#1 Gordon Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 348 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:20 AM

Just curious what the community thinks of the 12 Clan Variants (Reinforcements) in Gift Store? I am yet to purchase any as honestly I am a bit turned off by the A la carte style pricing. I do understand from PGI's perspective though, they have to generate revenue to continue making the game we love. But, I am also a savvy spender so.....why didn't they offer a package price similar to Wave 1 or 2?

Before I do buy any of the variants, I'd like some feedback on builds along with your experience good or bad with them. Has anyone really enjoyed one of the new variants? I have spent some time on Smurfy's playing around w/ some new builds but nothing really jumps out at me to make me want to invest, other than the $28 JJ DWF!

I haven't seen many of the new variants on the battlefield to date, if you are reluctant to buy for whatever reason please chime in.

If you have purchased, please post some builds or variants (or both!) you all enjoy or hate.

Some potentials for me:

SCR-A
TBR-D
DWF-S

Thanks.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:28 AM

Basically, the variants for the Whale + Wolf + Crow trinity were good variants that improved their overall effectiveness. Jumping Whales are especially egregious.

The Loki got nothing, but then again it was already good since the hitbox fixes (but still not a TBR, especially not after the new TBR pods...). I just wish that the non-Prime left torsos actually had some kind of purpose outside of trolling oneself. :\

The Summoner got shafted right up the ass with a titanium stick. The Alt C is literally able to already be built without even using the C pods. It's useless. To make it even worse, they gave it a -15% ballistic heat quirk for the singular purpose of pissing us off.

The Peacedove got a decent CT energy. Not massive, but helpful.

The Badder's new left arm ballistic is basically worthless.

The Mad Dawg's C pods are fairly crap. The side torsos are especially stupid, having only +5% ballistic cooldown even though you sacrifice the ability to have 3 missile hardpoints in that location.

The Cute Fox can now do 4 MGs and 3-4 lasers, which is a nice buff for the mech. Still not a FS9, but it's better than nothing.

The No-Va now has a LT energy, which can be nice but you might have issues trying to pack enough heatsinks for all the lazors...

The Ferret can now do up to 5 energy on the non-Prime variants, which helps out a little bit. Still not amazing though.

The MLX can now use 2 MGs with 2-3 lasers. Kinda pointless, really, because you could just do 4 lasers instead...

All in all, the rich got richer, the poor stayed mostly poor, and a few sub-par mechs got slight upgrades.

Edited by FupDup, 30 January 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#3 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:28 AM

You can build the TBR-D from existing components, so why purchase it?

As to the rest I'm with you. I would have considered a purchase if they were bundled as a package but I am 100% against A La Carte schemes. I really don't feel like I'd get my money's worth by dropping more than $10 for a single mech. Just for reference, I've purchased every package from Founders thru the Urbie (except Phoenix because I wasn't playing at the time) and have no complaints about those.

#4 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

View PostMitsuragi, on 30 January 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

You can build the TBR-D from existing components, so why purchase it?

As to the rest I'm with you. I would have considered a purchase if they were bundled as a package but I am 100% against A La Carte schemes. I really don't feel like I'd get my money's worth by dropping more than $10 for a single mech. Just for reference, I've purchased every package from Founders thru the Urbie (except Phoenix because I wasn't playing at the time) and have no complaints about those.

The Timber D lets you bypass the JJ tax and gives you -5% energy heat if you use the left arm.

Edited by FupDup, 30 January 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#5 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

Smurfy's is letting me remove weapons from CT mount points. I thought those were supposed to be locked per variant? Or is that just to make the Adder's flamer even more a joke?

#6 Gordon Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

Good input FupDup many thanks and you echoed some of my thoughts on many of the chassis.

Mitsuragi- I totally hear ya.

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 30 January 2015 - 08:31 AM, said:

Smurfy's is letting me remove weapons from CT mount points. I thought those were supposed to be locked per variant? Or is that just to make the Adder's flamer even more a joke?

CT weapons are only locked on mechs that have CT weapons on their base configuration. So far, the only Clan mech that qualifies is the Badder.

http://bte.battletec...te/pdf/4878.pdf

The only other hardwired CT guns I can think of are the Avatar's 2 Medium Lasers.

Edited by FupDup, 30 January 2015 - 08:34 AM.

#8 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:36 AM

Ah. Gracias.

#9 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostFupDup, on 30 January 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

Basically, the variants for the Whale + Wolf + Crow trinity were good variants that improved their overall effectiveness. Jumping Whales are especially egregious.

The Loki got nothing, but then again it was already good since the hitbox fixes (but still not a TBR, especially not after the new TBR pods...). I just wish that the non-Prime left torsos actually had some kind of purpose outside of trolling oneself. :\

The Summoner got shafted right up the ass with a titanium stick. The Alt C is literally able to already be built without even using the C pods. It's useless. To make it even worse, they gave it a -15% ballistic heat quirk for the singular purpose of pissing us off.

The Peacedove got a decent CT energy. Not massive, but helpful.

The Badder's new left arm ballistic is basically worthless.

The Mad Dawg's C pods are fairly crap. The side torsos are especially stupid, having only +5% ballistic cooldown even though you sacrifice the ability to have 3 missile hardpoints in that location.

The Cute Fox can now do 4 MGs and 3-4 lasers, which is a nice buff for the mech. Still not a FS9, but it's better than nothing.

The No-Va now has a LT energy, which can be nice but you might have issues trying to pack enough heatsinks for all the lazors...

The Ferret can now do up to 5 energy on the non-Prime variants, which helps out a little bit. Still not amazing though.

