Bj-1Dc Question

38 replies to this topic

#1 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

Given it's piss-poor performance, I have to ask:
  • Is the BJ-1DC supposed to be a crappy, throw-away cannon-fodder infantry mech like the Hunchback?
Even among the mediocre Blackjacks, this one really stands out as a truly horribly performing model. Of particular note, amongst its Blackjack peers:
  • Exceptionally bad turning (even with highest engine it can run)
  • Exceptionally limited torso twist range
  • No jump jets

Edited by Savage Sweets, 27 January 2015 - 12:03 PM.

#2 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostSavage Sweets, on 27 January 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

• Is the BJ-1DC supposed to be a crappy, throw-away cannon-fodder infantry mech like the Hunchback?
Even among the mediocre Blackjacks, this one really stands out as a truly horribly performing model. Of particular note, amongst its Blackjack peers:
  • Exceptionally bad turning (even with highest engine it can run)
  • Exceptionally limited torso twist range
  • No jump jets

Well lookiing on Sarna, it seems that it wasn't a very popular unit to say the least...

http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29

#3 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 27 January 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

Well lookiing on Sarna, it seems that it wasn't a very popular unit to say the least...

http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29

According to the article, despite its unpopularity, its perceived flaws were nothing more than myths.
A garrison of Blackjacks is later remarked to have fended off waves of lights, thus making it renowned as a light killer, which it certainly isn't in its current MWO state.

#4 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:47 PM

Well in TT an Atlas is usually going to give you a bad time, and at 3050 a Dire Wolf was a case of brown trousers time....

In MWO, both are bordering on jokes.

#5 Risen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:53 AM

there is a massive difference between MWO and BT TT so no comparison possible imho

this scared off most of my BT playing friends

and for the topic:
the Blackjack 1 DC is even worse than the standard BJ and that one is bad in TT terms!
low caliber AC's are just sad in TT :(

Edited by Risen, 28 January 2015 - 05:04 AM.

#6 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:22 AM

I've seen Maulers do bad things with those 4 AC2's....

#7 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 27 January 2015 - 03:47 PM, said:

Well in TT an Atlas is usually going to give you a bad time, and at 3050 a Dire Wolf was a case of brown trousers time....

In MWO, both are bordering on jokes.

Atlases bordering on being a joke? Yes, I can see that. But not a Dire Wolf. It's laughably slow, but the broken amount of firepower (and screen shake) it can have is certainly not a joke.

View PostRisen, on 28 January 2015 - 04:53 AM, said:

the Blackjack 1 DC is even worse than the standard BJ and that one is bad in TT terms!
low caliber AC's are just sad in TT :(

So the 1DC really is the pariah/underdog of Blackjacks in the BT universe?

#8 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostSavage Sweets, on 29 January 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

Atlases bordering on being a joke? Yes, I can see that. But not a Dire Wolf. It's laughably slow, but the broken amount of firepower (and screen shake) it can have is certainly not a joke.

As a pilot that spent a lot of time in the PUGlfe que, Dire Wolve are only a threat if you stand in their very limited firing arch, and if you have a mech that can do at least 81kph, you can stay out of that arch easily.

And yes, I did elite all three of my Dire Wolves, two as 6 x cUAC 5, and one as quad LBX 10.

#9 HelBound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

I run one of these ATM while trying to master the chassis.

I use 2 AC5s in the arms and 2 ML. It does consistent damage, I can usually pull 500dmg per game.
In my mind this chassis has 1 roll which the quirks helps it fulfil. Mini-rifleman, I roll with the assults and Jagers and pelt rounds down range until Im out of ammo (which happens quickly).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5a27ceedce7f41b

By far the worst variant of the bunch though, if your engaged in semi-close range your borked. The mech can't react fast enough to do anything.

#10 Risen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:18 AM

Since I am always referring to stock mech load outs in this forum the 1DC looses it's jumpjets for 2 small lasers and an additional heat sink.
Small lasers are just bad on such a slow mech.
No Jump Jets make the mech even slower or rather less maneuverable.
The additional heat sink is not really needed since 2 meds (6) + 2 AC2s (2) + 2 smalls (2) = 10 + movement so it runs ice cold without the 11th heatsink...

