Make 'mech Bays Available For Purchase With C-Bills?

131 replies to this topic

Poll: Should PGI change it so that 'Mech Bays can be bought with C-Bills? (710 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI change it so that 'Mech Bays can be bought with C-Bills?

1. Yes (439 votes [61.83%])

Percentage of vote: 61.83%

2. No (271 votes [38.17%])

Percentage of vote: 38.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:47 PM

voted no, same as i would for Urbie cbills possibility. Both generating PGI huge money, and imho urbie packs are sold more often then any other packages...

#62 Strikeshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:35 AM

PGI and many people on this forum, simply do not understand business. Go look how league of legends is run and you will see a good business model that has millions of players and can afford to pay world champions a million dollars. MWO nickel and dimes the game to death. The MWO grind is absurd.

Edited by Strikeshadow, 12 August 2015 - 06:36 AM.

#63 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:13 PM

View PostStrikeshadow, on 12 August 2015 - 06:35 AM, said:

PGI and many people on this forum, simply do not understand business. Go look how league of legends is run and you will see a good business model that has millions of players and can afford to pay world champions a million dollars. MWO nickel and dimes the game to death. The MWO grind is absurd.

I agree, successful f2p mobile games give away paid content on a daily basis (magic stones in PAD, crystals in Soccer Spirits). Pad is one of the most successful games on mobile, raking in 2-3 million USD every single day (cite: https://en.wikipedia...ns#cite_note-45). One thing that would be nice in MWO is daily missions like in Soccer Spirits and also in Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm. In Soccer Spirits, the daily quests gives away both free in game cash as well as paid cash (crystals). The daily missions are simple things that every player can do such as play 5 games in etc game mode. This would be easily translated into MWO as daily missions to play certain game modes and mech classes. The same thing is done in Heroes of the Storm and encourages diversity in gameplay and a healthy daily playerbase. This could solve some of the playerbase issues in MWO where people don't generally play unless there's a major patch. Having daily missions would ensure that the game has a stable playerbase regardless of whether or not a new patch was released recently.

Edited by Silicon Life, 25 August 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#64 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:28 AM

Again: No more than 2 for C-Bills. Also, this is no longer needed. We get about 10 or more Mechbays for free now. On top of the 4 we start with, just by playing the game.

No we don't need to make mechbays purchasable with C-Bills.

#65 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

I just bought 3600 MC because of the Blood Moon MC sale. I think about 30% of this will go to mechbays when they come on sale.
It's obviously a very important source of money for PGI. So no mechbays for C-bills.

#66 Duncan1dah0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:15 PM

They have to pay the bills somehow.

#67 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:20 AM

View PostDuncan1dah0, on 14 December 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

They have to pay the bills somehow.

1. Make mech-bays buyable with C-bills and rather expensive.
2. This increases the "grind"
3. Increased "grind" increases the amount of sold premium time
4. ......
5. Profit

#68 Lanstrike

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

I like the idea of 1,500,000 c-bill and increasing it after every purchase. That is great for starting players. However I think 12 million c-bills is unrealistic for something that only cost 300mc to 150mc. There has to be some sort of sweet spot for increasing it but not costing more than the value of MC when converted to c-bills in the store.

#69 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:16 PM

My first opinion still stands. start each player with 4 mechbays (they are already doing this), then allow them to buy up to 2 more for C-Bills. That's enough to let you master 2 chassis, and keep all the variants. Beyond that, it should stay MC only.

#70 Famine

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:59 AM

New players CAN get mechbays though, a significant number of them. Just by playing community warfare, loyalty point ranks have periodic unlocks of mechbays. Play long enough, and rotate through the factions, and there's a pile of them in there. And with events being more frequent than ever, you can earn more MC for more bays, or straight up win bays anyhow. By the time you've gotten all those bays, you've sunk enough time into this game that I'd argue PGI has earned the right to ask you to pay for more.

ultimately, its not going to happen that they come to C-Bills anytime soon, if only because some players have spent significant amounts of real world cash to gain those bays. Be a bit of a slap to the face, even if they refunded the MC, I can't turn it back to real money, so all it'd do is bleed PGI of a couple months of my usual spending here while I drain out that MC into premium, or champions, or the like.

#71 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:42 AM

If you play the game enough to want more mech bays then you should probably drop some coin and help pay for the game your getting into.

Most other titles want $60-80 at time of release and thats before you even try out the game. At least PGI let you play and see if you like it first without asking for money.

#72 Heartless Saint

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

How about C-Bills+MC?

Edited by Heartless Saint, 30 December 2015 - 11:41 AM.

#73 Mmerryweather

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:38 AM

'Mech bays for MC makes sense. 'Mech bays for CBills does not. Maybe a new recruit bonus of a couple of 'Mech bays would be appropriate. There are plenty of event giveaways that include MC and even 'Mech bays. If you like the game enough to want more than the starting pack of 'Mech bays and the availability of Trial 'Mechs, then spend the $7 on MC. Put away a dollar a week, or every other week, if you have to.

You don't want to spend actual currency on a game? Then you should've probably spent the time you've wasted playing this game and posting in the forums on filling out job applications or dusting of your resume because you have much larger issues to deal with.

I've got 48 'Mech bays. I've bought 8 of them with actual currency. The rest? Giveaways and CW. If you don't want to grind even a little for them, then why do you want them in the first place? You do know how much grinding it can take to buy and fully upgrade a 'Mech, right?

