17 replies to this topic

#1 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:01 AM

I just want to say as a single player who wants to support Davion in CW:

- I will drop on a planet that needs attackers rather then join a defense when possible.
- I will communicate via text chat if I am not on the davion ts3 server.
- I will attempt to support the actions of any unit I drop with if they communicate a need.

#2 Aylward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 606 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

This is great !!

Also, Any Davion affiliated pilot, looking for current orders from Davion command so you can best assist the house's efforts, can find them here.. http://affs.enjin.com/attack

This page is updated daily at minimum, more often as needed. When in doubt, check there.

House Davion TS3 Server can be found here: ts50.bargainvoice.com:7345

Any Davion pilots searching for others to group up with, should start here... There are common CW dropship rooms near the top, and Davion unit rooms down below.. Feel free to ask anyone there if you have questions or need directions or the like.

If you're in search of a unit, this is also a great place to start. (But that's not required to get in on group drops with other Davions.)

#3 RjBass3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 635 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKansas City MO.

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

If you are in search of a unit specifically for CW or competition, check out the following link as there are plenty of Davion units currently looking for CW oriented players. And I second what Aylward said. The AFFS TS server is a great place to pick up groups to drop with and if you are a Davion pug pilot and you are not checking the AFFS website everyday for the standing objectives, then you are doing it wrong.

http://mwomercs.com/...federated-suns/

Edited by RjBass3, 26 January 2015 - 02:20 PM.

#4 McHoshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

Greetings...

We want to announce a call to arms !

Posted Image

http://mwomercs.com/...61#entry4137961

Edited by McHoshi, 26 January 2015 - 01:59 PM.

#5 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

View PostMcHoshi, on 26 January 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

Greetings...

We want to announce a call to arms !

Posted Image

http://mwomercs.com/...61#entry4137961

Show up, group up, cross-train and have fun! Can't recommend this enough.

#6 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:46 PM

Davion's Pledge to Pugs:

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

#7 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:32 AM

View PostAylward, on 26 January 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

This is great !!

Also, Any Davion affiliated pilot, looking for current orders from Davion command so you can best assist the house's efforts, can find them here.. http://affs.enjin.com/attack

This page is updated daily at minimum, more often as needed. When in doubt, check there.

House Davion TS3 Server can be found here: ts50.bargainvoice.com:7345

Any Davion pilots searching for others to group up with, should start here... There are common CW dropship rooms near the top, and Davion unit rooms down below.. Feel free to ask anyone there if you have questions or need directions or the like.

If you're in search of a unit, this is also a great place to start. (But that's not required to get in on group drops with other Davions.)

thats of course if you liked being bossed around, being told you must bring this mech and it must be built this way and treated like cannon fodder by old guard who have a gentlemans club of old timers, who just copy other factions tactics as there own are dreadful

#8 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

View PostHades Trooper, on 28 January 2015 - 12:32 AM, said:

thats of course if you liked being bossed around, being told you must bring this mech and it must be built this way and treated like cannon fodder by old guard who have a gentlemans club of old timers, who just copy other factions tactics as there own are dreadful

MWO - "the future is war" : this game is a war simulator of mechanized unit combat. Yes you can play lonewolf style and do well, but unified teams typically have an edge ( unless a Steiner general is calling the shots). Unified means someone has to try to coordinate, a leader, who will have to give orders unless your whole team is telepathic.

I have dropped with large units with set tactics, the [ACES ] were one I remember and very friendly. However, I am not interested in joining a unit.

I do look for players on the Davion ts3 server occassionally, but mostly I stay on text. It is frustrating when units I am attempting to coordinate will not type replies, determined to win the match without the 2-8 of us not on their ts3 server.

Hopefully this post encourages better coordination between PUGs and units.

