Sooo...back After A Year...

23 replies to this topic

#1 Kasseopea

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

Well, first off - the hell happened to the Mechbay? When i left i remember to actually not needing a magnifying glass for every piece of equipment and instead there were parts of the mech that got zoomed on and you could choose what you would place where. Intuitive, pretty, awesome. Now we got what? Excel?

Next thing i would like to know - are my PPC Stalker and K2-Catapult still viable? Because it looks like im doing 0 damage with my gauss now. It hits, i get kill assists, but doing only like 150 damage while my damn jenner is rocking 685 with his 6 lasers.

Planning on getting Daishi, since it was together with Dire Wolf and Archangel one of my favorite mechs (though Archangel and Nightstar are still somehow not implemented. Fckn King Crap is, but not Archangel and Nightstar -.-)

Aside from that i would love to know whats the deal with the factions is. I chose the Rasalhague, but they have about 5% of the global map. Luckily i picked the 7-days contract and not loyalist -.-. Guess my next pick will be Steiner, its the lesser evil.

Also - whats the fastest way to earn c-bills? The Daishi costs 18m and i earn about 100k-200k per battle. Not really in the mood to grind through 150 battles to get the first proper Mech they released.

Edited by Kasseopea, 27 January 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

UI 2.0, brah. It was part of the Jesus patches that would bring MWO to true greatness.

#3 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

Find a unit that drops often and wins often. You can rake in quite a bit of c-bills that way.

#4 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

Do I have to give you back your stuff too?

#5 norus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 222 posts
  • LocationN.A.

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

http://metamechs.com...-lists/is-list/

This'll give you an idea of what mechs are good. It isn't perfect and the builds might take some customization to tweak it to you but it's a good starting point. I'd say ppc stalker is a resounding hell no, catapult is very ehhhh. Better off with something else.

#6 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

PPC Stalker? Sounds more like you've been gone 2 years. It hasn't been viable since ghost heat was implemented. You will probably like the Thunderbolt 9S now though, since that's pretty close when built with 3 ERPPCs.

I quit shortly after the clan patch since it broke everything and made lights worthless, but the recent addition of quirks on top of several weapon balance changes brought me back since IS mechs and lights are viable again. Dozens of previously useless mechs and variants have viability now thanks to quirks.

Clan mechs are expensive but that's because you don't have to buy engines or upgrades for them. It's just more up front instead of in separate parts.

Community Warfare is still in early beta so I don't pay it much mind; I expect the map will be reset when it's considered done. Playing it and doing well gets you quite a bit of c-bills though. Earning c-bills in general is still pretty slow like it always was, just have to keep at it.

#7 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

Wait a week to play. There is a challenge right now with real money at stake and everyone has lost their F@*kin minds. RUN!!

#8 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:41 PM

Jenner still the damage, cbill making king of lag shields. I almost give up playing anything else in pugs as they are still the Scrublords they were a year ago and more..

#9 Direwoof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKamloooooooops

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:50 PM

I like the nova for the sheer amount of damage it does. I can frequently do 500 damage a game and usually get 6-10 assists. Which equals some decent C-bills.

Edited by CharAznable1996, 27 January 2015 - 10:50 PM.

#10 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:55 PM

View PostKasseopea, on 27 January 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Well, first off - the hell happened to the Mechbay? When i left i remember to actually not needing a magnifying glass for every piece of equipment and instead there were parts of the mech that got zoomed on and you could choose what you would place where. Intuitive, pretty, awesome. Now we got what? Excel?

Next thing i would like to know - are my PPC Stalker and K2-Catapult still viable? Because it looks like im doing 0 damage with my gauss now. It hits, i get kill assists, but doing only like 150 damage while my damn jenner is rocking 685 with his 6 lasers.

Planning on getting Daishi, since it was together with Dire Wolf and Archangel one of my favorite mechs (though Archangel and Nightstar are still somehow not implemented. Fckn King Crap is, but not Archangel and Nightstar -.-)

Aside from that i would love to know whats the deal with the factions is. I chose the Rasalhague, but they have about 5% of the global map. Luckily i picked the 7-days contract and not loyalist -.-. Guess my next pick will be Steiner, its the lesser evil.

Also - whats the fastest way to earn c-bills? The Daishi costs 18m and i earn about 100k-200k per battle. Not really in the mood to grind through 150 battles to get the first proper Mech they released.

Paulconomy says you shall remain space broke. You want that 18 million cbill daishi? Sign your life away to the game of MWO, and play 300 games, cuz that is how much your going to need to get just ONE Direwolf and get it tricked out. NExt, you need 2 more to masteer it...so about 1000 games later you will have your totally stock 3x Direwolves, another 200 for the mastery and then if you want modules, another 500 for the GXP and Cbills....

as if buying premium time will help much, cuts your total games down from like 2500 to like 2420....

