Kingcrab

30 replies to this topic

#1 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

why do they get cored so fast? its like 3 shots and ur cored or 6 large pulse laser hits and ur armour is allready red

i think im gonna put ferro armour cuz this thing can take less dmg than a jager ... just a waste of 10M mwo hard to get money

this is what im running curently

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f3e1fe792d55c5c

Edited by RePlayBoy101, 06 February 2015 - 10:21 AM.

#2 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:10 AM

They definitely core out fast.

Kind of like the Banshee or the BLR, they have good side torso boxes. This is good because weapons there won't often get blown out (although I do seem to lose them). It's bad because it means the crab's broad face is mostly CT.

Add to this the fact the Crab's arms don't swing side to side and it means you have to stare down a target (often more than one) in order to shoot at them. This is bad news for a mech that's mostly CT when you're looking at someone.

Finally, from above, the thing is a giant target/helipad for LRMs, so if an LRM boat gets locked on you and you can't break it? Yeah - you're going to get drilled through pretty fast.

I wouldn't go less than 14 on your rear CT, so you did that right. The only suggestion I'd have is don't try to be the tank in a given situation. You may be a 100 ton mech, but you aren't an Atlas. Waddle up to the front line, probe, try to come in from the side. Pilot the thing more like a Stalker than an Atlas or Whale and you'll do well.

#3 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:15 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 06 February 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

They definitely core out fast.

Kind of like the Banshee or the BLR, they have good side torso boxes. This is good because weapons there won't often get blown out (although I do seem to lose them). It's bad because it means the crab's broad face is mostly CT.

Add to this the fact the Crab's arms don't swing side to side and it means you have to stare down a target (often more than one) in order to shoot at them. This is bad news for a mech that's mostly CT when you're looking at someone.

Finally, from above, the thing is a giant target/helipad for LRMs, so if an LRM boat gets locked on you and you can't break it? Yeah - you're going to get drilled through pretty fast.

I wouldn't go less than 14 on your rear CT, so you did that right. The only suggestion I'd have is don't try to be the tank in a given situation. You may be a 100 ton mech, but you aren't an Atlas. Waddle up to the front line, probe, try to come in from the side. Pilot the thing more like a Stalker than an Atlas or Whale and you'll do well.

the only thing that bugs me is that 2 ac10 just kill u in seconds ... now i know why its only 10M cuz it sucks bigtime

Edited by RePlayBoy101, 06 February 2015 - 09:31 AM.

#4 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostRePlayBoy101, on 06 February 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

why do they get cored so fast? its like 3 shots and ur cored or 6 large pulse laser hits and ur armour is allready red

i think im gonna put ferro armour cuz this thing can take less dmg than a jager

LRM Ammo on the CT? Dude... that's a bad idea...

Try moving it to a side torso and adding C.A.S.E. It will increase your survival a bit. Also, i would recommend adding more rear armor, since a Firestarter FS9-A can destroy you in less then 4 seconds if it get's behind.

#5 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

You have to be real quick on the torso spins, for sure. Snap off a couple shots, spin, but yes - there might be something wonky with the hitboxes, because I do seem to lose that 100+ points of armor REAL fast and not against a lot of firepower. I had a Tbolt last night, for example, with something like 5 MLs.

25 point alpha. Should have taken it a good 4-5 alphas to get through my pristine armor. It took two.

#6 Hervedgerse

• PipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

Ammo that explodes should go in the arms. No one really targets them as it's so much easier to just blow out a side torso.

#7 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

View PostHervedgerse, on 06 February 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

Ammo that explodes should go in the arms. No one really targets them as it's so much easier to just blow out a side torso.

i never had an ammo explosion ..... ever

the center torso is whats weak about this thing

#8 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:51 AM

View PostRePlayBoy101, on 06 February 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

i think im gonna put ferro armour cuz this thing can take less dmg than a jager

It sounds like, from your words, you think that running ferro fibrous armor gives you more protection.

Heads up, it doesn't. All it does is make your armor weigh LESS. It doesn't actually raise the value of armor you can put anywhere. So, between Endo and Ferro, ALWAYS take endo. It costs the same number of slots but returns more tonnage to you.

#9 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6f79069efe27832

Is what I'm currently running. I like it for it's mixed-range approach and powerful brawling, but it shares the tendency of a lot of my 'Mechs to run a little short on AC20 ammo for extended engagements.

Fire LRMs at long-distance targets, poke with LLs at mid-range and if they come for a brawl, send them off with a few kisses.

#10 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 06 February 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6f79069efe27832

Is what I'm currently running. I like it for it's mixed-range approach and powerful brawling, but it shares the tendency of a lot of my 'Mechs to run a little short on AC20 ammo for extended engagements.

Fire LRMs at long-distance targets, poke with LLs at mid-range and if they come for a brawl, send them off with a few kisses.

i sold it cuz its to weak so i dont need builds ... but thx anyway

#11 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:37 AM

Well, it has a really wide-stance, so if you waddle around a corner at those incredibly slow speeds, people have a LOT of time to react to you. They'll see you emerging years before you actually poke your cockpit around the corner, so they'll see you way before you see them.

