64 replies to this topic

#1 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

Now that the remastered is coming out, someone really has to finish this.

http://www.moddb.com...tech-space-wars

#2 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

I hope you're joking.

#3 Goosfraba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:41 PM

I'm so getting this.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:11 AM

already ordered,

Homeworld is 3D space RTS, from the 90s Homeworld 2 was released in the early 2000s the fact that you are fighting in true 3D space as well as being a more complex game complete with a persistant fleet which you reaserch, build and upgrade over the entyre campaign as well as a deapth of tactical options made it a unique game with a slower pace than many other RTS games.

the remastered editions are designed to work properly with the moddern opperating systems as well as improving the graphics and sound while preserving the origional gameplay

#5 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:59 AM

Plus the battletech mod for it....

#6 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:05 AM

That would be great!

#7 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:56 AM

Jesus L Pug you're young. Don't you kids have google or wikipedia? :) Anyways, it's one of the best space tactical games ever. Some great mods as well(star trek, star wars, gundam) and an unfinished Battletech mod. It be sweet to get some Nightlord action going on.

#8 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:09 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 29 January 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

What is Homeworld?

one of the first true 3D RTS games.

Homeworld was great, preordered the remastered version on steam.

Edited by Lily from animove, 30 January 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#9 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:11 AM

Never had a chance to play it back in the days. It's mostly about strategy space combat right? And less about building an empire?

I like that second part better. Oh how I'd wish they'd redo Masters of Orion 2 with better graphics and better stability on the mp-side. (I'm trying to forget about MOO3)

#10 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 30 January 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

Never had a chance to play it back in the days. It's mostly about strategy space combat right? And less about building an empire?

I like that second part better. Oh how I'd wish they'd redo Masters of Orion 2 with better graphics and better stability on the mp-side. (I'm trying to forget about MOO3)

it's more the first one, you have the mothership capable f building ships and you build miners to mine asteroids. you also build researchships and proceed in your research. but all is over the entire campaign, and not the "start from scratch every missions" thing.

MOO3? it has some nice additional features (like the biomes every race had different) but a lot things were totally wrong :/
would totally buy another MOO2 redo. there was a greenlight game being quite similar in style trying to do so. There are also soem others trying to make somethign similar, bu they kinda weren't good.

What I don't like about howeworld 3 plans is that it is supposed to be RTS on a planet, meaning it takes the space genre a bit away and the true 3D strategy from it :/

Edited by Lily from animove, 30 January 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#11 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:01 AM

I am buying it, but to be smart I am not pre-ordering it in case it turns out to be a terrible port to modern PC systems. I don't think it will be, but never pre-order anything guys. Especially digital games on Steam. It could be buggy as hell.

The game is good, hard, but good. I have the original on my shelf next to me, but I've never beaten it. It had poor level of graphics even when it came out, but they did damned amazing things with those limited graphics.

View PostLily from animove, on 30 January 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

MOO3? it has some nice additional features (like the biomes every race had different) but a lot things were totally wrong :/
would totally buy another MOO2 redo. there was a greenlight game being quite similar in style trying to do so. There are also soem others trying to make somethign similar, bu they kinda weren't good.

You can still buy MOO-1 and MOO-2 for PC from Good Old Games, aka GOG for short. They didn't change anything, or make it prettier. They just got it to run on modern PC's. I have MOO-2 and still play it.

#12 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:25 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 06 February 2015 - 12:01 AM, said:

I am buying it, but to be smart I am not pre-ordering it in case it turns out to be a terrible port to modern PC systems. I don't think it will be, but never pre-order anything guys. Especially digital games on Steam. It could be buggy as hell.

The game is good, hard, but good. I have the original on my shelf next to me, but I've never beaten it. It had poor level of graphics even when it came out, but they did damned amazing things with those limited graphics.

You can still buy MOO-1 and MOO-2 for PC from Good Old Games, aka GOG for short. They didn't change anything, or make it prettier. They just got it to run on modern PC's. I have MOO-2 and still play it.

