Suggestion: Reduce The Diameter Of Lasers Slightly

10 replies to this topic

#1 Krysic

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:51 AM

When pinpoint is the meta, a large circumference also forces more "splash" whether a mech is moving or not.
I would suggest slightly reducing the diameter of the lasers in game to them more effective by allowing for sharper aim. I think the accuracy bump players would feel would lead to more varied loadouts.

Edited by Krysic, 31 January 2015 - 06:00 AM.

#2 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:42 AM

But lasers are hitscan. Perhaps you meant tracking, not accuracy? In which case, you want the opposite; a larger laser diamater that is more easily held on target.

#3 Krysic

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:50 AM

I meant that a tighter graphic would make it easier to hit particular components, When people fire lasers they stop looking at the reticle and look at the impact point. Slightly reducing the lasers circumference would allow more specific component tracking. Is that more clear?

#4 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:01 AM

I rather they fix lasers HSR first since it is more of less confirmed to be broken.

#5 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

Hsr is fine. Lasers dont need to be more accurate why donl people constantly try and make things more deadly than they are?

#6 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

View PostFirewuff, on 31 January 2015 - 08:33 PM, said:

Hsr is fine. Lasers dont need to be more accurate why donl people constantly try and make things more deadly than they are?

I assume that is misplaced sarcasm.

#7 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

View PostKrysic, on 31 January 2015 - 05:51 AM, said:

When pinpoint is the meta, a large circumference also forces more "splash" whether a mech is moving or not.
I would suggest slightly reducing the diameter of the lasers in game to them more effective by allowing for sharper aim. I think the accuracy bump players would feel would lead to more varied loadouts.

I don't think this will have any kind of effect on accuracy. Also, lasers are fine as is.

#8 Krysic

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 31 January 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

I don't think this will have any kind of effect on accuracy. Also, lasers are fine as is.

Zoom in with the module and shoot a large laser at one of the smaller lights. The splash from the laser at the impact point is larger than the component hit box. You seriously think that's fine?

If the damage split and doubled to effectively simulate the power of the laser over it's entire contact surface that would be alright, but I'm pretty sure they don't. A Large laser should scare the hell out of a light pilot like me but honestly in my lights, i barely notice them.

Edited by Krysic, 31 January 2015 - 11:37 PM.

#9 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:22 AM

View PostKrysic, on 31 January 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

Zoom in with the module and shoot a large laser at one of the smaller lights. The splash from the laser at the impact point is larger than the component hit box. You seriously think that's fine?

If the damage split and doubled to effectively simulate the power of the laser over it's entire contact surface that would be alright, but I'm pretty sure they don't. A Large laser should scare the hell out of a light pilot like me but honestly in my lights, i barely notice them.

But this has absolutely no impact on how well you shoot. If your crosshair is over the component, you will hit that component. It doesn't matter what the size of the impact effect is.

And If you're barely noticing lasers, you're not facing off against the right pilots. A single Large laser shouldn't be a huge threat, because holding a beam over a small, fast target is hard and a good pilot will juke and twist to spread out the damage, and certain lights have hitboxes very favorable to spreading out damage. However, a good Wubshee or laservomit TBR will rip you a new one.

#10 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

Its wasnt sarcassm. When i can alpha the **** out of moat mech there is real problem. What you see is different to what is actually happening. I.e. its a point weapon so will only hit one section at a tim. If you happen to sweep across 2 sections then they will both take some damage. Advanced zoom is broken because of the way it is implemented. The inset is an enlarged version of the outer area, not separately rendered hence looks like ****.

Honestly if yoy made lasers look smaller their visual impact woyld be reduced.

As for HSR i play from Au with a 290 ping all day every day and have basically no issue with it. I can regularly pull 500 to 1k damage and 4+ kills so i reall am not seeing a problem with hit reg

Its wasnt sarcassm. When i can alpha the **** out of moat mech there is real problem. What you see is different to what is actually happening. I.e. its a point weapon so will only hit one section at a tim. If you happen to sweep across 2 sections then they will both take some damage. Advanced zoom is broken because of the way it is implemented. The inset is an enlarged version of the outer area, not separately rendered hence looks like ****.

Honestly if yoy made lasers look smaller their visual impact woyld be reduced.

As for HSR i play from Au with a 290 ping all day every day and have basically no issue with it. I can regularly pull 500 to 1k damage and 4+ kills so i reall am not seeing a problem with hit reg

#11 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:40 PM

View PostFirewuff, on 01 February 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

Hmmm... I play at 231ms+ and for lasers in particular, and I play lasers a hell of a lot really. Myself and many others have issues with lasers and high ping, when it comes to accuracy and moving targets.

Videos of the problem being documented here:

And here:

Lastly kinda hard to believe you when the developers themselves admits there is a problem with lasers HSR that needs fixing:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4046488

Edited by ShinVector, 01 February 2015 - 05:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users