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 27 January 2015 - 10:55 PM.

#11 Kasseopea

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:37 AM

View Postnorus, on 27 January 2015 - 08:22 PM, said:

http://metamechs.com...-lists/is-list/

This'll give you an idea of what mechs are good. It isn't perfect and the builds might take some customization to tweak it to you but it's a good starting point. I'd say ppc stalker is a resounding hell no, catapult is very ehhhh. Better off with something else.

You mean that Tier 1 Misery Stalker with 2 PPCs and a AC20 in the list you just posted....? -.-

Read about ghost heat. Sounds kind of bullshit to me. Loved to run a Supernova or a Daishi with full-large-laser. So its k to fire 100 missiles at once or all your ballistic weapons, but lasers are a no-no now?.... Is there any viable way to run a full-laser rig? I hate to split my loud out into different weapon types - i want to drive a mech, not a x-mas tree.

Aside from that, whats about the Gauss? Is it as strong as it was before? Is there a mech that can mount 3-4 of them by now? Im praying for Fafnir and Marauder, but i guess they are dead set on pushing underdogs into our face instead of the really strong mechs. Seriously, a team out of 3 Shadowcats, MadCat II, Archangel, Nightstar, Stone Rhino, Fafnir and a Thanatos and they will wipe everything and everyone without loosing a mech)

#12 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostKasseopea, on 28 January 2015 - 07:37 AM, said:

You mean that Tier 1 Misery Stalker with 2 PPCs and a AC20 in the list you just posted....? -.-

Read about ghost heat. Sounds kind of bullshit to me. Loved to run a Supernova or a Daishi with full-large-laser. So its k to fire 100 missiles at once or all your ballistic weapons, but lasers are a no-no now?.... Is there any viable way to run a full-laser rig? I hate to split my loud out into different weapon types - i want to drive a mech, not a x-mas tree.

Aside from that, whats about the Gauss? Is it as strong as it was before? Is there a mech that can mount 3-4 of them by now? Im praying for Fafnir and Marauder, but i guess they are dead set on pushing underdogs into our face instead of the really strong mechs. Seriously, a team out of 3 Shadowcats, MadCat II, Archangel, Nightstar, Stone Rhino, Fafnir and a Thanatos and they will wipe everything and everyone without loosing a mech)

You can only fire 2 gauss at a time. You can mount 3 on some mechs, but have to stagger fire them. With the firing mechanism, they are true sniper weapons. They still hit hard, but challenging to pull off.

You can still run mech loadouts that have ghost heat issues, but you have to again stagger your fire to avoid the penalty. 3 or 4 LL on some builds is still viable, but you shoot 2, wait half a second, then shoot the other ones. Can still put out some nice damage that way. The 4 ERLL Stalker still is something to worry about.

You can add modules to increase the range and reduce the cooldown as well. Targeting computers (Clan) and Command console to increase crit changes, reduce target acquisition info, yadda yadda yadda. Lots of changes to the game, lots of options to set it up to your preferred playstyle.

Welcome back!

#13 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

View PostKasseopea, on 28 January 2015 - 07:37 AM, said:

Ghost heat affects missiles and ballistics too, you can see the heat penalty chart here: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale

That tier list is pretty iffy, I wouldn't pay it much mind. How competitive a mech can be is determined more by what kind of loadouts it can carry and how good its firepoints and geometry are. Also, don't forget that "competitive" pretty much only matters to organized 12 mech teams.

Some of those mechs you want are Unseen and some of those are Jihad era, so you wont ever see either of those, since one would get PGI sued and the other would require skipping the timeline forward past the clan invasion.

#14 Kasseopea

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostHeffay, on 28 January 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

You can only fire 2 gauss at a time. You can mount 3 on some mechs, but have to stagger fire them. With the firing mechanism, they are true sniper weapons. They still hit hard, but challenging to pull off.

You can still run mech loadouts that have ghost heat issues, but you have to again stagger your fire to avoid the penalty. 3 or 4 LL on some builds is still viable, but you shoot 2, wait half a second, then shoot the other ones. Can still put out some nice damage that way. The 4 ERLL Stalker still is something to worry about.

You can add modules to increase the range and reduce the cooldown as well. Targeting computers (Clan) and Command console to increase crit changes, reduce target acquisition info, yadda yadda yadda. Lots of changes to the game, lots of options to set it up to your preferred playstyle.

Welcome back!

