Why Are Premades Allowed To Fight Pubs?

88 replies to this topic

#1 DukeRustfield

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:39 PM

Simple as that.

I took off from MWO for maybe 6+ months. I had been in a clan, done synch drops. It was cool for a bit. But I'm a bit too casual for it all and don't have much time.

So I come back and see community warfare up. Nice. I used some of my ancient MC and credits to get up to speed. I played some normal games first so I wasn't horrible. Then I jumped in, saw it was an entire enemy team of one clan vs. our pubs.

We got slaughtered. The same thing happened next game. Then the game after. All different clans.

To head off the pat answer of: join a clan. I don't want to. I've been in one. Done it. Over it.

A significant selling point of this game had always been community warfare. But 30 mins is a long time when there's about an 80% chance of defeat. And to head off the other pat answer of: you can still win. Sure. Just like an atlas with one small laser and nothing else can totally defeat a fully armed one. It's just extremely unlikely.

There's not much I can do except vote with my feet. And by that I mean drop out of the game every time it's a clan. Eventually the devs will have to do something.

#2 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

View PostDukeRustfield, on 05 February 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

Simple as that.

I took off from MWO for maybe 6+ months. I had been in a clan, done synch drops. It was cool for a bit. But I'm a bit too casual for it all and don't have much time.

So I come back and see community warfare up. Nice. I used some of my ancient MC and credits to get up to speed. I played some normal games first so I wasn't horrible. Then I jumped in, saw it was an entire enemy team of one clan vs. our pubs.

We got slaughtered. The same thing happened next game. Then the game after. All different clans.

To head off the pat answer of: join a clan. I don't want to. I've been in one. Done it. Over it.

A significant selling point of this game had always been community warfare. But 30 mins is a long time when there's about an 80% chance of defeat. And to head off the other pat answer of: you can still win. Sure. Just like an atlas with one small laser and nothing else can totally defeat a fully armed one. It's just extremely unlikely.

There's not much I can do except vote with my feet. And by that I mean drop out of the game every time it's a clan. Eventually the devs will have to do something.

In game VOIP Feb 17th. If you don't want to use it, then stick to the public queue.

#3 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:34 PM

Community warfare is hard mode- team play is needed. Public queue is the solo place.

If you don't want to join a unit, either join a house TS server or just get used to it- PGI, isn't going to change a queue designed for teams just because a solo pug DCs.

Edited by Lord Ikka, 05 February 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#4 DukeRustfield

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

View PostLord Ikka, on 05 February 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

Community warfare is hard mode- team play is needed. Public queue is the solo place.

If you don't want to join a unit, either join a house TS server or just get used to it- PGI, isn't going to change a queue designed for teams just because a solo pug DCs.

Community warfare was never defined as any of that. It was simply COMMUNITY warfare. If they wanted to call it Clan warfare or team warfare or esport warfare or any of the vast number of combinations that signifies what you're hinting it is, then they could have from the start.

You can view the CW page and there is zero mention of anything you said. They repeatedly mention the player. What each player does in CW.

I'm in a game right now. Well, quit from one. Because it was another premade vs. pub which can't be fun for anyone. So it's easy enough to **** all over CW so the queue times jump up.

This was THE main draws of this game. If it is for esporters clans only, it's of no interest to probably 90% of the planet's gamers. This is a free game.

#5 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

They're adding small-group and solo game modes later in the year. Beta, Stage 1 CW is much easier for players with teams.

#6 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

View PostDukeRustfield, on 05 February 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

Community warfare was never defined as any of that. It was simply COMMUNITY warfare. If they wanted to call it Clan warfare or team warfare or esport warfare or any of the vast number of combinations that signifies what you're hinting it is, then they could have from the start.

You can view the CW page and there is zero mention of anything you said. They repeatedly mention the player. What each player does in CW.

I'm in a game right now. Well, quit from one. Because it was another premade vs. pub which can't be fun for anyone. So it's easy enough to **** all over CW so the queue times jump up.

This was THE main draws of this game. If it is for esporters clans only, it's of no interest to probably 90% of the planet's gamers. This is a free game.

PGI defined CW as 'hard mode'. Here is the thread where he describes it as a game mode that specializes in unit vs unit battles:

http://mwomercs.com/...e-how-it-works/

View PostVlad Ward, on 05 February 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

They're adding small-group and solo game modes later in the year. Beta, Stage 1 CW is much easier for players with teams.

This will hopefully make the game more friendly to solo players.

#7 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:41 PM

Welcome back to the war! Make sure you get back into a unit if you haven't already, knock of the dust, brush up on CW builds and tactics, and prepare for the fight of your life.

#8 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

December called, they want their topic back.

#9 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostDukeRustfield, on 05 February 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

Simple as that.

This is what's going on.

#10 AC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:16 PM

Why are there pubs at all?!?? This is a team based game, and it seems like PGI goes out of its way to ensure that actually playing as a team is impossible!

Where is a decent lobby??
Where is in game voice chat???
Where is the ability to play with the same group of people again after a game (outside of premades)??

Edited by AC, 05 February 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#11 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:19 PM

View PostAC, on 05 February 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

Why are there pubs at all?!?? This is a team based game, and it seems like PGI goes out of its way to ensure that actually playing as a team is impossible!

Where is the ability to play with the same group of people again???

VOIP Feb 17.
The ability to add friends and create groups has been in since since Beta.
PGI never said this was going to be a lobby game.

Edited by Davers, 05 February 2015 - 08:40 PM.

#12 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

View PostDavers, on 05 February 2015 - 08:19 PM, said:

VOIP Feb 17.
The ability to add friends and create groups has been in since since Beta.
PGI never said this was going to be a lobby game.