There are many, many, more pressing issues PGI should deal with when considering how to impress their player base and compete with more profitable and popular F2P franchises.

#74 spartync

• Pip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:03 PM

This is not a different model from other FTP games.

The reality is that the game costs money to continually develop, host, and keep fun.

The mech bay purchases are a modest way to guarantee income in my opinion. Not to mention, right now they're only 150MC a piece. Ideally, you'd be saving up those earned MC throughout the year. In the stocking stuffer alone I was able to earn more than 300 MC just from playing matches. I got 2 bays for that in the current sale which is 6 different bays or enough to Master 2 different mechs without spending a dime.

The bottom line is that if you're unwilling to spend some money for this game, then there's plenty of opportunities for the patient to earn MCs for nothing and get bays.

I don't see the purchase of a CBILL purchasable bay.

#75 McMurl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 186 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

id say tentatively yes, but make them STUPIDLY expensive, like 10-20mil cbills each. This is a P4F game, therefor PGI needs to make money somehow.

Also know that with nearly every event you make atleast 500MC if you do well. The reason why this was added is solely because some people just cant throw money at the game, so being stuck with 4 mechbays SUCKS, this gives players a chance to expand their stable of mechs.

#76 VonRunnegen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:23 AM

Lots of "They have to pay the bills" comments in this thread. While true, to get more money their main goals should be getting more users and more people playing regularly, not putting people off for the gain of about a dollar. A small percentage of users getting hooked and spending loads is one of the ways to make cash in FTP models, the other involving frequent micro-transactions. (Obviously there are variations and combos) Mechbays as they stand don't fit either model.

#77 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:09 PM

View PostVonRunnegen, on 17 January 2016 - 07:23 AM, said:

Lots of "They have to pay the bills" comments in this thread. While true, to get more money their main goals should be getting more users and more people playing regularly, not putting people off for the gain of about a dollar. A small percentage of users getting hooked and spending loads is one of the ways to make cash in FTP models, the other involving frequent micro-transactions. (Obviously there are variations and combos) Mechbays as they stand don't fit either model.

You can earn 10 Mechbays FOR FREE. Before factoring in events. You get these, just by playing the game. Earning rank 2 in every CW faction earns a mechbay per faction (that's 10). Then factor in how almost every event or every other event comes with Mechbay rewards, and MC rewards. You can easily get 15 mechbays without paying a cent. If you decide to hit rank 6 in CW per faction, that's another 10 mechbays, so you're getting about 25 mechbays (10 from CW rank 2 + 5 or so from events, + another 10 from CW rank 6), without paying a single cent. Then there are the events where you earn regular mechs, which you can sell to free up a mechbay.

Let's not forget the times when mechbays are on sale at 50%, which means that you can get about a dozen for a very tiny fiscal contribution. Or save up the MC you get from events, and then buy them at 50%.

I'm sorry, but they're already giving us tons of free mechbays. If people can't be bothered to do 5 CW drops to hit rank 2 in a faction for a mechbay, or play during events to earn 1 or 2 free ones, then it's not really on PGI to make the access any easier than it already is.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 17 January 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#78 VonRunnegen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:12 AM

That's true, and I did not realise how easy it was to earn having done most of my playing several years ago. However, most advice etc around CW suggests not doing it until you've got your own mechs - which means you're building with just four bays, preventing the 2x efficiency unlock unless you want to just have 4 of one mech, which I suspect most new people don't want to do.

Honestly I feel it's not a problem longer term with all the free bays players can earn, but puts a roadblock in place to getting started. FTP players are essential to the wellbeing of the game and anything that quickly puts them off is something to be avoided.

Having said all that, I dropped in CW with some trial mechs just to see how it'd go and honestly they are not that bad nowadays - I remember them as being seriously terrible. So maybe the 'answer' is simply to not discourage new players from going into CW in trial mechs, allowing them to unlock mechbays for free.

#79 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:55 AM

@IraqiWalker
You are, of course, correct. The point of this thread, however, seems to be for new players.
If a new player plays a couple of games (let´s say the 25 cadet matches) and then starts to buy his first one or two mechs and realizes that he has only 4 mech-bays and that he can´t get any more without spending real money (from his, admittedly, uniformed POV), I would estimate that quit a few go: "F**k that s**t, I´m outta here!"
Giving them the ability to _buy_ mech-bays with in-game currency would prevent that.

Yes, if he comes on the forum, a _ton_ of people will tell him, that he can earn those bays by playing, but we have to be realistic here. The players who come to the forum are an _extreme_ minority of the player base in every game.

#80 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:01 PM

View PostAntecursor Venatus, on 18 January 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

@IraqiWalker
You are, of course, correct. The point of this thread, however, seems to be for new players.
If a new player plays a couple of games (let´s say the 25 cadet matches) and then starts to buy his first one or two mechs and realizes that he has only 4 mech-bays and that he can´t get any more without spending real money (from his, admittedly, uniformed POV), I would estimate that quit a few go: "F**k that s**t, I´m outta here!"
Giving them the ability to _buy_ mech-bays with in-game currency would prevent that.

Yes, if he comes on the forum, a _ton_ of people will tell him, that he can earn those bays by playing, but we have to be realistic here. The players who come to the forum are an _extreme_ minority of the player base in every game.

I still stand by my original suggestion:

If we're ever going to let something like this happen, it should be no more than 2 bays with C-Bills. Letting new players know how to get more bays through CW is another issue, which can be solved relatively easily though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users