42 replies to this topic

#21 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:21 PM

Before we got CW Beta, I had thought that the idea you write was what Lonewolves and Mercs where getting in CW.

So, it would be nice to see this.

#22 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:59 PM

View PostWazOfOz, on 16 April 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

It may be worthwhile visiting CW in the future. :D

We will see, but I was smiling when I heard what was revealed.

#23 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

Great suggestion, Dirk. For once I don't have any (mostly) extraneous input.

Well done, listen to this man.

#24 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

It would greatly bolster CW participation. I feel that it could get CW active enough to be the preferred mode of MWO while instant action becomes something to do in the meantime.

#25 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostMoldur, on 05 May 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

It would greatly bolster CW participation. I feel that it could get CW active enough to be the preferred mode of MWO while instant action becomes something to do in the meantime.

Agreed.

#26 Knight Magus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

I'm curious how the clans can sign up mercs - they see these warriors as a cancer - nothing more. Heck even the Draconis Combine has an aversion to them - warriors without honor - whoring themselves to who ever pays for their soul.

It's a shame that their isn't a different perspective for House's, Clans, and Mercs or even for that lone wolf who desperately ties to hold onto his mech that was passed down from one generation to another...

So much wasted promise...

#27 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

View PostKnight Magus, on 05 May 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

I'm curious how the clans can sign up mercs - they see these warriors as a cancer - nothing more. Heck even the Draconis Combine has an aversion to them - warriors without honor - whoring themselves to who ever pays for their soul.

Some things are exceedingly difficult to translate from pen and paper into a computer game. While I understand your perspective, I thing it is one of those things that will have to be 'lost in translation'. (I am a D&D fan from a loooong time ago, and DDO, while I expected it to be true to pen and paper, was understandably altered, it's about gameplay. Some things do not work.

It's a shame that their isn't a different perspective for House's, Clans, and Mercs or even for that lone wolf who desperately ties to hold onto his mech that was passed down from one generation to another...

I think that single player campaigns may help here. Even if there were cooperative.

So much wasted promise...

I blame IGP for launching torpedos at PGI's project.

#28 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:10 AM

May be as an added incentive how about loyalty/reputation points/levels also give you an added bills %.

The more points/levels you gain (for each faction/merc) the bigger % bonus you get.

I also agree that you should not lose any if switching. Too much of a disincentive to players.

Cheers
Eboli

#29 Tangelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:58 AM

I like the idea for mercs and lonewolves. I do think it would be a great benefit for CW overall for its flavour and appeal.

I think there is one thing overlooked though. CW is targeted as "hardmode" which basically translates to favouring elite groups and players. Events and challenges boost population but only because there is a goal or an "incentive to play" as I like to call it.

CW is time consuming which is no problem for the hardcore player. Sadly the bulk of the community is comprised of guys like me. Average players ranging in skill with an average amount of playtime to dedicate. For example... if I have two hours to play, most of the time I won't be doing it in CW as a house, clan, or merc, and the simple reason is because there is no incentive too....Pub queue is far more rewarding for my time, and that is a big deal for a lot (if not all) players.

CW being "Hardmode" is fine. If I lose, I expect to get ziltch and perhaps even lose money. But on a win it should be a "reward", as it stands.....the "risk of losing vs the reward of winning" is absolutely pathetic and from a "warfare" perspective gain nothing.

Through and through, when the bulk of the community logs on they have a choice....CW or Pub Queue, as things stand Pubs generate more potential reward for your time.. and most choose it over CW leaving it rather sadly populated.

Until there is something to "fight for" or a reward that is worth your time I don't think CW will ever be the first choice for the majority of the player pool. And clearly, faction rank rewards are not cutting it considering the (you guessed it) insane amount of time needed to invest at piss poor returns. (For the average player that is.)

You do have a fantastic idea though, and it would certainly add to CW in a positive way.

Edited by Tangelis, 11 July 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#30 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 01 February 2015 - 05:27 AM, said:

I wont sign for any houses. Got my fill of them and the penalty's for breaking contract . Only play cw if its a one shot deal now.
Not the only one because many in solo chat say the same. To expensive then you have to deal with the tryhards and their demands.

I fly only one flag and its black.

