stopping you from swapping a single module between mechs.

If you'd rather have more mechs than that's great. Oh, remember, you'll probably want to buy some more mechbays then (for real money). ;)

#3 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:25 AM

Heh. Yeah. Just part of how it's set up. I'd have several but, keep swapping out mechs to run something else. Eventually my focus will shift to getting modules.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:45 AM

PGI considers modules to be, essentially, "End game" content or high level stuff. Like the level 100 gear on World of Warcraft.

Another way to think of it is blackmarket illegal stuff. You can't get this stuff easily. You have to go to bars, overhear more experienced pilots, start to learn information (spend general pilot experience) to acquire even the ability to arrange a meeting to get the goods, likely while watching over your shoulder for someone either about to bust you or shoot you just to take your money.

And now here you are. A very rare, LostTech piece of equipment that'll give your mech super powers with no additional weight. Just making you short of a space-flying gundam that can destroy thousands of mechs in a single shot.

What else is gonna keep that overpowered crap out of "everyone else's" hands?

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

or to put it another way the Modules are less expensive than purchasing the cheapest Mech in the game and setting it up with an optimized build.

Modules are expensive which is why the vast majority of my 96 Mechs do not have any (except perhaps UAV and Air/Artillery Strike)

#6 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

Yup. I'm currently grinding for 2 more Radar Deps to get my CW drop deck ready. Wish all the modules were 50% of what they cost now, but oh well - they are elective, are not game breaking, and somebody should make a profit off this game. Or it will go away.

#7 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

Module prices seem fine and their benefits are minor not overpowered must haves.
They take a long time to earn which is fine, people have been playing this game for years you can't just come in as a newbie and cry about not being able to afford all the best stuff in a month. They are the top of the MMO equipment tree and should take a long time to achieve.

Mechs cost real money due to bays and having lots of mechs gives no combat benefit since only the one in current use matters (4 in clan wars). Modules can follow your current mech. Nicer interface to swap them between mechs would be nice though, interface is painful in general.

#8 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

well honestly, not really,, Those mech prices, are stock.. add on double heat sinks, Endo, possibly artemis or ferro fiber.. Then you will almost always get a different engine too, and the cheaper the mech, the more likely you are to need a big XL, which is another 4-6m, as most IS mechs need something other than stock. Then add on the actual weapons you are going to use.. Most mechs will run between 10-15m,, Figure 20-25m per mech with modules is about average.. So in the end modules end up being about half the cost of the mech..

#9 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:10 AM

figuring most of the stock mechs (especially IS side) are pure rubbish, you pretty need to spend millions more to have decent builds even without modules.

#10 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:18 AM

There's no denying 6m feels steep. But that said, they are valuable.

If you have 6m to burn, you could buy another mech, but you can only take one of them with you into game (ignoring CW for the minute). Buy a module and you can take both that and a mech into the same game with a small but significant advantage. It's like in Formula 1, where each tenth of a second reduction in lap time comes at a phenomenal price.

My advice, start by mastering a few different chassis, then complement with cheaper modules like radar range and weapon modules. Save derp and seismic for later as the grind will bore you to tears (or bite chunks from your wallet).

#11 Kalamity27

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:45 AM

Modules are a great "cash" sink for players. After you have purchased all the Mechs your heart desires what else are you going to spend your money on? For the rest of us we will keep hunting through our Mech bays to try and find our modules.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users