12 replies to this topic

#1 BulletProofPanda

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:04 AM

Afternoon all.

As my main rig died, ive dug out my old server, which is a Dual Xeon Hexcore (L5640), and the performance is terrible. GFX is a GTX 970.

CPU usage doesn't even go above 20% per core when busy, but when its all quiet later in match, fps increase as well as core usage.

Any ideas?

#2 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:08 AM

Also having same issues. Dual quad xeon 3.0 and my graphics settings barely impact FPS. I'm definitly CPU limited by the xeons.

#3 BulletProofPanda

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:10 AM

it seems to be when im looking in the direction of other mechs when FPS drops. The cpus don't even appear to be taxed AT ALL.

#4 michaelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:21 AM

Can you post cpu usage screenshot ?

Because 2,86 Ghz Nehalem era CPU is slow and this game can have slowdowns on 4,5 Ghz Sandy Bridge

#5 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:23 AM

MWO's poor optimization and general poor usage of cryengine are pretty legendary by this point. Not much you can do about it.

#6 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:47 AM

This game can be cpu and memory limited ...

What OS? 32 or 64 bit?
How much RAM?

It seems to be a 2.26GHz processor ... which will significantly affect performance ... since MWO is multi-threaded and turbo mode only kicks in for one thread as far as I know.

The CPU also supports hyperthreading ... this could be a cause for problems if two heavy duty threads are assigned to the same physical core ... you could try turning off hyperthreading and see if that makes a difference.

#7 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:09 AM

You can try messing in the user.cfg. Add core assignments for which core is doing physics or mess with multithreading etc.

Might grab a few fps that way.

#8 BulletProofPanda

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:31 AM

CPU is 2.26Ghz stock, turbo boosts all cores to 2.4 , can boost 4 cores to 2.56 and 1-2 cores to 2.8Ghz.
Using windows 8.1 x64.
12gb DDR3 ECC in Tri-Channel

I know what your saying about slow clock speeds, but MWO doesn't even attempt to use more than 15-20%on a core, some are even left doing nothing.

HT is enabled, so shows 24 threads.

#9 BulletProofPanda

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:19 AM

Anyone any ideas on how to improve performance? Mwo seems to be the only game im having problems with!

#10 Nimiki

• PipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:13 AM

Hmm. Only thing I can suggest, if you haven't done so already, is to set EVERYTHING to low, turn off Anti Aliasing and v-sync, damage glow, etc, and see if that gives any increase it FPS. If so, gradually increase settings to see what's killing your FPS. Particles, shaders, and effects are big culprits and very CPU reliant.

If no avail, the only other thing I can think of is something funky going on in the BIOS. I'm assuming by "dual CPU's", you mean 2 physical 6-core processors. If so, the CPU's might be confusing the game engine or something, and something is getting bucked up in the process. Maybe see if it's possible to disable a CPU and just running off of one.

Hope it helps...

#11 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:33 AM

View PostDavid PeachHill, on 31 January 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

I know what your saying about slow clock speeds, but MWO doesn't even attempt to use more than 15-20%on a core, some are even left doing nothing.

HT is enabled, so shows 24 threads.

People think that means that they aren't CPU bound but CPU always looks like it under taxed in MWO, but it's your CPU. Don't take it from me, go into the hardware forum and just look at the large body of data on the matter.

Edited by Ghogiel, 06 February 2015 - 02:33 AM.

#12 kinematics

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:57 AM

Resurrecting this Xeon thread. I got the same problems on my workstation after the recent slew of optimizations in MWO.

Since the code now runs more efficient(?) my Xeons throttle down and up repeatedly and caused some serious poor framerate (>20FPS) gameplay.

The resolution was to turn off the Win 7 CPU and other power save functionality, such that the processor runs at nominal frequency all the time.

Posted Image

#13 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:49 AM

Maybe this was a problem back in beta? Anyways, heat vision caused me great problems until I went into a youtube video and set Flash hardware acceleration off. I can't screen shot it because 2 years ago I excommunicated Flash from all my computers, PC's and Mac's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users