Perhaps not, but he does raise an interesting point - a lobby system could mitigate a lot of pug woes in CW and arguably allow for on-the-fly coordination. It might not match up to a real 12-man premade, but most of us are hurting for numbers badly enough that it certainly couldn't hurt.

#13 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:20 PM

View PostAC, on 05 February 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

Where is the ability to play with the same group of people again after a game (outside of premades)??

The funny thing is, judging from the way this guy's comments are worded, you can tell he's been gone for 6 months. It has hints of last summer's saltiness around the edges.

Edited by DaemonWulfe, 05 February 2015 - 10:21 PM.

#14 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:01 PM

View PostDukeRustfield, on 05 February 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

Lolwut?

Yes Virginia, CW was billed as Hard Mode. No Match Maker, no Elo, just straight drops against straight drops. Where the merc units and loyalist groups would finally have a place to do their thing.

So, Community referes to those who have built a community or are part of one. Not just those who come by the forums once in a blue moon and spend most of their time soloing. Being solo is (wait for it) NOT being part of a community. Ergo, as you put it, TEAM Warfare.

As far as Esport warfare, that's in the Private Match system. You can wave your Epeen all over the place there, but I don't think you know what Epeen means, as that refers to pride in individual achievement There is no KDR or ELO to brag about here. In Community Warfare it is pride in either your faction (taking a planet) or in your Unit (getting your tag on a planet when a faction takes it) but you'll notice that both of those require you to be part of a community.

This was never billed as WASDerp Warfare, thats for the public queue.

Edited by Roadbeer, 05 February 2015 - 11:02 PM.

#15 Malfrost

Rookie

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:22 PM

Hey I understand your frustration, I have a weird schedule and most of my clan/group run at different times than I do, as a result, I run a lot of solo drops. I agree its probably 75-80% chance you are going to lose when its just a bunch of pubbers vs a large organized voice chat premade drop in CW.

That said, we can win, it usually takes a little bit of initiative of people calling out some basic strategy and giving out some essential heads up, but it happens. I've won a few matches against those organized drops. But I agree it would be nice for a little bit more of a pubber vs pubber option for people like you and me.

But beyond all this, I have to level some criticism. You know what definitely makes us lose? Guys like you calling out bull**** in team chat and dropping out of the game, thanks a lot, your temper tantrum takes our slim chance of victory and whittles it down even more. Like I said its frustrating, but you do realize you are screwing over the other 11 guys on your team right? I've seen it happen twice in my last 4 drops, and in BOTH of those matches it was a close game. One we actually won, and the other one I feel like having an extra 240 tons of mechs sure woulda helped.

Just my opinion, but you dropping out of the matches does absolutely NOTHING to "inspire the devs to change" and absolutely EVERYTHING to screw your team over.

#16 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:43 AM

View PostChefGerstmann, on 05 February 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

Perhaps not, but he does raise an interesting point - a lobby system could mitigate a lot of pug woes in CW and arguably allow for on-the-fly coordination. It might not match up to a real 12-man premade, but most of us are hurting for numbers badly enough that it certainly couldn't hurt.

More to the point this lets a 4man or 6man slowly collect and group in with the better pugs. This in turn makes joining a unit more about getting to know a group and how they play and working into their groove and less about the current system of 'pick a forum thread and take a shot' or the ever popular 'we played this 1 match together at band camp 2 months ago, are you guys recruiting' system we have now.

A lobby system of some sort would hugely improve the odds of getting the worthwhile pugs moved into units that suit them and at least expose the less social pugs to unit setup and behaviors that may spark in them a move towards being a more worthwhile pug.

There needs to be a better way to manage coordinating with people and sticking with them as a pug. We have a team oriented game that makes it stupidly difficult to get people involved in teams without the gaming equivalent of sales cold calling.

Needs a lobby system or at least the ability to add someone to your 'friends' list by clicking on them in your unit list. Something. Invite someone to your drop group in pre-game or post-game screen. Simple stuff but huge impact on wrapping players into groups, which in turn improves retention and player experience.

#17 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:57 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 06 February 2015 - 02:43 AM, said:

More to the point this lets a 4man or 6man slowly collect and group in with the better pugs. This in turn makes joining a unit more about getting to know a group and how they play and working into their groove and less about the current system of 'pick a forum thread and take a shot' or the ever popular 'we played this 1 match together at band camp 2 months ago, are you guys recruiting' system we have now.

I agree completely. An increase in house loyalist participation would also probably mean we'd see less influence from wherever the megamerc cartels decide to drop that week.

In fact I'd argue that if a Steam release is really inevitable it would very much be in PGI's best interests to create some kind of lobby system first to help facilitate migrating the massive influx of new players into CW and the game as a whole.

#18 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:05 AM

Community warfare requires a community. Playing with friends is more fun anyways.

#19 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:23 AM

The fact that they are adding, probationary as it may be, faction chat is going to really help- much like EVE's localalliance you will be able to inform non-unit faction members here they are needed, what TS everyone is on, and help newbies learn the game. Looking forward to it.

#20 DaniBot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 06 February 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

Community warfare requires a community. Playing with friends is more fun anyways.

Agree, i also wanted to point to the "Community" in "Community Warfare".

Not Singleplayer/One-man-army -warfare.

The difference is the objective and you will need more teamplay to win than in PUB matches where randomness and single performance is a huge factor.

As always:

Teamplay = Victory

Accept it, or play MW4 ;) or MW3 is also cool and MW2.. teh besterest! ggs l9terz!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users