favorite mw game

29 replies to this topic

#1 madheuhl

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationRight behind you.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

Whats everyones favorite mechwarrior game and why? also who all uses a joystick opposed to a mouse?

#2 BenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSingapore, South East Asia

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

Mech3 definitely.

I used a microsoft sidewinder when I played Mech 2 and it was fun, but by the time Mechwarrior 3 was released I was back to KB+Mouse and stuck to that since.

#3 madheuhl

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

View PostBenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON, on 28 June 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

Mech3 definitely.

I used a microsoft sidewinder when I played Mech 2 and it was fun, but by the time Mechwarrior 3 was released I was back to KB+Mouse and stuck to that since.

I liked the way the thor looked in m3 but thats about it. why didnt they keep the different looking arms on it?! made it look so cool

#4 Stray Ion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

MW3 is still my favorite. I bought the combo that came with a MS sidewinder pro FF. Sadly neither work with my machine. I have another joystick though which I plan on using.

#5 Mechwarrior3

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

MechWarrior 3!!!!!!!!! Best physics, graphics, and just about everything else!

#6 madheuhl

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

hm. now i wanna play mw3

#7 Mechwarrior3

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

View Postmadheuhl, on 28 June 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

hm. now i wanna play mw3

You should!!!

#8 trycksh0t

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

MechWarrior 3, hands down. It looked fantastic (still actually looks pretty decent), controls were spot on, weapons felt fantastic, and I got to smash Clanners en masse, without having to pretend to be one.

#9 Sarouter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 139 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

I have been a big fan of Mechwarrior 3. A lot of different Mech's and weapons to choose from. The mech's were more customizable in that version then in 4 & Merc's

I actually don't like using a joystick. Once I get my mouse formatted right I prefer the keyboard. Though I set up my mech's with very particular types of weapons. Multi weapons mech's are better suited for joysticks. I am more of a one or two weapon type mech driver.

#10 madheuhl

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

View PostMechwarrior3, on 28 June 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

You should!!!

i played it before, never got too far. I always thought mw4 and the expands were the best haha.. well besides the second one

#11 Telthalion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.

Partly nostalgia (was a large chunk of my childhood). Partly the ability to choose your own missions. And the salvage/maintenance/financial concerns gave it a much more involved metagame.

When it first came out I actually rather disliked MW3 compared to the MW2 era games. I've since tried to get back in and take another look at it but, alas, I can't get it to run on my current system.

#12 Karrin

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

My favorite is Mechwarrior 4. I Love this game dearly. I've bought it 3 times after losing it twice.
I prefer a joy stick however the only one I had couldn't twist so I couldnt circle my opponent.
Currently for '4 I only really need my mouse: scroll wheel for speed. group 1= left click, group 2 = right click, group 3 = scroll wheel click.
z for zoom. f for coolant. keypad 7/9 for left and right twist. everything else defualt.

#13 Rabid Monkey

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

I played the hell out of MW2 back in the day (always as Clan Wolf though, I think I only ran through the Jade Falcon missions once), loved it to pieces. I also played the hell out of MW3, and while I liked the graphics and sound much better, I though the music for MW2 lent a lot to the ambiance of the game - I really missed that from the other MW games. Didn't like the graphics for MW4, they seemed like a step backwards from MW3 for some reason. Although I've started playing MW4 Mercs recently and it's a hell of a lot of fun....tough call....

#14 Ice Bones

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 63 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

MW2: Mercenaries

Picking mission, salvage, having one mission have a direct effect on the next(e.g. not having the cbills to make all repairs and still ahving to go through the next mission, or on an extended mission, trying to conserve ammo from one mission to the next). Not to mention being there for the clan invasion, even if they didn't call for honorable combat. It was a great experience.

MW3 was good as well, but I didn't enjoy it as much overall. not to mention i somehow doubt that your supposed to be able to put 1 JJ on a 100 ton mech(maybe it was 2) and then be able to spin the mech on a dime with the flick of a mouse. it was fun, but not true to the way i always envisioned Jump jets to work.

The original MW was great in it's day and had a good story, not to mention getting to pilot all the "unseen", but i can't honestly say it was better than any of the others.

KB and mouse BTW

Edited by Ice Bones, 28 June 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#15 HybridTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 281 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.
I had the most overall fun with this game. Though it had it's share of flaws, and Activision never fully fixed this game (never forgave them for it either), I had many a good battle with friends and foes online with this title. Mechwarrior 3 was good but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as far as online play was concerned. And the same goes for Mechwarrior 4 and Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. They were fun too in their own ways, but it just wasn't quite the same for me.

That all said I did love every Mechwarrior game I ever played... and am very excited to see how this one plays out.

#16 madheuhl

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

View PostIce Bones, on 28 June 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

MW2: Mercenaries

Picking mission, salvage, having one mission have a direct effect on the next(e.g. not having the cbills to make all repairs and still ahving to go through the next mission, or on an extended mission, trying to conserve ammo from one mission to the next). Not to mention being there for the clan invasion, even if they didn't call for honorable combat. It was a great experience.

MW3 was good as well, but I didn't enjoy it as much overall. not to mention i somehow doubt that your supposed to be able to put 1 JJ on a 100 ton mech(maybe it was 2) and then be able to spin the mech on a dime with the flick of a mouse. it was fun, but not true to the way i always envisioned Jump jets to work.

The original MW was great in it's day and had a good story, not to mention getting to pilot all the "unseen", but i can't honestly say it was better than any of the others.

KB and mouse BTW

I like the way jump jets worked in the 4th, i dont care much for the side forward nd spin jump jets if thats what your talking about. i hope those arent in mwo

Edited by madheuhl, 28 June 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#17 Reign Death

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

My first and favorite Mech Warrior game was 'Mech Warrior Vengence' and move on to the older versions as well. One of my favorite mechs was the Deshi. It wasn't the best but damn it was a mighty beast. I was wondering (besides beta testers hush hush) if the deshi was going to be in MWO? Oh and i definately used the joystick, thats the only way to play.

Edited by Reign Death, 28 June 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#18 madheuhl

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostReign Death, on 28 June 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

My first and favorite Mech Warrior game was 'Mech Warrior Vengence' and move on to the older versions as well. One of my favorite mechs was the Deshi. It wasn't the best but damn it was a mighty beast. I was wondering (besides beta testers hush hush) if the deshi was going to be in MWO? Oh and i definately used the joystick, thats the only way to play.

the daishi? imo its just as good as the atlas if not better in some ways

#19 Incunabulum

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

MW3 - even though MW4 looks (marginally) better MW3 had a better story.

and MechCommander

#20 Telthalion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

View PostReign Death, on 28 June 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

One of my favorite mechs was the Deshi. It wasn't the best but damn it was a mighty beast. I was wondering (besides beta testers hush hush) if the deshi was going to be in MWO?

The Dire Wolf (Daishi) is a clan mech, so it won't be making any appearances for another year or so.

However, it's also one of the iconic clan assault mechs so I have a hard time imagining it NOT being available once the clans show up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users