Need A New Computer...hoping You Guys Might Chime In.

49 replies to this topic

#41 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

Both WoW and MWO are heavily dependent on CPU power. Build your PC around a Intel Quad core with a low to mid level GPU.

#42 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostZark474, on 09 February 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

Dear OP,
-if you want to save money get Asrock mobo, they are built by Asus too(and imo there is no point getting a Z board without a K processor)
-Never touch XFX product...ever, so throw that PSU as far away as you can get FSP, Seasonic, maybe some Chieftech stuff.
-The 270X is a slightly OC-ed 7870( so you could get a used 7870, but to be honest i would rather get a 280 or 280x).
-avoid high profile RAMs with fancy heatsinks they just block the aftermarket coolers (and some have the tendency to brake off)

Here is my recommendation:
(yes, the FX CPU line isn't the best, but it's price/performance ratio is still the best plus its good in low budget builds, and i would go for a better gpu any day over a better cpu in gaming rigs.)
--cpu cooler is optional--
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fVn9vK

and your MODIFIED version if you want to go intel:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XzKsxr

NOTE: check the case out first i've heard mixed things about it (of course if you're interrested)

Some of what you say is true.
Except the AMD part, for MWO at least AMD does not hold the price performance crown.

On the budget end the Pentium K will match the minimum FPS rates and exceed the FX series and cost less.

At the higher end the I5 series is available for not much more than the 8350 and again will perform better in MWO and that's not just restricted to Haswell.

Now for general multi tasking and other games sure both brands trade blows. Just not here.

Also I thought pegatron made asrock boards these days not asus

Edited by DV McKenna, 09 February 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#43 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($185.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($76.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Aerocool Strike-X One ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.89 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $717.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-09 17:16 EST-0500
$717.82-15% off thing=$610.15, that's with everything from Amazon to maximize Points & Perks. if you were to get it elsewhere:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.55 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Aerocool Strike-X One ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $660.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-09 17:19 EST-0500
$660.37-15%=$561.31
GTX 960 is the Newest having just been released Last Month, it's a Step above the R9 270X, on same level as the R9 280/285: http://www.tomshardw...iew,3107-7.html
that RAM is 1866MHz so it's 266MHz Faster than 1600MHz RAM and it's CAS 9 like what you chose.

#44 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

Yeah after I added everything up from Amazon and checked out what we'd be saving plus the points we were still nearly $100 more than if we split the order up to the best priced merchants...so that's what we did. Thought the perks would even it out but not close enough.

This is the route we're going: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6pxRyc

Everyone who made suggestions we really appreciate it. If we didn't use your suggestion please don't be offended...I inquired in multiple places for an overall build and then again for the individual parts.

Zark, I actually didn't see your post about the XFX PSU...everyone I asked about PSU's gave me "eh" responses across the board. The one we bought has pretty fair reviews.

Letto, I saw the GTX960 and had a few people suggest it claiming very good experiences themselves. We didn't think the performance above the R9 was enough to justify the $60 difference...not for what we're going to be doing.

Thanks for all your help, all of you!

#45 HybridTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 281 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

My opinion is to avoid dual core regardless of the type. I've run MWO on several other computers in the past and dual core systems lagged behind very badly... very poor performance. Though I will admit, most of said dual core rigs were of older generations... I can't speak to how well newer dual cores handle it. (That said one of them had Dual core and was running a GTX560 and 8 gigs of DDR2.... still very poor FPS on lowest settings and resolution.) Anyone who has a better result with a dual core rig please chime in.

#46 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostHybridTheory, on 09 February 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

My opinion is to avoid dual core regardless of the type. I've run MWO on several other computers in the past and dual core systems lagged behind very badly... very poor performance. Though I will admit, most of said dual core rigs were of older generations... I can't speak to how well newer dual cores handle it. (That said one of them had Dual core and was running a GTX560 and 8 gigs of DDR2.... still very poor FPS on lowest settings and resolution.) Anyone who has a better result with a dual core rig please chime in.

http://mwomercs.com/...02#entry3811502

#47 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

They already have based on the OPs original budget.
Which changed later on.

#48 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:46 PM

Neither here nor there, really, but this is my own personal setup. I took the screen of my desktop as it currently sits just to show what's going on here. I was currently flying across Draenor in World of Warcraft when the screen cap was taken, and my mech bay is loaded. Plus Open Office is running. Plus chrome. Plus a file folder was open. All running nicely.

I average probably 35~40fps in both WoW and MWO at medium settings regardless of what's going on in the background. I do have an occasional driver issue, though, that causes my GPU to go apeshit and my FPS crashes and then I BSOD...but other than that it's great.

http://i.imgur.com/rBGOo1z.jpg

I chalk it up the the XPS 720 being a ******* monster. It does everything I throw at it today...with a decent video card when the thing was made in 2006...that must have been otherworldly.

Edited by Makenzie71, 09 February 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#49 Zark474

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:45 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 09 February 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Also I thought pegatron made asrock boards these days not asus

Appreciate the info man!

Yes, the new pentium is nice, and it leaves you with a good platform and really good cpu-s to choose from if you decide to upgrade.
(Personally i would never buy a PC for just one game, thats why i went with the amd on the first rig.)

#50 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:32 AM

View PostZark474, on 10 February 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

(Personally i would never buy a PC for just one game, thats why i went with the amd on the first rig.)

Amd only has a price/performance advantage in highly multithreaded workloads. Games are not and I fear they'll never be, an i5-4460 + H81 cheapo board will outperform all amd cpu's for gaming.

One tier lower the haswell i3's beat the FX6300 in games.

In things that do scale well with multithreading like cinebench the FX scores well, but not in games. I was extremely dissapointed when it launched, as in many games the old phenom II's performed better. With the x3xx versions they've improved it a bit, but it's still pretty bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users