MOO2 still works fine, but a remastered version with better graphics would be nice, in the era of 800x600 screens the graphics worked, but now when screens have way bigger resolutions it starts lookign crappy.
honestly these old games on mobile would be great.

So I cna give you a feedback about bugs once its out, still so long to wait :P

Homeworld, well yeah it was a bit harder, ressources were rather limited. and a horrible mission was the space junk yard where you big ships were simply stolen xD

Edited by Lily from animove, 06 February 2015 - 02:26 AM.

#13 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:46 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 06 February 2015 - 02:25 AM, said:

Homeworld, well yeah it was a bit harder, ressources were rather limited. and a horrible mission was the space junk yard where you big ships were simply stolen xD

That mission is rather simple, but takes a while to complete, because you want to get rid of the mines before you start harvesting. Open spoiler for two possible solutions.

Spoiler

I played the campaign so often, that I know all the missions by heart. Where I have to place salvage corvettes for capturing when enemies are hypering in, for example.

Edited by Egomane, 06 February 2015 - 05:49 AM.

#14 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:39 AM

View PostEgomane, on 06 February 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

That mission is rather simple, but takes a while to complete, because you want to get rid of the mines before you start harvesting. Open spoiler for two possible solutions.

Spoiler

I played the campaign so often, that I know all the missions by heart. Where I have to place salvage corvettes for capturing when enemies are hypering in, for example.

yeah salvaging is the main part I did as well. I loved the design of those ion frigates that looked like a satellite with those solar collector like panels. And the multi laser frigates of those white guys.
Honestly I have not used the regular Kushan race you usual paly the campaign, I used the Kharak's ones since I liked their ship designes more. I used a shield frigate and those defense fighter to simply fly through all the turrets being shielded form their fire.

I really can't wait to play the game again with some updated graphics.

#15 SgtKinCaiD

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:25 AM

Got mine too !! Can't wait to play it again !!!!

#16 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:54 AM

I replayed missions over and over again until I captured everything. I captured every multi-beam frigate in the great neubla missions and even captured some fuel pods and kadeshi fighters (after they ran out of fuel). I eventually got to the missions where there was a giant sphere of ion frigates... gave up at that point because capturing them would have taken forever and I never beat the game.

#17 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

Greetings all,

Yes, the original is/has being re-mastered and released.
(with the original game designers still in the design and development loop, and working on the next release, there may even be 'new additions' for these original' releases. Who knows?)

But that is not the 'big' news.
- Quite a while ago the original designers of Homeworld tried to reacquire the licence from the owner.
(Relic going bankrupt as THQ's $ left.)
- At that time they were known as 'Blackbird Interactive', but failed/lost the rights purchase to 'Gearbox'.
- Gearbox had no plan for the iP, but knew 'something' would come up'.
- they teamed up with Blackbird who was designing a new prequel to Homeworld, called 'Hardware Shipbreakers'.
(set in the timeline just before the 'Cores' were discovered, and seen in the opening cinematic of the Homeworld game.)
- Blackbird Interactive and new Homeworld IP owner Gearbox Software announced a partnership, which sees Hardware: Shipbreakers become Homeworld: Shipbreakers. What once was a spiritual successor is now simply a successor.

For Blackbird, it's a chance to finally continue what began in Homeworld 1 and 2. The studio has the chance to make a full-fledged successor - Homeworld: Shipbreakers will actually be a prequel to the previous Homeworld titles - without having to worry about changing designs to avoid calling back to Homeworld too closely. It's a chance a number of other developers can only hope to have. (with Blackbird now having the resources and $ backing from Gearbox it's going to be great.)

For those that do not know, at the time, this game won top/best awards for just about everything in its class.
(circa 1999) And a truly 3D gameplay environment where x/y/z transition in space really did work. Music and simulated background comms was totally new in its overall effect while playing, and epic music at that. One of the only RTS's to show, just how big space is at that scale.

