26 replies to this topic

#1 NiceGirl13

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:27 AM

Hello Fellow pilots

So i have just started to play MWO, and must say that i am really enjoying the game. However since its so complex for beginners, do i need some help for my first mech.

What i am searching for is a mechs that is long/medium ranged "sniper" that can take some beating (heavy mech?) and has the possibility to insert a advanced zoom module.

What i have played the most has been the:

StormCrow SCR- PRIME trial mech
Timber Wolf TBR-PRIME trial mech

And if its possible to get an loadout for the mech you think is most adequate from what i have descripted :)

Thanks in advanced

#2 Ansalon

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:51 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7a7b004cc05d7ce

Hands down the best sniper mech in the game. It mainly relies on the 2 ERPPCs in the right torso because they are high mounted making it easy to peak over objects without exposing too much of your mech. You can also alpha strike quite abit with all 3 because of redicolous heat reduction quirks. It can take advantage of the advanced zoom module but imo its way better to use seismic and radar deprivation because they are just way more useful modules. In addition this mech wants to do fast snap shots with a lot of leading on targets, not line up shots up slowly, making advanced zoom module sometimes more a hassle then its worth.

Its also on 35% sale atm so if you are interested you should grab it quick.

Edited by Ansalon, 31 January 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#3 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:15 AM

Ansalon is right that is great mech even for new players though I would strongly advise this buid - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d3de077b82bf1b1 -
This build uses stock engine so U dont need to buy another one,this build have 2xAMS(anti missile system) this is very important for new players U will get cought out of position and 2xAMS greatly reduces dmg from LRMs and SSRMs, also this build have 3xMPLs with tham it is much easyer to dmg fast mechs and there is no ghost heat penalty when U fire all weapons at once.

Once U have extra CBILLs and U get comfortable with ERPPCs feel free to use Ansalons build but my opinion is that for normal game modes the build I presented is better due to having less weaknes.But for CW 3ERPPC TDR 9S is among best if not best posible option.

EDIT: forgoth to add that every mech in game can use Advanced Zoom module or any other module.

Edited by salkeee, 31 January 2015 - 07:22 AM.

#4 Ansalon

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

Yeah i gotta agree with salkeee that looks like a build that would be easier to play for a newer player while still maintaining a lot of what makes the TDR 9s strong.

#5 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

If you like laser sniper boats, the Stalker 4N is pretty nice. It's got range and heat quirks that make regular large laser reach 90m short of an unquirked ERLL. Plus, Inner Sphere lasers have shorter duration and the Stalker has higher mounts in the arms...good for peeking over a hill.

#6 NiceGirl13

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

Thank you so much for the replies ill have a look at it :)

#7 Bobman

• PipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

You can't go wrong with a TDR9S, but you may also check out gauss mounters, although you don't get too much quirk bonus with the exception of the Grid Iron. I prefer twin gauss, which includes mechs like Jager, CPLT K2, Heavier Clan Mechs.

2 ERPPC 2 Gauss Dire can handle its own at long range and close range.

#8 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

something that can boat 4+ ER LL:s,Stalker and Quickdraw 4G come to mind

#9 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

TBT-5J, got JJ to go high and fairly quick: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6d68024eb87e7b3

#10 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Hellbringer

3 ERLL in the torso, 4MGS

the 3 ERs are all stacked next to each other and at eye level or close to it so they are perfect for knocking heads off even at 1km range.

I take advanced zoom, Radar Dep, ERLL cooldown and ERLL range

ECM makes it ninja and the MGs are freaky good at messing up mechs that are open towards the end of the game

backup hellbringers are the other two with 2 ERLL instead, on in the side, one in the head, 3 ERML and 3 MGs

I put the ERLL in the head so I'll always have one big gun left at the end of a fight and I'm shredded. Lose the head gun, most likely lost the head as well

Sit around 750 to 1200 Damage a good game, 2300 in CW and usually dont need the forth mech in a drop

Down side is all the guns on one side. Thats about it. They will chain fire the ERLLs all day long and Alpah them 3 times before panic sets in

Just aim for the cockpits and smile

Edited by Keira RAVEN McKenna, 31 January 2015 - 02:24 PM.