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” ― H.L. Mencken

You're like the Sid Vicious of MWO aren't you? Bow to no man, well...um...because. Always spewing some form of anti group comment.
Anyway back on topic, OP I like the positive thinking behind your idea. Good to see an idea to involve puggies in CW that isn't "stop grouping up now."
+1

*edit* I just read the post above me, maybe if rewards across the board were upped? I struggle to grasp people only play solo q to farm money, I #might# make less money on a cw loss but I'm happier when with a group of friends than alone cursing the 6 players on my solo team that couldn't break into triple figure damage scores. I might get 5 matches in an hour in puggy queue, I could earn say 220K for two wins and around 100k for three losses..550k. Joining th CW queues intelligently I'll probably get two games per hour. Probably make around 600k for a win and 350k for a loss, that's 950k......plus even when I've lost I'm not as frustrated as when I solo:)
I'd rather go quality over quantity to be honest, but then I put fun with friends ovr rewards and grinding. I'd rather earn money slower but have more relaxing gameplay doing it.
But then if rewards were upped CW would be solo q v2 with 4 times the frustration.....

Edited by kamiko kross, 11 July 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#31 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

I like the idea a lot, great suggestion.

You would still have to pick between making yourself available for is or clan I guess. Or maybe mercs should be IS only even, at least if lore is to be followed.

#32 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostDar1ng One, on 11 July 2015 - 12:02 AM, said:

Yet, you still dropped $612 AUD on a gold skin...! ;)

Indeed. ^_^ Sometimes you have to feed the sharks, so they do not eat the clownfish. B) :P

View PostDar1ng One, on 11 July 2015 - 12:02 AM, said:

Anyway, some good ideas.

Cheers mate. :)

#33 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 11 July 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

I like the idea a lot, great suggestion.

You would still have to pick between making yourself available for is or clan I guess. Or maybe mercs should be IS only even, at least if lore is to be followed.

No need to restrict mercs to inner sphere, just have two dropdecks. You could then select one or both, in the same way we can choose game modes.

#34 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostEboli, on 11 July 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

May be as an added incentive how about loyalty/reputation points/levels also give you an added bills %.

The more points/levels you gain (for each faction/merc) the bigger % bonus you get.

I think this may be a very good way of making actual use of the rank system.

#35 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:00 AM

Dirk, would loyalists get massively bigger bonuses? Because if decks were not restricted then without massively increased rewards for those who choose a house or a clan......everybody would be a lonewolf thus defeating the object of CW----community warfare......?
Communities are groups of people that interact-not a mass of individuals that don't, you get what I mean?

#36 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

View Postkamiko kross, on 13 July 2015 - 04:00 AM, said:

Dirk, would loyalists get massively bigger bonuses?

Massively, no. More for loyalists, yes. They get more anyway. Reread the thread where I explain how Lone Wolves would progress slower, and are capped to a lower rank.

Because if decks were not restricted then without massively increased rewards for those who choose a house or a clan......everybody would be a lonewolf thus defeating the object of CW----community warfare......?

There was no mention of unrestricted dropdecks. I mentioned two dropdecks, which makes sense. They would both operate within tonnage limits as set by PGI.

Communities are groups of people that interact-not a mass of individuals that don't, you get what I mean?

Groups do not make communities, individuals do. I live in a town of about 30 000 people, we are all individuals, without whom, there is no community.

I see what you are trying to say, but you are missing the points a little bit. Anyway I hope this made sense.

#37 DebaucheryNShenanigans

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:06 PM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 27 February 2015 - 05:58 PM, said:

Good idea to utilise solo faction players. There are no doubt times that they will find themselves alone, so to speak, and still give them the ability to fight for their faction with a casual approach.

IF PGI don't address this, CW is lost, and no pumping fist on a table as to "WHY" will resurrect it.

CW is broken in many ways, this give loyalists and pirates a fantastic way to play and feel engaged.

#38 DebaucheryNShenanigans

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

BUMP

#39 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostFluero, on 20 July 2015 - 05:06 PM, said:

this give loyalists and pirates a fantastic way to play and feel engaged.

I do hope it could help. But we have no idea what PGI are planning, and it sounded rather anorexic in the last Town Hall.

#40 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:36 PM

This idea sounds really good. I am not sure about the reputation part, maybe the reward for going freelance/lonewolf/merc would be faster drops and therefore more creds.

Again the pros and cons of this may not be obvious but this sounds great for those looking for fast drops and the match making.

The advantage to faction loyalists would of course be reputation and rank, but also the ability to capture planets.

The faction loyalist advantages are to good to be fair unless more is added to the game that requires massive amounts of creds.

Edited by Johnny Z, 20 July 2015 - 06:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users