#11 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:39 AM

I did really well with a BJ-1DC going 89.1 kph with nearly full (2 points short) armor, an AC5 w/ 5 tons of ammo and 3 medium lasers. In case it isn't obvious, you don't want to use an XL engine with a Blackjack. Interestingly, I got a Hunchback 4G only a couple of months ago and it's currently my best-performing 'mech and the farthest thing from being cannon fodder.

#12 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:43 AM

Even among the mediocre Blackjacks

Now, whilst I do agree that the BJ-1DC is the worst of the BlackJacks, I fail to see how the mechseries that contains the BJ-1X (which is arguably the second best IS medium brawler in the game. WVR-6K taking first place) could be described as mediocre,...

#13 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:07 AM

View PostPyckenZot, on 30 January 2015 - 02:43 AM, said:

Now, whilst I do agree that the BJ-1DC is the worst of the BlackJacks, I fail to see how the mechseries that contains the BJ-1X (which is arguably the second best IS medium brawler in the game. WVR-6K taking first place) could be described as mediocre,...

In their stock configurations.

#14 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:15 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 30 January 2015 - 05:07 AM, said:

In their stock configurations.

Copy, that explains a lot! :)

#15 King Kuranes

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

View PostHelBound, on 29 January 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

I run one of these ATM while trying to master the chassis.

I use 2 AC5s in the arms and 2 ML. It does consistent damage, I can usually pull 500dmg per game.
In my mind this chassis has 1 roll which the quirks helps it fulfil. Mini-rifleman, I roll with the assults and Jagers and pelt rounds down range until Im out of ammo (which happens quickly).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5a27ceedce7f41b

By far the worst variant of the bunch though, if your engaged in semi-close range your borked. The mech can't react fast enough to do anything.

This exactly. If you aren't running the 1DC as a medium support AC5 beast you are truly doing it wrong. I honestly love it. a 500-800 dmg monster if you stick to the group and convince the enemy they are a better target.

I reiterate, this is a support mech, don't lone wolf away from the group and expect it to survive.

#16 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:23 AM

In some respects its AC5s are borderline broken i mean when you have the module and everything your practically shooting them like AC2 speeds so the equivilent of 5x base AC2 compressed into 2x AC5s

#17 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:06 AM

on the topic of blackjacks, ive noticed that it can miss legs on stationary smaller mechs when trying to shoot them directly at 200m or so... that probably needs to be checked out

#18 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:23 AM

blackjack-1DC is totally fine where its at. a good medium-long range supporter.
ac5 fire fast and precise, all you need is good aim and terrain overview. you dont even need speed or XL engines.
i run mine at 71.3kph standard engine, 150 ac5 shots and 2 small lasers as backup.
thats enough for a average 400 damage which is quite enough for a medium of its size.
tops i done was 776 damage. small laser pew from above into canyons ftw.
by the time i run out of ammo the mech itself is usually wrecked anyway lol.
last thing you should do is stick close to the front, rather be at the back or sides of your team. even a far flank works if you got some backup with you.

#19 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:19 AM

You don't want a Blackjack in the open field. It has terrible hitboxes. All the chassis really offers is the two high weapon arms. Unless you want to try poptarting with the BJ-3, all of the variants belong behind a ridge, on a ramp, or poking a corner - preferably one 4-500m from the fighting.

In that role the 1DC offers better range and much higher DPS than the 1X, at the cost of less accuracy and a lower alpha. It doesn't perform as consistently as the 1X, in my experience, but . . .that DPS is really a thing. If you have a good match with the right conditions (ones that let you stay on target for a while without taking return fire) the 1DC can easily hit 800 damage.

#20 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:13 AM

I run my 1DC with 2 AC5's and as much ammo as I can fit but I don't feel that it's great mech TBH. It's got a solid DPS with the fast firing AC5's and the fact that they are mounted in the arms means it's good at 'poke and shoot' warfare. I can easily rack up tons of damage if I get the oppertunity to catch enemy mechs out in the open. It also runs very cool so I can fire as much as I want without needing to worry about overheating.

On the down side I've found that the Blackjack does die suprisingly quickly. Once you start taking enemy fire you can quickly get into trouble. I've als found that it doesn't seem to get many kills. It does a lot of damage but it doesn't have that killer blow. It quickly empties its ammo bins as well and there have been plenty of games where I've chewed through 8+ tons of AC5 ammo. The two AC5's and the ammo needed to keep them shooting also means that the mech isn't that fast even with an XL engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users