#11 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

View PostLord Letto, on 31 January 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

TBT-5J, got JJ to go high and fairly quick: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6d68024eb87e7b3

JM6-S might be OK also: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...63174892dee959d
Edit: 2nd -S Build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...764fa21eef7aca1
the -S get's 7.5% Ballistic Cooldown & Velocity and 10% Range, so for the 2nd build that's Dual Gauss, each Gauss will have: 4.3 Second Cooldown instead of 4 seconds, Speed/Velocity of 2150 instead of 2000 & a Range of 726 instead of 660 with a Max Range of 2178 instead of 1980

Edited by Lord Letto, 31 January 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#12 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:44 PM

Thunderbolt 9S.
Buy 3 of them and a FireStarter A.

You will also have a strong drop deck for CW.

IF YOU ARE CRAZY!!! Get a Locust V. Most thrilling sniper in MWO.
Cicada C also is good at the ERPPC sniping.

#13 Ruswarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

While I never count this build as perfect and the abovementioned TDR-9S is simply quirked better (I still find it too hot personally) - I may suggest a certain Jester/CPLT-J build if you are willing to spend some real money to buy a hero mech (or a CPLT mastery pack) and you didn't spend your cadet bonus yet.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...37b59e693800b76
Oh, and you will certainly need a zoom module what makes additional 2,000,000 cbills.
I consider this and play it as a long range support mech (as long as sutiation on the battlefield allows); its job is not to kill but rather help others to kill enemy by stripping enemies' armor or destroying components. Basically, you can fire from relatively safe distance, hit the target without losing much damage because of range but your alpha is not that good. 2 erlls in STs are used when you can allow to expose most of your body or your "nose".
Pros:
- +30% to cbills gained on this mech thanks to hero mech bonus
- no ammo is needed for your main weapons
- CPLT's arm hardpoints are high-mounted, which allows you to shoot 2 erll without exposing yourself much
- jumpjets usually allow better choice of position by jumping somewhere higher without need to walk there, and safe landings when jumping from high ground
- 2 ams give a decent amount of protection from lrms (not absolute protection, of course)
- you don't need to grind even more cbills to upgrade to DHS and Endosteel as Jester already has them, which saves a lot
Cons:
- shooting alpha will result in a MASSIVE heat spike, especially until you are able to get all elite effeciencies
- xl engine means you will die if any of your side torsos is destroyed, not just your cockpit or center torso; CPLTs have nice side torsos, but you still need to consider that
- your center torso is not that hard to miss if you are exposed
- an enemy fast mech (light, most likely) nearby is a big problem, as your lasers inflict their damage fully only after their duration ends - which means a fast mech can possibly avoid (or spread) a good chuck of it by simply not stopping its movement
- continuing from previous point - Inner Sphere erppcs, while being hotter than erlls, deliver full damage in one blast that just needs to hit the target AND have better range
- you can't really defend yourself much in one on one fight or of if something gets close
- still needs a good investment of cbills like regular mechs despite being bought for MC

This is certainly NOT a mech that can change the course of fight but I found it pretty nice to grind cbills relatively safe. Oh, and it has a pretty unique camo pattern.

Edited by Ruswarr, 31 January 2015 - 03:03 PM.

#14 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

Inner Sphere mechs tend to make better snipers because their customizability makes it easier mix-max for a sniper role. I don't have much experience with sniping, but my teammates often use the Jagermech for sniping roles. It has high-mounted weapons but there's a tradeoff in durability as a skilled player wouldn't have too much trouble hitting your side torsos.

As for Jagermech builds, the most straightforward sniper would be a dual-gauss build. You could also try 3 UAC5s for a high DPS but a low alpha strike.

