#21 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:47 AM

View PostTHE ERASER, on 11 February 2015 - 02:25 AM, said:

Some people did complain that the Remastered Collection does not come with the "Stand Alone Addon" Homeworld Cataclysm. I made some Researches and it seems the original Source got lost in the Process and I find it really plausible because back then Sierra Entertainment did commissioned Barking Dog Studios to do this Game. Barking Dog Studios did go to Rockstar Games (Rockstar Vancouver, now Rockstar Toronto) and I would bet Sierra must have had the original Source but was Close down by them self in 2008.

Source News Story: http://www.escapistm...the-Source-Code

a bit sad, because the way you also customised your capital ship was cool. But cataclysm felt way too easy compared to homeworld. it was literally hard to fail even.

But still not a problem tbh.

#22 timaeus

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:34 AM

I am sooo looking forward to this. Have some great fond memories of playing way back on an old AMD K6-2 that would crawl when there were too many ships. I'm a little bummed that Cataclysm isn't included, and maybe it will be released to go with 1/2 eventually, but even without I'll be happy.

Salvage corvettes could be OP by abusing the AI but man was it fun in the end with a bunch of ion frigates rolling over everything.

#23 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:51 AM

View Posttimaeus, on 13 February 2015 - 03:34 AM, said:

I am sooo looking forward to this. Have some great fond memories of playing way back on an old AMD K6-2 that would crawl when there were too many ships. I'm a little bummed that Cataclysm isn't included, and maybe it will be released to go with 1/2 eventually, but even without I'll be happy.

Salvage corvettes could be OP by abusing the AI but man was it fun in the end with a bunch of ion frigates rolling over everything.

Ion frigates? or space squids?

Posted Image

I totally love the Taiidan ship design. It's a bit like, if the maya would have tavelled to space, they would have designed ships like that xD

#24 Abisha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:25 AM

when i read Homeworld remastered i think one of thing.

MONEY GRAB, serious 30 Euro's *that's a Full triple A quality price for something as this is just NOOOOooo.
don't be a idiot spending hard earned cash on this, ain't worth it.

Edited by Abisha, 13 February 2015 - 04:26 AM.

#25 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:40 AM

Currently I have some mixed feelings about the remastering of the first Homeworld. From what I have seen and read a few game elements are changed and I'm not sure I agree to those changes. Those changes are mostly made, because of the switch to the Homeworld II engine.

Fighters no longer need to be refuled.
Spoiler

Repair frigattes and corvettes now need to dock with target to initialize repairs.
Spoiler

I'm also not very fond of the Steam online only release, with no physical disc or anything like that. Not even in the collectors edition (not to mention how Gearbox failed with the CE massivly outside of the US (50 % more expensive, to late, to little and some broken promises)).

While I am hyped for a better graphics version of one of my favorite games, I will lean back and take a more detailed look once it has been released. Only after that, will I decide if I get the game or not. Probably not, because of the steam issue and my massive dislike for such DRM platforms. I still hope that we will get a GoG release in the future.

#26 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:09 AM

View PostAbisha, on 13 February 2015 - 04:25 AM, said:

MONEY GRAB, serious 30 Euro's *that's a Full triple A quality price for something as this is just NOOOOooo.

Actually I bbought a lot remakes of games, because these games are still indefinitely better than the crap that most so called AAA games are. Most indie devs create games with more depth, just less eye candy than those AAA titles. And all these so called "next gen" stuff is just hyped without any substance. And they are more a waste of money than a good game made with a upgraded graphics.

trible A quality LOL most triple A's were bad and didn't even had quality.

I woudl also like some remakes of the good old Might and magic seriies, M&M 10 was not really soemthign I would consider to buy, it was a slim versio of old M&M tiles.

I would also love to see a remake of black&white, it was extremely epic, but B&W2 was executed so badly basically 70% of the B&W features were just missing.

anyone played "from dust" I would love to see a populous remake using the "From dust" engine and features. All those games have horroble graphics now because of screensizes, but they are still alods of more fun than most new AAA titles, which are often just super repettive. Farcry serioes? Assasins creed? boah did they even had something new? they are so plain boring the same the entire time.

#27 timaeus

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 13 February 2015 - 03:51 AM, said:

I totally love the Taiidan ship design. It's a bit like, if the maya would have tavelled to space, they would have designed ships like that xD

Each race has some nice designs for their ships; the ion frigate, destroyers, and interceptors/scouts being some great designs for the Taiidan. If I had to pick I'd say the Taiidan were better designed (less generic?), but both were well done.

View PostAbisha, on 13 February 2015 - 04:25 AM, said:

Seems like a reasonable price to me once you realize they purchased the entire IP (a significant portion of cost they need to recoup), patched the code and intergrated HW1 into the second, stripped and fully replaced the render engine, and are updating all art and audio assets. Plus they are retooling and replacing the mod tools to work with newer technologies.