I'm guessing that you're probably doing that, and also why you're dying so fast, you're turning a corner directly into the fire of several enemy mechs.

Your loadout has twin Gauss, no reason to hug corners so tightly unless you're pinned by LRMs. Pivot around the corner at a longer distance, you'll expose yourself to only 1 or 2 enemies at a time, and you'll see each other at roughly the same time, instead of allowing enemies to see you way sooner than you see them (and thus giving them the first shot).

#12 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:50 AM

View PostRePlayBoy101, on 06 February 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

the only thing that bugs me is that 2 ac10 just kill u in seconds ... now i know why its only 10M cuz it sucks bigtime

Lets be honest, with 100+ points of armor CT you aren't dying that quick to 2 A/C10, but when you wander into the enemy lines you get focused. Be more aware of how many mechs are by you. :P

Edited by Amsro, 07 February 2015 - 02:50 AM.

#13 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:00 AM

It's still feels alot more maneuverable than a Dire or Atlas to me.
That and the ballistic hardpoints in the arms and the high mounted energy hardpoints, make it the best 100t assault for me.

The problem of getting cored quick is no different for a Dire or Atlas.
Dire got more firepower but terrible maneuverability, Atlas got slightly better hitboxes, but loses side torsos very fast and needs to expose alot due to its low mounted weapons.

Assaults just aren't what the name implies.
They are big, easy to hit targets, and they will go down fast from some focus fire.
They are better as second line mechs to join the fight when the opponents have more targets, so they don't focus on a single assault.

#14 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:15 AM

View PostRoadbuster, on 07 February 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

It's still feels alot more maneuverable than a Dire or Atlas to me.
That and the ballistic hardpoints in the arms and the high mounted energy hardpoints, make it the best 100t assault for me.

The problem of getting cored quick is no different for a Dire or Atlas.
Dire got more firepower but terrible maneuverability, Atlas got slightly better hitboxes, but loses side torsos very fast and needs to expose alot due to its low mounted weapons.

Assaults just aren't what the name implies.
They are big, easy to hit targets, and they will go down fast from some focus fire.
They are better as second line mechs to join the fight when the opponents have more targets, so they don't focus on a single assault.

Honestly, compared to the Dire and Atlas the Crab feels like it's spinning on a top. It's got great twist, big ass arms to torso-twist soak if you REALLY get into a brawl (works well with Dires) and the high laser hardpoints are fantastic. It's awesome and I love it. #DireCrab4Life.

#15 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:24 AM

Might be the fear the Crab inspires. In most my PUG matches there is hardly any chat, other than "stay together". But I see lots of "Crab at B3!' type chatter. So maybe people are gunning for your Crab same way they do for Timbers.

#16 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:52 AM

It's got a lot of CT frontage. The extra twist speed helps a little, but you've got to be really fast and crisp with your twisting to pilot a Crab well on the front line. For less twitchy pilots I'd suggest gauss sniping from 4-600 meters back.

If you want a 'Mech than can just stand and slug it out and still feel like a tank, buy a Stalker. (But then Stalkers come with their own piloting quirks; no 'Mech in this game is a free win)

Edited by Bleary, 10 February 2015 - 03:52 AM.

#17 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:00 AM

I did a full re-design of my King Crab which you might find interesting: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ad3d6bf9dd39832

It's much less range-dependent now, being able to poke at up to 600m with its AC5s, but still being able to brawl very hard. I#ve made the experience that it's very easy to intimidate other pilots by sheer rate of fire (nobody likey being shot at, even the most hardboiled pilots crack under pressure at some point) and once the armor is stripped off, the LBs work their murder magic. At MLas optimal range, the spread of the LBs is also very focused around the torso (assuming you're aming for the CT) with most of the damage landing where you want it to go. This allows you to strip off armor very effectively while generating very low heat.

It's been performing very well for me, who prefers facing down opponents rather than twisting like I've been one too many times on one of those puking disk rides.

#18 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

Well anyone who thinks King Crabs can't spread damage, I just proved you ALL wrong, Just got my "yup, dead for sure" achievement by ending the match alive with 16% of my mech left! IN AN XL KING CRAB!!!! Like a boss!

#19 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:13 PM

I usually die pretty quickly in my King Crab too. They are such a unique looking mech they inspire fear whenever you play them so you usually get ganged up on. Of course while I'm holding down 4-5 mechs the rest of my team is free to flank or take out stranglers. Even if I die I know my sacrifice was worth it.

The sad part is that being quite the newbie they have nothing to fear from me. Hahaha!

#20 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

View PostDanth Reduviid, on 15 February 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

Of course while I'm holding down 4-5 mechs the rest of my team is free to flank or take out stranglers. Even if I die I know my sacrifice was worth it.

The sad part is that being quite the newbie they have nothing to fear from me. Hahaha!

With that mentality, I can already tell you're gonna be a great Assault pilot. Find your personal piloting habits, modify your 'Mechs accordingly and you'll make a mighty fine asset to assist your team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users