Low & Choppy Frame Rate Solved

10 replies to this topic

#1 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:06 AM

Hi, (For quick read)
The conclusion is bad memory management = memory leaks that cause low & choppy frame rates on capable hardware. Turn on graphics memory monitor + physical ram + virtual ram and compare against a good game play versus a bad.

FULL "VERY HIGH SETTINGS MSAA" not postAA for both examples below.

Example of a good play
graphics ram 1.7GB ~ 2.5GB
physical ram 3.3GB
virtual ram 6GB

Example of a BAD memory leak play.
graphics ram 3.8GB
physical ram 4.3GB
virtual ram 10.6GB

Without sufficient ram, will experience sudden low frame rates and choppy.

Solution is logout, close MWO, reopens MWO, relogin. It's not sure which party is the reason, AMD driver? graphics card BIOS? Windows OS? MWO? too many.

More details, examples and screen shots below.

#2 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:22 AM

Machine is
AMD Phenom-II 964 BE (3.4Ghz quad core)
HIS iceQ R9_290 graphics 4GB
a-data 4x 2GB DDR3-1600
ASrock Extreme3
Windows 8.1 64
Catalyst Omega 14.12
a-data S511 SSD 120/8??? GB
750watts 80+ bronze PSU

On a good play
Posted Image

Then on a MEMORY LEAK example
Posted Image

Players without 4GB card will experience choppy & low 10 fps.

#3 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:35 AM

For players without 4GB card, does it mean can't enjoy fuller details? NO!!!! because when graphics use POSTAA instead of MSAA, graphics ram max out 1.6GB only. Overall physical & virtual ram are also lower.

Only 943MB used !!!! VERY HIGH SETTINGS at POSTAA not MSAA

Posted Image

This next picture even shows 900MB used !!! with fancy cockpit glass still on.
Posted Image

#4 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:00 AM

Above, the 900MB example was training ground, no active players hence VERY HIGH SETTINGS not burdening the system. On normal go should be around 1.7GB+++

On another note, using same setup but on a old MSI LIGHTNING R5870 1GB graphics card at LOW SETTINGS without AA. A mere 500MB+++ is used, in actually 600MB+++

Posted Image

Then at MEDIUM SETTINGS without AA, it goes up to 800MB+++
Posted Image

On HIGH SETTINGS without AA touching 900MB+++
Posted Image
Notice GPU load 85%, not even 100% with HIGH SETTINGS.

Hence all 1GB card owners should still be able to play well enough.

#5 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

One way to quickly check is ram usage in lobby, please see below LOW versus HIGH versus VERY HIGH settings. They are all pretty low until launch. I forgot to catch MEDIUM. was interested to see how much HIGH it could go, this was the mystery for me.

From 408MB LOW to 440MB HIGH to 582MB VERY HIGH. Hence any 1GB card can run HIGH settings alright. without AA.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

View Postcx5, on 01 February 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

One way to quickly check is ram usage in lobby, please see below LOW versus HIGH versus VERY HIGH settings. They are all pretty low until launch. I forgot to catch MEDIUM. was interested to see how much HIGH it could go, this was the mystery for me.

From 408MB LOW to 440MB HIGH to 582MB VERY HIGH. Hence any 1GB card can run HIGH settings alright. without AA.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's before you logged off and re-logged in in order to apply those settings, or, with that having been done? If it tells you that you have to log off and re-login after having changed some settings, you need to do that first. Also, I don't know if the setup screen is a good indication of the in-game behavior. But you are right that 1GB cards can play this game fine on minimal settings--I had GTX 465 (overclocked) and it played better on minimal settings than my new GTX 970, whereas GTX 465 played at consistent 50 fps and GTX 970 would drop to 20 fps. I still think it has something to do with new Maxwell architecture to blame.

#7 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

Hi, nice to hear from you.

Yes & No, I didn't logout and relogin to check them all, I did so as you said a lot of times before and it's about the same, hence during my screen capture I just lazy out and swap, and it managed to show JUMPS in ram usage, good indications.

Understand what you say on the architecture.

#8 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:46 AM

Adding more information, x-files ghosts findings, hopefully can help more players.

1st of two topic,
Between 13th to 25th Feb, played on 8 years old PC athlon X2 o/c 2.7Ghz dual core only, with 4GB DDR2_800 only, with radeon 5570 512MB only, also o/c from 650Mhz to 800Mhz, then graphics all LOW settings without AA display at 1600x900 resolution, Win7 64. Ultimately 15~20 fps only from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 300ms ping, ADSL 4Mb/s ISP Telekom Unifi something package. It is playable. One of the match using Atlas DDC SRM18 get 3 kills 6 assist 800 damage sort off, screen shot to come much later when I'm not lazy. It is playable.

