12 replies to this topic

#1 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

So, again there's a challenge, and again it's on the weekend, and again it involves kills.

First off, K/D should be gone, and challenges should not allways be about kills. In my opinion it just destroys the gameplay. Every time there is an challenge, ppl run off like hell to get the one kill, and the match is lost due to stupid moves as a result.

This is not COD, Come up with some other criteria. Maybe several for each challenge, geared for different mech classes. Instead of kills, have 500+ dmg, and/or x number of laser tag kills, and/or what ever. THings that supports teamplay, not solo play.

I'm sure lots of people have great ideas of challenges that supports teampay.

Also, not everyone are able to sit infront of the PC all weekend. As a family father, that is when I focus on my kids. Me for example, I play on mondays primarly. Therefore, challenges that goes over weekends rarely fits me.

Edited by Serpentbane, 26 January 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#2 Krysic

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

Yup, what he said.

#3 E5Ky

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Good discussion points Serpentbane !

I really like the challenges. Everything from the cockpit trinkets to the free mechs and mech bays. look forward to seeing more. Maybe something for the Chinese New year ?

There however are two things I don't like.
With the kills needed there seems to be a massive jump in friendly fire and people ignoring mission objectives on matches like capture. Team play certainly takes a hiatus for the most part and it becomes "All about me !!!". It can be disruptive to people both doing and not doing the challenge alike and possibly encourages the sort of behavior we would rather and otherwise not see in public games.

Perhaps a reset or penalty that factors in friendly fire ? Still will get the odd grief-er that will deliberately try and take damage or the odd person who walks in front. I still would rather see this than someone core me from behind in order to get a kill. Its hard to remove it as an indicator but perhaps with more focus on other factors and multipliers it will work better.

Then the second thing I don't like is the challenges being held more or less only on the weekends. There are a lot of people who work shift work, weekend work and or have family commitments on weekends. I would rather see these events run over the course of a week than say split up over two weekends as the "Like a champion" event was. please give serious consideration to changing this for future events.

Edited by E5Ky, 26 January 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#4 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

I agree with Serpentbane and E5Ky's sentiments, especially about the events only taking place over the course of a weekend.
My other great gripe with such events is that these challenges often require play time of upwards of 10-15 hours (total) to achieve, which is practically half the weekend (including time spent to do other real life things). Even with free weekends, it still taxes me to complete these challenges within their time limits.

Also, since we're on the topic of time restricted events, sales should be announced at least one week in advance of their occurrence so that people may build up money and C-Bills to purchase them. They should also last no less than a week, unless it's something like a special surprise 1-day sale like what recently happened with one of the MC-only Clan mechs.

The "Like A Champ" extension was most definitely a step in the right direction, and for that, I applause PGI. However, it would be nice to know of these extensions more than one day in advance.

ALSO, back-to-back-to-back events, while they can perceived as positive, produce the negative effect of burn out (especially in the case of back-to-back sales; as is currently happening). For this, in conjunction with longer sale times, I propose more reasonably spaced challenges and (especially) sales.

TL;DR:

Issues:
  • Challenge and Sale time limits too short; usually only 3 days or less.
  • Sales announced too soon before their occurrence, without time to accrue or save up appropriate cash or C-Bills.
  • Too many short, time-limited events (esp. sales) relentlessly occurring back-to-back.
Solutions:
  • Extend Challenge and Sale times to no less than a week.
  • Announce Sales no less than one week in advance to allow customers to save and budget cash & C-Bills, as well as decide what to purchase.
  • Keep events (esp. sales) reasonably spaced apart, and with longer durations; to allow proper breaks between events and prevent player burn out.

Edited by Savage Sweets, 27 January 2015 - 10:18 AM.

#5 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

Wow.... now there's four 3-4 day limit events overlapping. Great time management, PGI.

#6 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

Not my topic, but this thread needs to be heard/read, so bump.

#7 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:42 AM

View PostSerpentbane, on 26 January 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

So, again there's a challenge, and again it's on the weekend, and again it involves kills.

First off, K/D should be gone, and challenges should not allways be about kills. In my opinion it just destroys the gameplay. Every time there is an challenge, ppl run off like hell to get the one kill, and the match is lost due to stupid moves as a result.

This is not COD, Come up with some other criteria. Maybe several for each challenge, geared for different mech classes. Instead of kills, have 500+ dmg, and/or x number of laser tag kills, and/or what ever. THings that supports teamplay, not solo play.

