Performance

7 replies to this topic

#1 Frytrixa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm playing MWO over 2years now and I think it is a great game! I spend alot of money and I like to support this Project.

BUT!

There is nothing more annoying to be in an intense dogfight and suddenly the framerate drops from 200 to 20 and you die because you can't hold the crosshair.
Even more if you take a look at your hardware monitor and see that it's max. load is at 80%

Posted Image

RIG:
- Haswell 4670k @ 4,3GHz
- 2xGTX970 SLI
- 8GB RAM
- resolution 2560x1080px

As you can see I'm able to run SLI with two state of the art GTX970 but I have to disable it in MWO because this game take no advantage of two cards :/
- AT LEAST YOU COULD FIX THAT ANNOYING TEXTURE FLICKERING IN SLI MODE

The most impact on performance drops come from the particle and smoke effects. When I fire rockets and move backwards through the smoke or if I blow up dust.
Another Thing is MSAA & TXAA, it's freaking awesome, the game looks so smooth and so good but aswell it has a massive impact on the VRAM and in combination with the smoke and particle effects no machine on earth can handle it :'<

It's a pity to see a good machine lurking at 70-80% load while the game itself has problems to reach constantly 60fps.
PLEASE DO SOMETHING -.-

Edited by Frytrixa, 27 January 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#2 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

The game hasn't been optimized for a very long time. There are a lot of ppl like you who are experiencing the same thing as well.

#3 Frytrixa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:55 AM

The 64Bit Client was a good thing for memory adressing and it shows that optimizing is not dead.
I really hope that there will be future optimizations.
As Wing 0 said, there are many many players with the same problem.

#4 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:34 AM

GTX970 - "The 4 GB card seems to run into issues addressing the last 400 to 600 MB of memory, which is significant."
http://www.guru3d.co...cation-bug.html
224 Bit Memory Bus instead of 256 Bit (Its funtctionally 224Bit 3.5GB VRAM + 32Bit 0.5GB VRAM)
56 ROPs instead of 64 (with 52 at Full Performance)
1792 Cache instead of 2048

PS: FYI - i dont know if it would affect MWO

Edited by Thorqemada, 28 January 2015 - 04:34 AM.

#5 Wicked12B

• PipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMass

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:47 AM

Same here I go from 120fr to 30-20 in a heavy fight with smoke and so forth

It`s been almost 3 years, they have time for more mechs and other stuff for money but no performance or maps

Time to stop with all the bull and fix this!

I love game but it`s getting old fast!

#6 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:53 AM

View PostFrytrixa, on 27 January 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

Hey Guys,

I'm playing MWO over 2years now and I think it is a great game! I spend alot of money and I like to support this Project.

BUT!

There is nothing more annoying to be in an intense dogfight and suddenly the framerate drops from 200 to 20 and you die because you can't hold the crosshair.
Even more if you take a look at your hardware monitor and see that it's max. load is at 80%

Posted Image

RIG:
- Haswell 4670k @ 4,3GHz
- 2xGTX970 SLI
- 8GB RAM
- resolution 2560x1080px

As you can see I'm able to run SLI with two state of the art GTX970 but I have to disable it in MWO because this game take no advantage of two cards :/
- AT LEAST YOU COULD FIX THAT ANNOYING TEXTURE FLICKERING IN SLI MODE

The most impact on performance drops come from the particle and smoke effects. When I fire rockets and move backwards through the smoke or if I blow up dust.
Another Thing is MSAA & TXAA, it's freaking awesome, the game looks so smooth and so good but aswell it has a massive impact on the VRAM and in combination with the smoke and particle effects no machine on earth can handle it :'<

It's a pity to see a good machine lurking at 70-80% load while the game itself has problems to reach constantly 60fps.
PLEASE DO SOMETHING -.-

got an Ivy Bridge i5 at 4 Ghz
16 GB RAM
gtx 780

same thing for particles
turn them down, especially steam is a killer
try shooting a rock in testing grounds with lasers while face hugging it, gonna see the fps dive downwards as well -_-

as is the HUD, which Alexander Garden promised would be looked at

that being said, I had good impressions running MWO on Windows 10
seemed to be better on average fps
also 64 bit client might do something for you
or not
just depends on luck and how often you pray B)

I have a new Windows 7 64 bit install and on another SSD Windows 10
but ultimately I think I still noticed a small fps decrease with every patch being applied
like 1 to 2 fps for every patch since the last time of cleaning up the code, which was quite a while ago

View PostThorqemada, on 28 January 2015 - 03:34 AM, said:

GTX970 - "The 4 GB card seems to run into issues addressing the last 400 to 600 MB of memory, which is significant."
http://www.guru3d.co...cation-bug.html
224 Bit Memory Bus instead of 256 Bit (Its funtctionally 224Bit 3.5GB VRAM + 32Bit 0.5GB VRAM)
56 ROPs instead of 64 (with 52 at Full Performance)
1792 Cache instead of 2048

PS: FYI - i dont know if it would affect MWO

well if you run this game in 4k sure it would matter
or
if you use max AA, maybe
or
DSR
otherwise this game should not really max out VRAM in a way that it impacts fps
I mean look at the textures
if Far Cry 4 could run on his system maxed (like it does for me with lower specs, same resolution) then it should handle this game fine

http://www.anandtech...ry-allocation/4

GeForce GTX 970: Correcting The Specs & Exploring Memory Allocation said:

Coming up with real (non-synthetic) gaming workloads that can utilize between 3.5GB and 4GB of VRAM while not running into a rendering performance wall is already a challenge, and all the more so when trying to find such workloads that actually demonstrate performance problems.

GeForce GTX 970: Correcting The Specs & Exploring Memory Allocation said:

NVIDIA is likely on the right track and the GTX 970 should still be considered as great a card now as it was at launch.

#7 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

Set Particles > Low
It's the real killer here.

#8 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:15 AM

I guess you dont want play Star Citizen with a 970 then...

PS:
http://www.mweb.co.z...GB-debacle.aspx
"A quick note about the GTX980 here: It uses a 1KB memory access stride to walk across the memory bus from left to right, able to hit all 4GB in this capacity, but the GTX970 and it's altered design has to do things differently. If you walked across the memory interface in the exact same way, over the same 4GB capacity, the 7th crossbar port would tend to always get twice as many requests as the other ports (because it has 2 memories attached). In the short term that could be ok due to queuing in the memory path. But in the long term if the 7th port is fully busy, and is getting twice as many requests as the other port then the other 6 must be only half busy to match teh 2:1 ratio. So the overall bandwidth would be roughtly half of peak. This would cause dramatic underutilization and would prevent optimal performance and efficiency for the GPU."

Edited by Thorqemada, 29 January 2015 - 09:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users