#15 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

The Shadowhawk 2K makes for an affordable sniper. There even a decent STD engine build, way easier to grind for than an expensive XL.

3x ERLL mounted high in the shoulder really can't go wrong.

Edited by Kevjack, 31 January 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#16 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:08 AM

View Postsalkeee, on 31 January 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

Ansalon is right that is great mech even for new players though I would strongly advise this buid - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d3de077b82bf1b1...

Pretty sure Salkee has been snooping around my hangar :ph34r:, That is almost the exact Thunderbolt build that I run.

As others have already noted the Shadowhawk and Jagermech also make excellent snipers, as does the Catapult K2. I would also toss in recommendation for the Hunchback or Blackjack as slightly more economical options, for a player who is just getting started. Both combine high-mounted hardpoints with a fairly compact and durable chassis.

Just in case you were unaware the links people are posting go to "Smurphy's" which is an online mechlab. It lets you mess around with potential builds before you actually buy the mech and is an excellent resource for, stats, quirks, etc...

Edit to add:

Check out a few of the other threads in here for general newbie advice. I don'r know if you have a preference for Clan or IS but all the mechs recommended thus far have been IS. If you decide to go Clan the classic Stormcrow that you've already been piloting will be hard to beat.

Some sniper builds that I have run over the years...
  • Hlynka's Hefty Helper: Base Defense TDR-9S, My primary mech in CW at the moment, it has 2 ER PPCs for trading shots at range and 3 medium pulse lasers for dealing with those pesky light-mech rushes.
  • Head-Hunter: Dual Gauss JM-6S, 2 Guass 2 Medium lasers, a much more specialized sniper build. It is pricier and less durable than the TDR-9S, but harder hitting at longer ranges. With practice (and a little luck) you will be removing Atlases' cockpits on a semi-regular basis at 600m.
  • Thumper: Classic HBK-4G with shoulder mounted Gauss Rifle, For the sniper on a budget, this solid all-around performer can be yours for less than 5 million CBills. Just make sure that you shield that Hunch.
  • Laser-back: A Modified HBK-4P with 3 ER Large Lasers in place of the default 6 mediums. You can also run this build with a pair of PPCs and an additional heatsink.
  • Old MechDonald: CBill Farmer SHD-2K, 2 shoulder mounted ER Large Lasers for sniping and general combat, LRM 10 and spotting laser (TAG) for farming assists. Jump-jets because why the heck not. ;)
  • Laser-Jack: Classic BJ-3 with ER Large Lasers, Another build for the sniper on a budget, run it "as is" or save up for the bigger engine. Same build can be run on the BJ-1X as well just ditch the Jets for additional heat-sinks or medium lasers.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 01 February 2015 - 03:01 AM.

#17 NiceGirl13

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:34 AM

So i bought the http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d3de077b82bf1b1 however i cant see what Modules i should buy to it? any suggestions?

#18 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

View PostNiceGirl13, on 01 February 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

So i bought the http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d3de077b82bf1b1 however i cant see what Modules i should buy to it? any suggestions?

radar deprivation,and 2 coolshots for consumables.

it already has excellent range

#19 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostNiceGirl13, on 01 February 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

I would actually hold off on purchasing modules for the moment, Keep in mind that you need three variants of a given mech to level it all they way up, and modules are very expensive. I think that you would be better off in the long run saving up for your second and third thunderbolt before you drop the 10,000,000 cbills on modules>

That said the most useful modules for a sniper IMO are Radar Deprivation, Target Info Gathering, and Advanced zoom. Personally I run my TDR-9S with Radar Dep, Zoom, AMS overclock, and ER PPC cooldown.

#20 Chiron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

A real fun, real cheap sniper alternative is the Locust 1v. I LOVE this mech! Strip armor with a ERLL, xl180 for serious speed, and 2x mg for running in and finish off the internals.

Only the Pirates bane with ECM is more fun, and that's a close call.

LCT-1V

Edited by chiron, 02 February 2015 - 11:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users