The MLX can now use 2 MGs with 2-3 lasers. Kinda pointless, really, because you could just do 4 lasers instead...

All in all, the rich got richer, the poor stayed mostly poor, and a few sub-par mechs got slight upgrades.

I agree with most of this, though I am tempted by the twin ballistic arm pods for the Mad Dog. The only thing that makes me hesitate is if I went with 2 ballistic arm pods I am then entirely ammo based since there is no energy option for the STs.

#10 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

That Summoner actually makes me mad. What a joke to put in, given the state of the chassis' viability.

Oh but let's buff the Timber, Dire, and Crow. Bish please.

Edited by Kevjack, 30 January 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#11 Gordon Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

View PostKevjack, on 30 January 2015 - 09:05 AM, said:

That Summoner actually makes me mad. What a joke to put in, given the state of the chassis' viability.

Oh but let's buff the Timber, Dire, and Crow. Bish please.

I am honestly a little baffled by Summoner C as well. Its essentially the same as prime and you can make the C build w/ other pods.

View Post0bsidion, on 30 January 2015 - 09:05 AM, said:

I agree with most of this, though I am tempted by the twin ballistic arm pods for the Mad Dog. The only thing that makes me hesitate is if I went with 2 ballistic arm pods I am then entirely ammo based since there is no energy option for the STs.

Ditto plus Mad Dog the hard points on arms are low so you have to expose yourself more. The Stock load out on the MDG is not viable IMO

#12 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

For actual variants?

Only the DWF-S and WHK-C bring anything special to the table* - the DWF-S has a unique CT with a JJ installed (which could allow for 1 JJ builds) and the WHK-C has an E hardpoint in CT.

Otherwise you can just buy the new unique pods once they are available for your wave 1 variants (I'm assuming).

*The TBR-D has an E CT hardpoint, but so does the TBR-C, so it's not unique.

#13 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 30 January 2015 - 08:31 AM, said:

Fun fact; the Badder has CT lasers modelled. And a PPC, for some odd reason.

Clan reinforcements are the MC price in $. Without any benefits. Pretty bad deal, with an especially long 3 month wait.
For the price of a Hero mech, they could have at least given them a 30% CBill bonus.

#14 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 30 January 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

For the price of a Hero mech, they could have at least given them a 30% CBill bonus.

You assume Clan Hero mechs are going to be that "cheap". :P

Victor-9S(C) comes with Endo, DHS upgrades and a pricey 350XL Engine, cost is 3700 MC.

Victor-DS hero mech also with similar upgrades and +30% CBill boost. cost is 6000 MC.

Food for thought.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 30 January 2015 - 10:19 AM.

#15 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

To the OP ..Those are the ones I bought.and will probably get the gargy too eventually.

Edited by SaltBeef, 30 January 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#16 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 30 January 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

You assume Clan Hero mechs are going to be that "cheap". :P

Victor-9S(C) comes with Endo, DHS upgrades and a pricey 350XL Engine, cost is 3700 MC.

Victor-DS hero mech also with similar upgrades and +30% CBill boost. cost is 6000 MC.

Food for thought.

Then I'll have to stockpile MC, and then wait for a 50% off sale.

Though, I haven't seen one of those in awhile.

I guess we can hope that these didn't see too well, and PGI will avoid making these prices?

Edited by Mcgral18, 30 January 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#17 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 30 January 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

I guess we can hope that these didn't see too well, and PGI will avoid making these prices?

Pretty much, overall not many seem to have made the leap for these.

I personally don't like this direction, so I'm not supporting it with a purchase.

#18 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:56 AM

Gargoyle powah!

#19 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostGordon Gecko, on 30 January 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

Just curious what the community thinks of the 12 Clan Variants (Reinforcements) in Gift Store? I am yet to purchase any as honestly I am a bit turned off by the A la carte style pricing. I do understand from PGI's perspective though, they have to generate revenue to continue making the game we love. But, I am also a savvy spender so.....why didn't they offer a package price similar to Wave 1 or 2?

Before I do buy any of the variants, I'd like some feedback on builds along with your experience good or bad with them. Has anyone really enjoyed one of the new variants? I have spent some time on Smurfy's playing around w/ some new builds but nothing really jumps out at me to make me want to invest, other than the $28 JJ DWF!

I haven't seen many of the new variants on the battlefield to date, if you are reluctant to buy for whatever reason please chime in.

If you have purchased, please post some builds or variants (or both!) you all enjoy or hate.

Some potentials for me:

SCR-A
TBR-D
DWF-S

Thanks.

Pretty much every variant was useless for anything other than high alpha dmg overheating attacks except TBR-D it just undid the nerf to the timber that caused a few other mechs to suffer with forced JJs lol and DWF-S...so many energy hardpoints to play with although even a TBR using MPLs/MLs already runs hot maxed out with DHS so it may just be a overall gimmick build as it can already load up gauss and erppcs which heat it up fast.

SCR is ok as you can now use one arm for energy and then add more missiles but that's going to be one hot hot mech and extremely useless to your team on Sulphurous when you're chain firing SRMs every few seconds trying to not overheat. Along with energy all on one arm to be shot off at range.

Definitely nothing exciting like a Thor & Nova with unlocked JJs, further heat quirk on Nova etc.

#20 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

View PostBrody319, on 30 January 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

Gargoyle powah!

Yeah, I really don't get why they didn't just make a config up for the Gargoyle, and give it torso hardpoints. After all, they completely made up the Enforcer ENF-5P, so it's not like it would be a first for them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users