- - - - -

Advanced Zoom Unavailable

13 replies to this topic

#1 Capital Punishment

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:05 AM

Hi everyone. I have to say that i am loving this game and that it takes me back to when i was younger and played on all the other Mechwarrior games for the PC.

Anyway, back to the question.

Ok, so i have gone to do a bit of configuring on one of my recently bought Mechs and i have tried to purchase the Advanced Zoom that costs 2,000,000 c-bills. However, it is locked out.

Can someone tell me why this is please?

#2 Eldamar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 102 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPleasant Valley, NY

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:07 AM

Did you spend the GXP under the skills tab/pilot/mech/vision (think thats the tree) to unlock it?

#3 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:15 AM

Modules must first be unlocked with GXP (done in the Skills tab) before they can be purchased. Choose wisely, they're expensive.

Edited by DEMAX51, 01 February 2015 - 02:15 AM.

#4 Capital Punishment

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:27 AM

Ah now i didn't know that. Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Jeez that's gonna take ages to get 5000 gxp to unlock it first

#5 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:41 AM

View PostCapital Punishment, on 01 February 2015 - 02:27 AM, said:

Welcome to the hard grind fest :)

#6 DarkExar

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:08 AM

If I may humbly suggest smth when you are grinding and have limited cash. Think seriously about skipping advanced zoom and grinding straight for:
- redar deprivation = invisivility module - dissapear from LRMs when going off their LOS
- seismic sensor = wall hack - showing movement around you, behind walls and other terrain in certain radius << really cool stuff!
These two modules will improve your game and survivability significantly.
Unless you like sniping and long range, then ignore above, get vision and have fun :)

Edited by DarkExar, 01 February 2015 - 03:10 AM.

#7 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:25 AM

View PostDarkExar, on 01 February 2015 - 03:08 AM, said:

If I may humbly suggest smth when you are grinding and have limited cash. Think seriously about skipping advanced zoom and grinding straight for:
- redar deprivation = invisivility module - dissapear from LRMs when going off their LOS
- seismic sensor = wall hack - showing movement around you, behind walls and other terrain in certain radius << really cool stuff!
These two modules will improve your game and survivability significantly.
Unless you like sniping and long range, then ignore above, get vision and have fun :)

They're not quite as powerful as you make them out to be, but they are probably the two most useful modules overall.
Radar deprivation is canceled out by target decay, which any experienced LRM user will have equipped, so if you're bad at avoiding LRMs this isn't going to save you. It's most useful in higher level gameplay for preventing the enemy from tracking you and getting a readout on your mech easily.
Seismic sensor is useful for spotting enemy movement near you, but you have to be standing still for it to work, and jumping mechs aren't detected by seismic sensor as long as they're not in contact with the ground. It does however give a good indication of what kind of mechs you can expect to see. The heavier/faster a mech is, the bigger the seismic blips will be.

#8 DarkExar

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 01 February 2015 - 03:25 AM, said:

They're not quite as powerful as you make them out to be, but they are probably the two most useful modules overall.
Radar deprivation is canceled out by target decay, which any experienced LRM user will have equipped, so if you're bad at avoiding LRMs this isn't going to save you. It's most useful in higher level gameplay for preventing the enemy from tracking you and getting a readout on your mech easily.
Seismic sensor is useful for spotting enemy movement near you, but you have to be standing still for it to work, and jumping mechs aren't detected by seismic sensor as long as they're not in contact with the ground. It does however give a good indication of what kind of mechs you can expect to see. The heavier/faster a mech is, the bigger the seismic blips will be.

Thanks for detailed description, I just simplified it to get basic impression. On the usage I have bit different opinion though, which i guess comes from the play style. Namely that deprivation actually works very well in even basic PUGing on scout, harasser, flanker. It helps just staying low lurking behind terrain. Still many ppl bring LRMs as easiest and safest long range way to deal dmg (on non developed-up boats - no decay). Popping in-and-out make them waste a lot of ammo. In organized drops (CW especially) you usually have friendly ECMs cover implemented so deprivation is like a double safe warranty.

With seismic situational awareness improves tremendously. Indeed it takes a moment to learn how to use it, but after some time you always know when (and where!) to stop and get that "round the corner" movement info. Flying jumpers you mentioned also need to land somewhere, and you just need one "BLIP" to know that there is something incoming. On tourmaline and viridian it just shines.
I am a great fan of both anyway :)

#9 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:09 AM

And if you looked closely you'll see it's actually one of the cheapest (non-weapon) modules. ;)

#10 Finkledbody

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

I've been playing for a month and this is my first MechWarrior game. 5000 GXP does not take all that long to acquire. Don't let the veterans fool you. I have already unlocked advance zoom, radar deprivation, seismic sensor, AC/10/20 range 5 / cooldown 5, ML cooldown 5 /range 5, and many, many more. I'm not bragging, just telling that it is does not take much time.

The key for me was to find a mech I liked and I stuck to it. I got the 3 variants through the elite skill sets; by the time I finished that goal I had so much GXP, I didn't know what to do with It all. Just have fun! GXP, C-bills, MC, mechbays, and premium time will all happen in time if you don't put much thought into them at first. Focus on your mech, build and tactics.

Edited by Finkledbody, 01 February 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#11 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:42 AM

Well, GXP is 5% of your earned xp, so gathering 5000gxp takes (5000x20=) 100000xp. That's actually quite a lot.

However, when you begin playing it's rather easy to get a good number of the Achievements, many of which give you bonus GXP, so that helps.

#12 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, the GXP bonuses really help with the GXP grind. Ah, I remember the days . . . Things are soooo much better now. Thanks PGI !!

#13 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

You can boost your experience by taking advantage of the 2x bonus you get for your first win, each trial mech qualifies for this bonus once per day so if you play with a number of trial mechs to get that first win on each one, you will get multiple 2x bonus's. The GXP is not mech specific and you will accumulate xp on a number of mechs as well, you will also learn how to play different chassis and that will help you understand how the enemy is playing when using these

#14 General Pete

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 123 posts
  • Locationny usa

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

People may suggest you get other modules, but in my opinion, the advanced zoom is the best 1st module to get. It's cheap at 2 million (compared to others), and it does 2 things:
1) opens up the game for effective long range fire- you can not only hit a target far away more easily, but you can possibly pick a location if the target's not moving much. Very nice for ERLLs, ERPPCs, etc.
2) You can see the mechs better from far away. Why are we playing this game if not to see mechs?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users