The next game, Shipbreakers, has some big time voice actors. And with motion cap and graphics capabilities 'going where no others have gone' this could be a very interesting release.

9erRed

#18 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:41 AM

View Post9erRed, on 08 February 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

Greetings all,

Yes, the original is/has being re-mastered and released.
(with the original game designers still in the design and development loop, and working on the next release, there may even be 'new additions' for these original' releases. Who knows?)

But that is not the 'big' news.
- Quite a while ago the original designers of Homeworld tried to reacquire the licence from the owner.
(Relic going bankrupt as THQ's $ left.)
- At that time they were known as 'Blackbird Interactive', but failed/lost the rights purchase to 'Gearbox'.
- Gearbox had no plan for the iP, but knew 'something' would come up'.
- they teamed up with Blackbird who was designing a new prequel to Homeworld, called 'Hardware Shipbreakers'.
(set in the timeline just before the 'Cores' were discovered, and seen in the opening cinematic of the Homeworld game.)
- Blackbird Interactive and new Homeworld IP owner Gearbox Software announced a partnership, which sees Hardware: Shipbreakers become Homeworld: Shipbreakers. What once was a spiritual successor is now simply a successor.

For Blackbird, it's a chance to finally continue what began in Homeworld 1 and 2. The studio has the chance to make a full-fledged successor - Homeworld: Shipbreakers will actually be a prequel to the previous Homeworld titles - without having to worry about changing designs to avoid calling back to Homeworld too closely. It's a chance a number of other developers can only hope to have. (with Blackbird now having the resources and $ backing from Gearbox it's going to be great.)

For those that do not know, at the time, this game won top/best awards for just about everything in its class.
(circa 1999) And a truly 3D gameplay environment where x/y/z transition in space really did work. Music and simulated background comms was totally new in its overall effect while playing, and epic music at that. One of the only RTS's to show, just how big space is at that scale.

The next game, Shipbreakers, has some big time voice actors. And with motion cap and graphics capabilities 'going where no others have gone' this could be a very interesting release.

9erRed

But it seems to be a non 3Dimensional combat system, so whats the point in this? its the "homeworld" stamp on a non homeworld game. It's not even slightly interesting me to have another "dimensional" RTS game because the market is flooded with it.

And you lats sentence is my biggets fear. Big time voice actors? WTF IS THAT GOOD FOR? that is not a core featur eof agame nor needed, it just costs more money and adds nothing to the game. As long as random randy does not have a crappy voice that is even better, because known voices already create links in peoples mind and so to be original and get memorizeable, you better take a "no one".
Same with graphics and sheeez, Thats going to cather t-ball generation, but graphic > substance is not a good concept for a good game its a concept for a good profitable product.

Edited by Lily from animove, 09 February 2015 - 02:47 AM.

#19 THE ERASER

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:25 AM

Some people did complain that the Remastered Collection does not come with the "Stand Alone Addon" Homeworld Cataclysm. I made some Researches and it seems the original Source got lost in the Process and I find it really plausible because back then Sierra Entertainment did commissioned Barking Dog Studios to do this Game. Barking Dog Studios did go to Rockstar Games (Rockstar Vancouver, now Rockstar Toronto) and I would bet Sierra must have had the original Source but was Close down by them self in 2008.

Source News Story: http://www.escapistm...the-Source-Code

#20 SgtKinCaiD

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:26 AM

View PostTHE ERASER, on 11 February 2015 - 02:25 AM, said:

Some people did complain that the Remastered Collection does not come with the "Stand Alone Addon" Homeworld Cataclysm. I made some Researches and it seems the original Source got lost in the Process and I find it really plausible because back then Sierra Entertainment did commissioned Barking Dog Studios to do this Game. Barking Dog Studios did go to Rockstar Games (Rockstar Vancouver, now Rockstar Toronto) and I would bet Sierra must have had the original Source but was Close down by them self in 2008.

Source News Story: http://www.escapistm...the-Source-Code

Thanks for the info, i was wondering too why Cataclysm wasn't included in the Remastered Collection.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users