Edited by SilentScreamer, 28 January 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#9 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostSilentScreamer, on 28 January 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

MWO - "the future is war" : this game is a war simulator of mechanized unit combat. Yes you can play lonewolf style and do well, but unified teams typically have an edge ( unless a Steiner general is calling the shots). Unified means someone has to try to coordinate, a leader, who will have to give orders unless your whole team is telepathic.

I have dropped with large units with set tactics, the [ACES ] were one I remember and very friendly. However, I am not interested in joining a unit.

I do look for players on the Davion ts3 server occassionally, but mostly I stay on text. It is frustrating when units I am attempting to coordinate will not type replies, determined to win the match without the 2-8 of us not on their ts3 server.

Hopefully this post encourages better coordination between PUGs and units.

playing to tactics is fine, it's you must have this mech and it must be built this way attitude. If you call for a light rush, then fine, but to tell someone they must have a spider or a 9s firestarter or there not on the same page as the rest of everyone is a joke.

If someone can do the light rush in a jenner or a locust or commando what does it matter if they can get the job done? I personally can get over the walls in a locust or commando, but when i was joined up with a 11 man even being on coms they had an issue cause i drove a locust yet i was able to get over the wall and was 1st over without JJ, yet they insisted to try and micro manage how i played and what mech i brought.

Just my personal experience.

#10 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

Last night in a light rush we had 5 people not clear the gate. Often we have people in slower mechs, spreading out and dooming the push.

If you can make a build that keeps up perfectly and clears the gate in the same couple of seconds as the other, great. Most don't andwhen they take their jj-less light or 110 kph medium that can't keep up they hurt the team effort.

Most tactics work on synergy and coordination, if you're outside spec too much you are not an asset. Less of an issue for clans but if you are always is a 2xlbxnova,2x SPL summoner deck you could expect some feedback.

This isn't a Davion thing though. Any group is going to prefer people take a good deck.

#11 PerfectDuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 328 posts
  • LocationLenexa, KS

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Every wall can be crossed while the gate is still up in a 120kph mech with the exception of Beta gate on Sulfurous Rift. Some take more skill than others.

Edit also Gamma gate outbound on Sulfurous

Edited by PerfectDuck, 28 January 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#12 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:47 PM

View PostHades Trooper, on 28 January 2015 - 12:32 AM, said:

This seems like a rather one sided point of view. I'm not sure how it is in Davion, but in Night's Scorn we typically strongly recommend builds for people to run. I find that when most players see others who are greatly outperforming them they are eager to learn the right builds and tactics so they can kick ass just as hard.

Running independent builds is generally okay if your team is steamrolling the enemy team. The problem stems from nail biter matches where a slightly more optimized mech might have made the difference. There is a great deal of math that goes into theorycrafting optimal builds, your mech builds might work fine for general purposes but why not run the actual "better" build?

#13 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostHades Trooper, on 28 January 2015 - 01:35 PM, said:

playing to tactics is fine, it's you must have this mech and it must be built this way attitude. If you call for a light rush, then fine, but to tell someone they must have a spider or a 9s firestarter or there not on the same page as the rest of everyone is a joke.

If someone can do the light rush in a jenner or a locust or commando what does it matter if they can get the job done? I personally can get over the walls in a locust or commando, but when i was joined up with a 11 man even being on coms they had an issue cause i drove a locust yet i was able to get over the wall and was 1st over without JJ, yet they insisted to try and micro manage how i played and what mech i brought.

Don't paint us all with the same brush...i work with what people bring be it meta or otherwise...Some units like to bring the meta and want their people in certain mechs..and that is perfectly fine. On the other hand it is also perfectly fine to run what you weant as well..:)

#14 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:51 AM

pwnface, on 28 January 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

Running independent builds is generally okay if your team is steamrolling the enemy team. The problem stems from nail biter matches where a slightly more optimized mech might have made the difference. There is a great deal of math that goes into theorycrafting optimal builds, your mech builds might work fine for general purposes but why not run the actual "better" build?