View PostEgomane, on 13 February 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

Currently I have some mixed feelings about the remastering of the first Homeworld. From what I have seen and read a few game elements are changed and I'm not sure I agree to those changes. Those changes are mostly made, because of the switch to the Homeworld II engine.

Fighters no longer need to be refuled.

Repair frigattes and corvettes now need to dock with target to initialize repairs.

I'm also not very fond of the Steam online only release, with no physical disc or anything like that. Not even in the collectors edition (not to mention how Gearbox failed with the CE massivly outside of the US (50 % more expensive, to late, to little and some broken promises)).

While I am hyped for a better graphics version of one of my favorite games, I will lean back and take a more detailed look once it has been released. Only after that, will I decide if I get the game or not. Probably not, because of the steam issue and my massive dislike for such DRM platforms. I still hope that we will get a GoG release in the future.

I've heard about the concerns with the refueling though not the repair frigates/corvettes. Do you have any info on where find out about that?

I suspect there probably won't be a GoG release of the HWR edition for a long time if ever only because of the multiplayer portion. If anything was to be released there it would be just the classic updated to work on new systems versions and nothing else.

#28 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

My favorite part about Homeworld in general is the art style. I used to check out all of the Terran Trade Authority books in my school library and read them all the time.

Homeworld is partly inspired by those colorful space ships that were airbrush art of people like Peter Elson. Homeworld's credits even mention Elson as an inspiration tribute.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I kept thinking how great it would be if I could get a TTA game, and then I keep remembering there already is one.

It is called Homeworld.

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 13 February 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#29 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:00 PM

View Posttimaeus, on 13 February 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

I've heard about the concerns with the refueling though not the repair frigates/corvettes. Do you have any info on where find out about that?

I got it from a german gaming magazine in an online preview article.

http://www.gamestar....13,3082920.html

Ebenfalls der Homeworld-2-Tradition entstammt, dass Reparaturfregatten und -korvetten nun am zu flickenden Schiff andocken müssen und nicht mehr einfach ihren »Heilstrahl« darauf richten können. Das macht Reparaturmanöver etwas zeitaufwändiger.

Translated:
Also inherited from the Homeworld 2 tradition, is that the repair frigattes and corvettes now need to dock with the ship to be repaired instead of aiming their healing beam on it. This will make repairs somewhat more time expensive.

#30 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:16 PM

For the purist out there you can play the original games on the remastered collection with no changes if you want to.

I believe that the Remastered Homeworld-1 will in fact be Homeworld 2 gameplay, but with the Homeworld-1 ships and story. The 2nd game had a somewhat better interface.

I.e. in Homeworld 1 you just built fighters. In Homeworld 2 you would build a single squadron of fighters as a single squadron already in a fixed group. You would not need to collect them up into a single control group and send them out that way, they were always in a group. Now Homeworld-1 will be the same.

Also, because they're going to allow all 4 fleets from the 2 games to battle in multiplayer my guess would be that they would need to play more similar to each other to be competitive.

Again, I believe that if you don't like things like that you can still play it in stock, original game as well, but that might also mean you get the 1990's graphics as well with their 100kilobyte textures on the ships.

#31 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:23 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 13 February 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

For the purist out there you can play the original games on the remastered collection with no changes if you want to.

No changes, exactly!
This also means, no 16:9, 16:10, 21:0 or any other non 4:3 or 5:4 resolution. You mention the non-updated graphics yourself. As I already have the original versions (CDs still in working condition, but also as an ISO saved to my harddrive and my weekly backups), I don't need a remastered edition to play them.

I believe that the Remastered Homeworld-1 will in fact be Homeworld 2 gameplay, but with the Homeworld-1 ships and story. The 2nd game had a somewhat better interface.

I prefer the HW1 interface, but that is personal preference. From the test I linked above, there are still problems with the scaling of the interface though. Hopefully, this is fixed, till release.

I.e. in Homeworld 1 you just built fighters. In Homeworld 2 you would build a single squadron of fighters as a single squadron already in a fixed group. You would not need to collect them up into a single control group and send them out that way, they were always in a group. Now Homeworld-1 will be the same.

Nope, HW1 will still have single fighters build and you need to collect them on your own. But for some reason, they are now using the audio line for HW 2 which announces readied squadrons. This will also hopefully be fixed till release. It's also mentioned in my above linked german article.

Edited by Egomane, 14 February 2015 - 12:19 AM.

#32 timaeus

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:42 PM

View PostEgomane, on 13 February 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

I got it from a german gaming magazine in an online preview article.

http://www.gamestar....13,3082920.html

Hmm I wonder if it has anything to do with how the HW1 resource collectors in the remaster now "dock" with resources rather than float around with the PDA because if they floated things started to break. eg. lots of unintentional ship collisions apparently.

Also, because they're going to allow all 4 fleets from the 2 games to battle in multiplayer my guess would be that they would need to play more similar to each other to be competitive.

Multiplayer is apparently supposed to be able to select between three rulesets. HW1 only, HW2 only, and Remastered (combined) so that would definitely be one of the big reasons for the multiplayer beta.

