45 replies to this topic

#1 ATM87

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

So with the inclusion of the Urbanmech by popular demand, there's been talk of additional fan favorites making their way into the game. That said, without melee, there just isn't any way for some classic mechs (those equipped with axes or swords) to enter the game. That said, here is my proposal to allow melee combat.

Make the melee weapon take up a hardpoint. for example, with the Hatchetman battlemech, it would have a Melee hardpoint in its right hand. Then, make a melee weapon (or two, sword/hatchet) that does damage based on the weight of the equipping mech. Finally, make a standard weapon with an extremely short range (0-5M) that deals FLD to whatever section you're currently aiming at. throw in a custom arm-swinging animation that begins when you pull the trigger and ends when the cooldown finishes, and BAM. you have your handheld weapon.

No need to fix knockdowns or collisions, just an extremely short ranged weapon that has a special animation.

maybe make sparks fly if the weapon registers a hit. That would be cool.

Thoughts?

#2 Xythius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

I think melee is a system that is unnecessary in MWO at the current time. We already have hitreg issues with certain weapons/'mechs and even invisible walls on some terrain features. Combine that with the atrocious rubber banding effect that occurs in close contact with another 'mech and you will just have another system that doesn't work well given the parameters at hand.

No.

#3 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

yes someday, it is a must

and those above are just low excuses.

Edited by Jaeger Gonzo, 27 January 2015 - 04:51 PM.

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

When the devs are able to work on collision code and inverse kinematics, they might also be able to include simple melee animations, since it's a low priority right now.

And animations in general also need tweaks and improvements, especially jump animations.

So it's just a matter of time for the devs to focus on collision code and animations, hopefully they can start later this year.

#5 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

There's more to melee than hatchets, you know.

#6 Atlasian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:20 AM

Ok, how will it work?

I'm imagining - Press a specific key to.. say.. Punch or swing an hatchet. The torso will lock in the current position and the weapons in the arms locked. The arm then swings out in front. This may takes a 2 seconds to execute. So it is only effective against an almost stationary target. Difficult to use in fact. And it adds heat.

Hand actuators cause more damage in a punch.

What do you think?

Edited by Atlasian, 28 January 2015 - 12:39 AM.

#7 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:35 AM

Plenty of computer games out there with good melee, but we need to be looking at multiplayer games, not single player games.

I think many of us will remember computer games that implemented melee very poorly, like Jedi Knight 1 & 2, where light saber combat became more like jousting. Melee also looks ridiculous in FPS games like Counter Strike, where people are circle strafing and slashing their knives through the air.

Can anyone come up with examples of a multiplayer FPS that did melee the way we want to see it in MWO?

#8 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:07 AM

To add to that, what happens when two melee weapons hit each other?

#9 SolutionCat

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

Bump for support, I always up vote melee. The day I can punch a direwolfs head in the day with my Atlas the day I buy a fidora and tip it to pgi.

#10 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

Sorry... This is all I see when the topic of melee in MW:O comes up considering the marginal animations we are afforded.

Posted Image

#11 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:34 AM

As a Clanner, I must say this:

Posted Image

#12 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 28 January 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

Plenty of computer games out there with good melee, but we need to be looking at multiplayer games, not single player games.

I think many of us will remember computer games that implemented melee very poorly, like Jedi Knight 1 & 2, where light saber combat became more like jousting. Melee also looks ridiculous in FPS games like Counter Strike, where people are circle strafing and slashing their knives through the air.

Can anyone come up with examples of a multiplayer FPS that did melee the way we want to see it in MWO?

I'm thinking of games like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare which is basically pure melee.

In another thread I proposed using a key modifier that would allow a mouse swing to perform a melee strike in that direction and this is basically the system that is implemented by Chivalry. It should be clumsier and more uncertain to use in MWO but with a chance for some great rewards if the strike connects.

While using the modifier key it would be impossible to fire other weapons and following a strike there should be a 1-2 second cooldown during which your mech regains its balance. During that time no other melee attacks could be performed and weapons fire should have erratic accuracy.

#13 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

View PostBurktross, on 27 January 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

There's more to melee than hatchets, you know.

This!!
Mechs with at least one real hand/claw will rule!!! Most mechs without hand/claws didnt do much melee combat in the Battletech books.

Edited by mogs01gt, 26 February 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#14 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 26 February 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

This!!
Mechs with at least one real hand/claw will rule!!! Most mechs without hand/claws didnt do much melee combat in the Battletech books.

Yen Lo Wang double tap! Claw at you opponent and they smack 'em point blank with a AC20 shell!

#15 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

hahah so funny and lore appropriate that its the Clanners who hate the idea of Melee, LOL.

They should put some strict limits on how its used so it can't be spammed or abused. Like time lockouts and self damage if you're not using a melee weapon but kicking or punching. Also the damage won't be that reasonable unless you're using an axe or club, so there is an obvious trade off. If you get close enough to melee, the enemy is obviously going to get a number of free weapon shots.

Like maybe a punch could do random 1-8 damage, a kick do slightly more, a weapon won't go above 15-20, but has more critical chances etc. And you have to be at point blank range. So everyones going to deal with the tradeoff, but can always do damage of some type as long as they have an arm or two legs.

I guess you could enter a one legged locust into an ass kicking contest, but I'd only expect it to fall over.

#16 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Berserker

You know you want it.

#17 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:12 PM

View PostBagheera, on 26 February 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

All I want from that is the Triple Strength Myomer which is available in our 3050 timeline...

#18 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

View PostPowerOfNapes, on 26 February 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Yen Lo Wang double tap! Claw at you opponent and they smack 'em point blank with a AC20 shell!

This was a reason why the Shadowhawk was such a great mech in the Battletech novels.. It had range dominance, UAC5 + LRMs, then it could jump on your face in melee range.

I never read if Cents ever did that in the books.

Edited by mogs01gt, 26 February 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#19 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 26 February 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

This was a reason why the Shadowhawk was such a great mech in the Battletech novels.. It had range dominance, UAC5 + LRMs, then it could jump on your face in melee range.

I never read if Cents ever did that in the books.

Well they didn't jump... but they could get in your face, and wreak you with that big gun of theirs....

#20 Vahnn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 357 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFargo

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

War of the Roses has some delightfully clunky melee combat that would feel right at home in MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users