Desync???? disconnection???? lag???? honestly!!!!! I don't think so..... there could be a day 5 hours straight without any issues, then some of those but never more then one problem at random times, overall it's a small tad worst than when I'm in Hong Kong, but it's not at all worst until can't play. When disconnected, just relogin 3 or 4 times and immedialely OK, desync only momentarily an hour or 45 mins or so, definitely was every 30 mins and definitely not constant desync, it was a quick second jump desync, nothing to complain about. Lag??? doubt it either.

topic 2nd of two.
Recently early April, back in HK on my PhenomII 3.4Ghz machine, due to reinstalled entire PC, experienced sudden_death fps drops to 13fps+/-2fps. Really bad. Guess what's the problem was???

Surprise surprise, something was sucking all my CPU and showing 100% for all 4 cores. Crazy. Quit MWO client does not solve it :) hahahahahhaa, gotto open windows task manager, simply look through what's sucking it.... nothing!!!! then CPU suddenly drops near 0% :P, PC blowing nose to me, dam......

So, ok sweety my beloved PC, I'll love you more and treat you nicer and all, so don't girly ladily womenly me OK....

And relaunch MWO client, play smooth and nice, on random time, random map, random mech, then it comes sudden death of fps down to 13fps and after a few instances, quick check CPU load = 100%, then I laugh, realizing no need to close MWO client, just open task manger, just look through the n CPU drops to near zero, ALT+TAB switch window jump back into game and it's higher fps again, like 30 fps for some map, 50 fps on other maps. Crazy yeah !!!!! I've got screenshots, will post when not lazy.

May be a virus, may be something else, but funnily this problem disappears after two weeks later!!!! ghosts!!!!

So morale of the story, use and turn on system hardware monitoring all the time. Check on it whenever problem occurs.

Edited by cx5, 24 April 2015 - 05:11 AM.

#9 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:07 AM

Ok, screenshots when using 8 years old low spec PC. It's no super, but good enough for me to accept the outcome :)

http://www.my-acoust...1_47_25_818.jpg 293ms ping

http://www.my-acoust...1_47_22_090.jpg

and the puny graphics card being used

http://www.my-acoust...9_07_38_007.jpg GPU load low because next picture

http://www.my-acoust...9_07_34_557.jpg athlon dual core full load, couldn't provide data to GPU enough, CPU is bottle necking the GPU.

Edited by cx5, 24 April 2015 - 05:10 AM.

#10 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:09 AM

It is known that MWO has some issues with how much RAM and VRAM it can use, hence why the 64-bit client release was kind of a big deal months ago. An actual leak? I haven't seen any major memory leaks, maybe a tiny one but nothing as drastic as you've mentioned.

On the flip side of that - MWO is very heavy on the CPU and it makes perfect sense that your old CPU is not keeping up at very high settings so there is no shocker there. If an i7 4790K can experience lower FPS at very high, I can guarantee that a Phenom II chip will be a good 30-50% worse pretty much across the board which means very choppy indeed. Your problem is not likely to be related just to RAM/VRAM. The minute you lower particles to low, shadows to medium, and environment to high instead of having everything at very high, I'm pretty sure you'll start to see what I'm talking about.

Note: after changing your settings, you should clear the shader cache before testing again.
Note: there are also changes you can make in the user.cfg that may help, too (they're posted around here somewhere)

#11 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 24 April 2015 - 05:09 AM, said:

It is known that MWO has some issues with how much RAM and VRAM it can use, hence why the 64-bit client release was kind of a big deal months ago. An actual leak? I haven't seen any major memory leaks, maybe a tiny one but nothing as drastic as you've mentioned.

On the flip side of that - MWO is very heavy on the CPU and it makes perfect sense that your old CPU is not keeping up at very high settings so there is no shocker there. If an i7 4790K can experience lower FPS at very high, I can guarantee that a Phenom II chip will be a good 30-50% worse pretty much across the board which means very choppy indeed. Your problem is not likely to be related just to RAM/VRAM. The minute you lower particles to low, shadows to medium, and environment to high instead of having everything at very high, I'm pretty sure you'll start to see what I'm talking about.

Note: after changing your settings, you should clear the shader cache before testing again.
Note: there are also changes you can make in the user.cfg that may help, too (they're posted around here somewhere)

agree 100%, though recent game optimizations seem to have improved fps decently for me anyway... i play on very high settings across the board and FXAA, 64bit, 1080, when running around maps fps is anywhere from 70-90ish when in battle it can still drop down to 40ish (which doesnt matter)

comp specs below.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users