There is a point where playing to the meta gets absurd. After quirks phase 2 came out a guy I play with bought two new TDR-9S and you can guess what he equiped them with. He was preaching that everyone else should do the same. The same individual also bought two pirates banes so he could pair them with his two DDCs. Going meta can improve performance but it can also make the game less enjoyable...if I don't have fun I won't play.

Some unit commanders assume the worst when a PUG on their side drops in a non-meta mech, others are pragmatists and realize that results are what is important.

View PostMischiefSC, on 28 January 2015 - 02:23 PM, said:

Last night in a light rush we had 5 people not clear the gate. Often we have people in slower mechs, spreading out and dooming the push.

If the unit is 11 strong and needs lights for their attack they can make do without the PUG. If the same unit has less then 8 members dropping they probably need a different plan. Ideally the 5 PUGs would have the mechs needed and be willing to use those mechs...in practice, it won't happen that often, but you can hope for responsive PUGs ( one reason why I started this thread).

Even if the PUG has the mechs they may not want to go with your tactics. I've lost track of the number of times a DDC pilot has said "PUSH" then stayed behind because their DDC is a "LRM boat" not a "brawler". The flip side is, I've been in drops that say everyone go alpha....I try, die, spawn in a shadowhawk or centurion and destroy a completely different objective solo because nobody is there but the rest of the team is too occupied to realize it.

Edited by SilentScreamer, 31 January 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#15 Thor Sword

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:38 AM

Sorry for this silly question... I joined Davion, but how do I join a unit? Where do I click on?

#16 stevemac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 415 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWazan Meat Grinder

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

View PostThor Sword, on 31 January 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

Sorry for this silly question... I joined Davion, but how do I join a unit? Where do I click on?

Go to this link: http://affs.enjin.com/ you will find a tab says sponsors there you will get web pages for the larger units in Davion. Or you can look up the recrutment forums on MWO here

#17 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostHades Trooper, on 28 January 2015 - 01:35 PM, said:

Yes, it's important to account for pilot preference, but puzzle this out for me:

When is the last time you won a CW match with everyone doing exactly what they wanted when they wanted in the 'Mech they wanted all match?

View Postpwnface, on 28 January 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

This seems like a rather one sided point of view. I'm not sure how it is in Davion, but in Night's Scorn we typically strongly recommend builds for people to run. I find that when most players see others who are greatly outperforming them they are eager to learn the right builds and tactics so they can kick ass just as hard.

We generally will offer recommendations but it's never a requirement that someone roll something they're not good or comfortable with.

#18 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

View PostValar13, on 31 January 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

Yes, it's important to account for pilot preference, but puzzle this out for me:

When is the last time you won a CW match with everyone doing exactly what they wanted when they wanted in the 'Mech they wanted all match?

We generally will offer recommendations but it's never a requirement that someone roll something they're not good or comfortable with.

I know for the Lancers some of our best synergy has come from people coordinating their one-off builds. I've watched CMetz get a ton of kills in a Commando, then JJ into a place a heavy has no business being and pull down Omega with a Quickdraw. We've got a guy who dominates in a Stalker and another who runs a narc Annasi like nobodies business. Goes in, narcs all the ECM, gets out, then when they flee after eating LRMs pops in and finishes them off before NARCing the next 2. He is, quite literally, exactly why people hate NARC and LRMs.

Never underestimate the power of good synergy. However the meta is meta for a reason and it's stupid to ignore that. A good team isn't about just what they shine in, it's about what *consistently* wins matches. Builds that are very feast/famine are overall a poor choice. That's why direct fire is so popular. You can make that work on any map, any situation, any tactical position. That makes it more adaptable. There are times when your NARC/LRM setup is useless, or at least less useful.

You can win with any build or setup. Winning consistently though is much like cooking. Recipes exist because that's the mixture that makes the best cake every time. There is a special sort of fun in that too; that sense of coordination and being part of a whole group doing something well as a whole.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users