Hmm, alright. Any way for a proper zoom in? Because it feels like my guy just presses his face against the window when zooming and while aiming the crosshair jerks around and often goes either close to the target or slightly past it, so i have to try to aim like 5-6 times before it actually points at the enemy i want to.

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 28 January 2015 - 08:09 AM, said:

Some of those mechs you want are Unseen and some of those are Jihad era, so you wont ever see either of those, since one would get PGI sued and the other would require skipping the timeline forward past the clan invasion.

Dont know what you mean by Jihad or Unseen (im not THAT deep into MechWarrior background history and tbh dont remember any Kalashnikov-wielding psychopaths...), but Nightstar is 2767, Archangel is 3069, Stone Rhino 2847, Shadow Cat 3003, Mad Cat MKII 3066, Fafnir 3063, and Thanatos 3061.

Now we have Raven from 3024 (btw from the beginning, wonder how that worked out before the clan invasion happened), Cataphract from 3025, Daishi 3010, Masakari 2999 and Thor 2872. So time-wise you may argue that some of them will come later, but there is no excuse as to why at least 3 of those are not implemented yet, while being one of the strongest in their class, compared to some crap we got atm.

I dont really think they care much for the timeline if at all or for the Battlemech lore.

#15 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:22 AM

Proper zoom-in you mean like it changes your mouse sensativity at the same time?
Doesn't happen, but there are a bunch of zoom keybinds available now.
It takes practice, though. Personally I haven't had any issues with it, But I guess it comes down to preference

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 28 January 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#16 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:23 AM

View PostKasseopea, on 28 January 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

Hmm, alright. Any way for a proper zoom in? Because it feels like my guy just presses his face against the window when zooming and while aiming the crosshair jerks around and often goes either close to the target or slightly past it, so i have to try to aim like 5-6 times before it actually points at the enemy i want to.

There is an Advanced Zoom module that is perfect for what you're looking for. Very handy for long range sniping.

#17 saKhan Steiner Lawl Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostKasseopea, on 28 January 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

Dont know what you mean by Jihad or Unseen (im not THAT deep into MechWarrior background history and tbh dont remember any Kalashnikov-wielding psychopaths...), but Nightstar is 2767, Archangel is 3069, Stone Rhino 2847, Shadow Cat 3003, Mad Cat MKII 3066, Fafnir 3063, and Thanatos 3061.

Now we have Raven from 3024 (btw from the beginning, wonder how that worked out before the clan invasion happened), Cataphract from 3025, Daishi 3010, Masakari 2999 and Thor 2872. So time-wise you may argue that some of them will come later, but there is no excuse as to why at least 3 of those are not implemented yet, while being one of the strongest in their class, compared to some crap we got atm.

I dont really think they care much for the timeline if at all or for the Battlemech lore.

The die-hard vets quote time lore for reasons as to why mechs aren't released while others cry and get their way with nerfing Clan Tech to make things fair and balanced. Throw in "Magic Inner Sphere Mech Quirks" that make no sense at all (because you know, lore) and put in random ghost heat values (because again, lore... I mean, balance... or whatever.) Reduce ranges, increase heat values, all the while ignoring hit registry because the Urbanmech is so much more important to push out, because you know, lore or balance... wait, $. If what you're worried about is mech models, you're in luck, so just give it time. Those are what make money, not game balancing or core game mechanic fixes.

Edited by Lansid, 28 January 2015 - 09:36 AM.

#18 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

View PostKasseopea, on 27 January 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Best way is to join a good group that kicks butt in CW. If you play every night for an appreciable amount of time you will have your DWF in no more than a week, with my unit anyway.

#19 Kasseopea

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:46 AM

View PostHeffay, on 28 January 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

There is an Advanced Zoom module that is perfect for what you're looking for. Very handy for long range sniping.

Purrrfect, thanks^^

Now ive only got to get those ER PPCs on my Stalker and farm for Daishi. Its probably nerfed, but should still stomp most of the other mechs 6-feet-under in a 1on1

Edited by Kasseopea, 28 January 2015 - 09:48 AM.

#20 Red1769

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

You'll find light mechs to be the bane of your existance in a Dire Whale. And a tendency to be target numero uno when facing any amount of enemies no matter who is with you. With good reason, true enough. It's slow as hell in all aspects too, so be aware of that. You're very reliant on your team to support you...a feast or famine assault mech.

The Nightstar isn't reintroduced until later, production stopped during the First Succession War, hence one of the reasons we don't have it. The other reason is because the third varient uses weapons the IS don't have yet. Say what you will about PGI, they keep close with the timeline pretty well when it comes to mechs and mech varients. Only the S varients have been the deviants, but not by much. Archangel is too far ahead in the time line and again, weapons. Plus it needs melee. Agreed it's a badass looking mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users