Playing The Mist Lynx Is Suffering

25 replies to this topic

#1 thehwdge

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:07 PM

So as a returning player, the first thing i found really cool was the new light mechs and seeing the mist lynx i immediately thought "awww its like an elemental" and bought one on an impulse,

i dont even know what to do with it, i have the B variant and it feels like this is probably squishier than the locust because its so damn slow and i get my arms clipped off if a jenner sneezes at me

what do

#2 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

Give it ECM and 1 m laser, 2 SRM 6's with 1.5 tons of ammo. You can bring the head to 1 and legs down 1 point of armor each to make room. Then use it's jump jets to go over an obsticle to drop in behind someone.

#3 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:34 PM

That is terrible build! Don't make fun of beginners please :-) This build doesn't have any ammo and with such limited armor it will be dead in no time.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:50 PM

View PostShade4x, on 07 February 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

Give it ECM and 1 m laser, 2 SRM 6's with 1.5 tons of ammo. You can bring the head to 1 and legs down 1 point of armor each to make room. Then use it's jump jets to go over an obsticle to drop in behind someone.

No.

Bluntly, the MLX is bad. 4CERML, 4CSPL, or ECM&ERPPC. Those builds are all bad, but everything else is even worse.

Edited by Terciel1976, 07 February 2015 - 09:50 PM.

#5 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:26 AM

As a Commando Pilot, I seem to do fine with a Laser build on my Myst Lynx, I did try Missiles and Ballistics to minimal success.

Here is my current build that makes full use of CAP against any ECM, it is a high effort build, but that was anticipated with a 25 tonner.

#6 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:18 AM

do not take ecm,just 4 spl and you are good to go.

#7 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:50 AM

I don't know how all of you play, but I am having a blast in my Drizzle Kitten. I bought the prime variant, and ran a LRM10, 2 CMG's and a CSSRM2.

After getting all the basic skills, I got the 1E, 2M arm, and switched to 2 CLRM5, CSSRM2 and ERSL - still having fun.

#8 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

It is beyond useless in CW. PUG drops = your experiences may vary. Still pretty bad though.

#9 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

i have an oddly good time in my C with 1ERLL+TC2+ECM

with the JJs you can get into all these odd places to just shoot at people and get ignored OR just annoy the crap out of them so they chase you and you run them into your team.

can mix it up with 1 LPL+ECM or 1ERLL + 2 SRM2 + 1 ton ammo + ecm.

#10 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:34 PM

There isn't really a good Mist Lynx build. I run 3 ER SL + 2 SRM6 with 2 tons of ammo. I put it at the back of my drop deck and hope I never use it. If for some reason I do have to use it, there should be plenty of beat up mechs to try and finish off or generators to destroy. But its main job is to let me take 3 really good heavies in my deck. Thats about it.

Edited by Rouken, 08 February 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#11 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

I've had mixed results pugging with THIS.

Depends on the groups you get, but can be very successful sticking with the heavies and provided ECM cover, then striking at the backs of engaged enemies.

If the group scatters you're pretty much SOL, but then you would be in pretty much anything.

#12 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

I've been doing somewhat well with a MLX-B. I removed the ER Med Lasers for 2 more ER sm lasers and an extra heat sink. Use a hit-and-run strategy on targets of opportunity, and try not to get caught alone. Even without mech perks, this build will be slow to build heat, even though it's primarily a knife fighter

#13 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:12 PM

I've had great fun with the ER PPC/ECM build in CW. It's hilarious to be leaping about at 800m, nailing people with PPCs blasts while they try to (ineffectively) shoot back. The thing is just so damned small and bouncy. WATCHOUT FOR LRMS AND DUAL GAUSS THOUGH! Even at 800m, a GOOD Dual Goose Pilot will connect, and even one slug is enough to ruin your day.

Also, be unpredictable. The idea with this thing is to pop over a hill, drop an alpha, and disappear again. NEVER stay to engage. Also, avoid enemy lights like the plague, they will either be faster (IS Lights) and run you down, or be Heavier Armed (Clan Lights) and able to one shot you, or Both (Firestarters). Be the Hammy! (Squirrel on SPEED)

#14 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:50 AM

a light with rocket like JJ's and only arm hardpoints on huge arms will always be bad. If it had 1 E in each sidetorsi it would be sooooo much better.

The mech is quite unreliable, if any IS light catches you, gameover. I currently play it as an assault ecm cover support. that with the JJ's acts a bit as an beacon and distractor while the fatties appraoch.

But comapred to other lights its not really good even the working tactics it can do can be done better with other lights..

#15 Drakkith

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

The problem with the ML is that it has no role that it excels at like the IS lights do. You're neither fast enough nor holding enough firepower to be a threat to anyone on your own, even other lights. Support roles can be taken by other mechs which are much better suited to the job. On top of that it has terrible hardpoint placements and so much tonnage devoted to JJ's and CAP that there's very little left to play with. You can't even build a decent sniper build. That being said, it can be fun to play, but that doesn't make it good to play.

#16 andrewkhlim

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

I'll admit it's a terrible mech due to everything listed but I still play it. It's my gamble for fun when I feel I don't have to win that game. And nothing is as satisfying as destroying some mech in the Mist Lynx because it's so darn hard to do so. It would definitely be off the back of someone's hard work, but I'll take it and be happy.

My most successful build is 2xMedPulse with ECM. (Played very conservatively)

I have the most fun in 2xSRM 6 (1.5 ton ammo), 2 Med Lasers.

#17 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:07 AM

While I think it is extremely gimped it does have some utility in CW. I pack mine with a ERPPC and ECM. Very good for causing fear in the enemy. It can trade very well with 1 or 2 TDR9S (once they have a line of them not so good) which seems like a very common mech in CW. Also coming in at 25T it is the lightest clan mech allowing you to have other bigger things that are more effective.

#18 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:07 AM

ECM+NARC+ERML - solo queue favors long range poking and LURMz. You'd be amazed how much you can earn from all those NARC assists and counter ECM bonuses.

#19 Bobman

• PipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

You can also run three SRM2s to shake the enemy screen into oblivion, along with decent damage. Alternate between the shots for high fire rate.
Take advantage of your low height! Sometimes larger mechs will turn around and completely ignore me if I'm right next to them.

Edited by Bobman, 12 February 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#20 RecklessFable

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:24 PM

I personally don't have the talent to pilot one of these, but I've seen them flying around pretty effectively. If you go into Clan Wars they might be good filler for a 4th slot if you want to take assaults.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users