23 replies to this topic

#21 Samurai Hanse Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:30 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 08 February 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

Well then there is hope for we anti-clan players who retain obedience to his unit's structure and honorable obligations to her friends and allies.

Doesn't mean I can't grouse. I've a reputation of being a curmudegeon to uphold.

View PostKjudoon, on 10 February 2015 - 03:09 AM, said:

Because some of us enjoy the role play as much or more than the pew pew. My unit made commitments, and I intend to honor them while remaining true to my own self.

If you did not know, the Seraphim devote a lot of time and energy creating lots of lore, fan fiction and media for this game because we enjoy it and so do many others.

To thine own self be true.... even if it is just a role and a game.

View PostKjudoon, on 10 February 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

He smiles whistfully at the brashness of the Kuritan trying to stare him down and belittle him. He takes another bite of his BLT sandwich, and a sip of his Bourbon and Cola, shoulders bouncing with a restrained chuckle.

"Babaluga, I'm a merc, not a loyalist. Someone your house desperately needs right now. Or have you got a handle on the clans? I don't do all that Hairy Carry stuff. But I do know about offense and face and honor." With his left hand, Kjudoon toys with his pickle spear.

"So..." he says, eyes never leaving the man standing across the table, "if you don't need us, we can always go work for another side. No skin off our red rosey." He leans back in his chair, looking relaxed but his eyes firey intense.

"I suspect you say such things because you're Space Bacon deficient. Here. Have a BLT. Fix you right up."

Angry silence greets this suggestion.

"All right, unless you intend to spread some more mayo on the other half of my sammich with that oversized butter knife... let's take the hand off the hilt of your'un... and I'll take my hand off the grip of my shotgun aimed at your gut, and have lunch together. I've got no desire for a fracas that could be an interstellar incident over my units standing orders."

He searches the eyes on the other end of the standoff for any sign of relenting.

"What do you say, hoss? Sound like a plan? Or is this going to get messy?"

A nervous cough is heard from the waitress who wandered by at the wrong time and the fan ticks quietly in the suddenly silent restaurant.

View PostKjudoon, on 10 February 2015 - 09:57 PM, said:

My unit's standing orders supersede the faction that hired me. I serve at my colonel's pleasure. We make money working for factions. They hire us for what we are and what we can do for them

Caveat emptor.

View PostKjudoon, on 11 February 2015 - 02:09 AM, said:

Story of my life too.

#22 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

View PostChefGerstmann, on 11 February 2015 - 01:46 AM, said:

Wait, I'm not quite sure what your point is anymore. His point was Kurita is not yet a member of the star league, so you don't have to fight the clans exclusively if you don't want to. Unless you're saying your unit commander gave that order. I don't know. I'm confused and tired.

Yes, that's more or less standing orders for units who shifted that way as part of the nSL initiative.

#23 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostBront, on 10 February 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

What seems to happen on both ends is PUGs defend, while groups attack.

Attacking the clans, I've run into PUG groups more than coordinated 12 mans. Heck, often I've dropped against a Jade Falcon planet only to be met by Wolves, Bears, and Jags.

Honestly, I think a better option might be this: Rather than having 2 planets on the boarder under conflict, have a single planet, and alternate between attack and defense. Basically, if a planet changes hands, it's under attack again by the other side, otherwise, a new planet is attacked. The algorithm would work something like this:

I see a potential issue here. If a faction has little presence in a timezone, say the Oceanic one , it may lose with little fight a hard-won planet taken in the previous cycle the NA one.

Edited by CyclonerM, 11 February 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#24 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 11 February 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

I see a potential issue here. If a faction has little presence in a timezone, say the Oceanic one , it may lose with little fight a hard-won planet taken in the previous cycle the NA one.

I didn't say it was perfect, and currectly what happens is in NA you might exchange planets for a net 0, then lose a planet without taking one back, so you're -1 net. I just think it helps funnel players into actual games that mean something more often than the current system where you have to hope you get some other people to roll into your particular combat, and it means more likely to have teams fighting teams since they'll have to meet on the front rather than miss eachother and feasting on PUGs.

(not that I think groups are there just to feast on PUGs, it's a byproduct of groups prefering to attack and take a planet vs defend).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users