#33 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:19 AM

View Posttimaeus, on 13 February 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Each race has some nice designs for their ships; the ion frigate, destroyers, and interceptors/scouts being some great designs for the Taiidan. If I had to pick I'd say the Taiidan were better designed (less generic?), but both were well done.

yes, mostly because the taiidan empire is old, and so may already have done more individualised versions of ships, while the original plot makes you discover the technology during the journey and so the courvete hull looks the same on all courvetes, except the parts for the weapons. It makes much sense and most parts like coruvette vs frigate just looks like an upgraded version of the previous. Yesmore generic, but with very much logical more modern way of design behind it.

I guess a part of Homeworld sucess also comes form being bale to choose the color for your ships and also the faction, it adds a more personal style to the game. And makes it ataches you a bit more personal by this.

#34 Goosfraba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

20 hours to go.

#35 D34DMetal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts
  • Locationin a Mad Cat duh...

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:12 PM

Can't wait, so many feels. Except the laughable launch trailer that Gearbox just released. It's an abomination.

#36 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:51 AM

excited like a small child on christmas, I need to see if I can put a stream on and maybe stream this if someone wants to see a bit about it.

#37 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:07 PM

I almost called in sick to work today when I got up this morning, then I saw that it didn't unlock for another 3 hours. So off to work I went :lol:

Edited by reddevil, 25 February 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#38 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

Ok I played HW1 so far a bit and tested around..

the differences that are very visual at this point:

No 1. you can not play the HW 1 campaign with the Taiidan ships, really sad tbh.
No 2. The good old amazing look of a fully loaded missile destroyer unlaoding all his missiles is gone. The kraken like view is gone for a destroyer shooting missiles in a much lower frequency.
No 3. the field fregate is now a toggle effect, it can block any shots not, and has 10 sec effect and needs 10 seconds to regenerate. Much fun trying to do that micromanagement stuff during combat. (well not really). the old freagte made a lot more sense in my opinion, since it was restricted to projectiles and had blocked 80%
No 4. asteroids and clouds do not disappear anymore, They have an indicator that shows their ressource amount, yet once harvested they d not shrink or disappear anymore, they jsut get amepty and stay where they are.
No 5: tactic settings for ships are not existing anymore, they have agressive, defensive and passive settings, but the old way to make them deal more damage by going reckless, or survive longer by making them evasive trying to dodge bullets is gone. Now they either are attacking and following (aggressive), defensive (fire back) or passive: do nothing.

in free play mode the game feels completely different.
there is a lot more ressource available,
You can build only like 2 research ships, but since research is now money based instead time depend, this feels different. and there is hardly a point building many researh ships.
You can not build one of each ship simultaneausly like in the original, instead maximum 2 ships can be build at once, but build speed is a lot faster, especially the heavy cruisers compared to HW 1 original go a bit too fast in my opinion. the entire game feels a lot more fast paced to be honest.
So that have been the standard settings, yet it made the game faster more shipsspam and rushing into the battle, you gather way faster money than you actually even can spend once you have like uhhm 22 harvesters (which comes fast).
Also damage sems to be raised, while in HW 1 i had 3 destroyers and a missilse destroyer indeed needing some time to destroy 2 heavy frigates, in the rematsered version most frigates die extremely fast. While the big ships have a lot issues hitting the small ships. but even ships dedicated to shoot doen fighters have troubles with hitting. this probably comes from decrese projectile speed (at leats it feels like this)
You can use all 4 factions in the freemode, so some changes may have been done to balance some stuff.

the result:

if you really liked the mechanics of Homeworld 1 then you will probabaly not be very happy with the remastered versions, a lot stuff that made HW 1 what it really was is gone.

Edited by Lily from animove, 25 February 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#39 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

This really should have been more polished for a $39 game. The resource collectors in the HW1 portion harvest like HW2 collectors and have to dock to the asteroid to harvest. Maybe if they had a team of game developers they could have made it so they work the same way they worked in the original HW1. With the removal of fuel, support frigates are just healer ships that have to dock to the ship to repair it (lol). All of the bugs in the original HW1 game are present in the "remastered" version (lol), but they weren't able to keep resource collectors and fuel work the same way (lol). Maybe Gearbox should call themselves texture developers instead of game developers (lol). Recently picked up Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for 3ds, it's arguably a remake of an existing game as well but it has new content, is completely bug free (if you search for "monster hunter bugs" on google you will literally get links about the insect life in the game and nothing else), and attention to detail is immaculate in the game. This is the kind of game $39 should get you.

#40 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:03 AM

Actually I would say you don't even get HW 1 remastered. It is just HW 2 having the HW 1 campaign

And if they wouldn't have classic versions in this bundle, I would totally go and demand my money back.
not worth the 39€ for the remastered version, too disappointing. yet having a rather well working original is nice.I bought a lot of old school games that were added to steam even if they didn't change just to have a copy of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users