41 replies to this topic

#1 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:16 PM

That House Davion are the Ultra Marines of Battletech?

Don't take this the wrong way Davion pilots but the lore authors loved you just a little too much. It's funny, I love battletech lore, but House Davion just feels way too good.

So am I wrong? Does Davion have a darker side? Or is House Davion just a bunch of white knights?

#2 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:02 AM

People like any other. The problem is that in most gaming communities all you have to do to be labeled a 'white knight' is not be a complete and total raging a**hole.

Edited by MischiefSC, 03 February 2015 - 12:02 AM.

#3 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:24 AM

I always thought of davion is more like the fairies in peter pan.

#4 Runs With Scissors

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:34 AM

it only seems that way cause victor davion was the pointman for stomping on the clanners. Im pretty sure it was his dad who started the 4th succession war on his wedding day. And didn't victor clone mariks son cause he died of leukemia and he didn't want the mariks to stop giving him support (money, mechs) vs the clans? All the houses and clans had all sorts of backstabbery going on

#5 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:43 AM

Didn't Liao tried to replace hanse with a clone? Wasn't this the reason for the 4th succesion war? Wasn't marik a itsy bitsy lil' bit involved in that maskirovka action? Do we have a slective memory if it suits us mr. Marik?

#6 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:53 AM

View Postkesmai, on 03 February 2015 - 12:43 AM, said:

... Wasn't marik a itsy bitsy lil' bit involved in that maskirovka action?...

No.

#7 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:31 AM

did steiner already exist at the beginning of Battletech?

googling tells me BT is 1984 while WH 40k is 1987. so Ultramarines are Steiner instead?

Edited by Lily from animove, 03 February 2015 - 01:31 AM.

#8 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:35 AM

You are right molossian dog, marik wasn't involved in operation doppelganger. Sry 4 that.

#9 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:00 AM

Really, you thought SAFE was part of a (at least partly) ----successful---- covert operation?

MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 03 February 2015 - 02:05 AM.

#10 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:17 AM

View PostRuns With Scissors, on 03 February 2015 - 12:34 AM, said:

it only seems that way cause victor davion was the pointman for stomping on the clanners. Im pretty sure it was his dad who started the 4th succession war on his wedding day. And didn't victor clone mariks son cause he died of leukemia and he didn't want the mariks to stop giving him support (money, mechs) vs the clans? All the houses and clans had all sorts of backstabbery going on

The plan to have a double of Joshua Marik to keep Thomas support is beyond me. Hans never promised they would be able to save Joshua but they did give it their best shot. Had Victor just been honest about it he could ahve spard himself alot of grief. I remember Victor saying he thought he would have to make reparations over Joshuas death. Why? He would have to compensate Thomas over tryign to save the kids life?

That whole plot thread and the infuriating ruining of Thomas character that spun out of it still makes no sense to me. I suppose there are alot of things in Battletech lore that doesn't make much sense to me.

#11 DaynarFaol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 103 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:29 AM

*Cough* Kell Hounds *Cough*

*Hack* Dark Ages *Hack*

#12 MacLannan

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, it's amazing what a company (FASA) will do to try to keep themselves from bankruptcy, up to and including breaking their own game with these mystical invaders from beyond the Periphery. That's all the Clans really were - then they had the writers scrambling to come up with a backstory that somewhat fit. Oh well, it keeps the fanbois happy I suppose.

#13 DaynarFaol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 103 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:44 AM

Clan tech = faster tt games.

And it should be noted that House Davion was designed to be the most honest house. Not honorable, just honest. Within it's own objectives and outlook. And that is the thing Davion has the most open societies yet plays the Great Games very, very ruthlessly.

#14 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:37 AM

We're not perfect, but we're better than most. It does feel like each House has their black marks: Steiner has Katrina and the civil war. Kurita has Kentares IV, the Eridani Light House massacre, Marik has their involvement with Word of Blake. Liao... exists. FRR has relatively clean hands but they don't exist long. And of course the Clanners are Clanners. For Davion, I would say our biggest black marks come late in the time-line. No one had clean hands in the early Succession Wars, but Caleb Davion was a literal psychopath.

Regardless, Davion may not be perfect, but I consider them the better of the options. And if we have a dark side, well, I DO play this song to pump up my battalion on operations...

#15 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:43 AM

View PostGattling Fenn, on 02 February 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

So am I wrong? Does Davion have a darker side? Or is House Davion just a bunch of white knights?

The Fed-Suns is basically colonial Britain / France so yes they have a dark-side but it is a bit more abstract than the more mustache-twirling evil of other factions.

But like Mischief said, "all you have to do to be labeled a 'white knight' is not be a complete and total raging a**hole."

#16 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:43 AM

View PostGattling Fenn, on 02 February 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

That House Davion are the Ultra Marines of Battletech?

Don't take this the wrong way Davion pilots but the lore authors loved you just a little too much. It's funny, I love battletech lore, but House Davion just feels way too good.

Davion is Space Murica. My Main is Davion. Were just better people than everyone else. Dont hate. Ghost Bears are better than the other clans. Its the haves, and have nots. Have you not?

#17 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:50 AM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 07 February 2015 - 12:43 AM, said:

Davion is Space Murica. My Main is Davion. Were just better people than everyone else. Dont hate. Ghost Bears are better than the other clans. Its the haves, and have nots. Have you not?

Actually it's the FWL that's closest to being "Space Murica", the democratic schizophrenic arsenal of the inner sphere.

#18 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:55 AM

The Terran Hegemony was Space America. In the lore the USA settled most of the planets close to Terra since they had the money and power to do so. In a way, the Clans are kinda their descendants. Kinda.

Edited by dervishx5, 07 February 2015 - 12:56 AM.

#19 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:57 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 07 February 2015 - 12:55 AM, said:

The Terran Hegemony was Space America. In the lore the USA settled most of the planets close to Terra since they had the money and power to do so. In a way, the Clans are kinda their descendants. Kinda.

Were not talking about who physically came from where, we're talking about cultural aesthetic and the narrative role of each faction.

Terran Hegemony was space Greece to the Star League's space Rome.

#20 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:21 AM

Terran hegemony controlled the star league. But fair enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users