I'm sure lots of people have great ideas of challenges that supports teampay.

Also, not everyone are able to sit infront of the PC all weekend. As a family father, that is when I focus on my kids. Me for example, I play on mondays primarly. Therefore, challenges that goes over weekends rarely fits me.

and then? then people who play the challange by tha challanges rules will just maek you come here and cry of different reason.

#8 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:02 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 30 January 2015 - 03:42 AM, said:

and then? then people who play the challange by tha challanges rules will just maek you come here and cry of different reason.

So, pointing out issues with the challenges is the same as crying?

I have no problems with the mercenary event. As it do not require kills, people do not get tunnel vision and I do not see the huge increase in stupid moves I usually see during challenges.

MWOs slogan is “a thinking person’s shooter”, rushing after kills to get rewards sounds more like COD to me. Do not get me wrong, I play COD a lot and its fun. However, it is not what this game is. In general, challenges should reflect on this slogan, and the fact that this game usually require a certain degree of team play to win a match.

There are also other issues with having kills than just stupid moves. Different mechs have different roles and setups. Some are set up to deal loads of damage by continuous fire, some do huge damage in spaced volleys, some do pinpoint damage, and some do hit and runs. This is how it should be. Now, let’s say you play well and shreds metal like the God you are, but on your wing you have this little ******* with some pinpoint weapon system making a shot or two when your foe is about to die. In fact, as there is a challenge going on he tends to walk in front of you just at that moment making you stop shooting.

At the end of the match, stats show you with 980dmg and 0 kills, while the other guy have 128dmg and 3 kills. How is it fair only one of these should be rewarded?

Since you only managed to call me a cry baby without posting any good arguments yourself, why don’t tell us how challenges based on kills are a good thing.

Edited by Serpentbane, 31 January 2015 - 12:37 AM.

#9 Trashhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:31 AM

Regarding the objectives of the challanges, I already posted in another thread, so I will just quote myself (it's actually already a self-quote, but wth):

Trashead said:

I suggested the following rules after the Victor-Challenge:
- win the game via the primary objective; secondary ("Kill all enemy players") will only get you 1 point in total
- Skirmish is excluded
- everyone in the winning team will get 1 point for every team member that is alive at the end of the match

The rationale behind these rules is:
- get the players to care for their teammates (as the number of survivors equals the number of points you will get)
- get the players to at least TRY to survive (see above; (as the number of survivors equals the number of points you will get)
- get the players to care for the actual goal of the map, not only to make kills (thats why i excluded Skirmish AND winning through secondary objective ("Kill all enemy players"))
- if the players have to win the match via Primary objective, they will also - while trying to stay alive - not be able to get any points by simply waiting or hiding.

During the Victor Challenge, the most sensible behavior in regards to team-play i saw was, when a light mech running into our main strike force, trying to spread confusion.
A Stalker-pilot, who already got his kill, managed to cripple that light (legged him).
But instead of trying to shoot that light and get another kill.. he just turned away and started to fire at another enemy, leaving the crippled enemy light alone, knowing his team members would take care of him (which we did in a matter of seconds).
It was like he knew his firepower was needed elsewhere more desperately.

This, to me, is the essence of teamwork.

#10 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

View PostTrashhead, on 31 January 2015 - 05:31 AM, said:

Regarding the objectives of the challanges, I already posted in another thread, so I will just quote myself (it's actually already a self-quote, but wth):

I totally agree to the last part, this is how ppl should play the game. Individual kills should not matter at all. As I wrote above the number of kills says nothing about your performance as a player, you just have wait for others to do the job and time your shots.
Main focus should be to do what is right for the team. This is how ever not easy to accomplish with score based on individual performance. Now, I do realize PGI’s not going to (sadly) remove this from the game entirely, but I do at least hope they stop rewarding players from playing solo minded.

Even though I do agree with you on many points, Skirmish is an important part of the game. Even so, including skirmish can be done without loosing team play.

#11 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:18 AM

Once again login in after the weekend, where I have not even been close to my computer, I've got 45 minutes to win 50 matches...

#12 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:48 AM

I would also point out that during the few rounds I played during this challenge I noticed several players disconecting after getting one kill. Can not imagine this was the purpose of this challenge?

Not to keep beating this dead horse, but again, do make challenges more geared towards teamplay, even in matches with solo players.

#13 dukeofrugby

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

I work friday saturday sunday every weekend so ya challenges timelines suck. I agree with what everyone is saying here

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users