• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

View PostLord Letto, on 09 February 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

Malwarebytes (Free) & CCleaner, that's all I Use, Family uses Norton though as much as I hate it. hopefully they'll go for something else when it expires.

Malware Bytes for sure. Free trial, cheap, and very effective. Stops virus's before they can even begin to mess things up.

#22 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

View PostStoneFeyer, on 09 February 2015 - 05:36 PM, said:

Doesn't matter

It doesn't matter that I asked a question..??
I see how it is.

Ok... Where's that IGNORE option again..??

Edited by Odins Fist, 09 February 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#23 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:37 PM

Nod32

#24 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:27 PM

Nortons and McAfee are trial versions good for 30 days, at which time a subscription is needed. If they do not subscribe/purchase then they are left with practically nothing. I use Nortons Internet Security on 3 of mine but I never renew the current subscription. I always purchase a sale versions from Newegg so usually save lot more then renewal rate over the a 2-3 year period.

As for McAfee, I do not have anything good to say about it, others have provided their thoughts on it.

Some of the differences between the Free antivirus version and the subscription/paid versions is customization, be it to exclude folders from live scanning/etc to other features.

http://www.tomsguide...eview-2588.html

Any other sites will have similar reviews.

#25 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:32 AM

Bitdefender.

Norton and Mcaffee are no nos

#26 Pet Dude

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUS West

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:39 AM

I use Norton Security. Norton Security is not Internet Security. They are two different programs. Norton Security is what 360 turned into. Most of 360 is still there in Norton Security. They only removed stuff on the clean up side such as registry clean up. It was a no use off as default feature anyway. They also parsed out the back up part. So you have Norton 360 which turned into Norton Security and Norton Security with back up. Those work fine.

#27 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:56 AM

I recommend Bitdefender or Avast, either free or pay. I pay for Avast because of the sandbox mode which is helpful for...other things ;). I also run CCleaner and Malwarebytes. With these three apps, I highly doubt you will have any trouble.

Also did not have to do anything special in Avast for MWO to run or patch properly.

#28 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:57 AM

View PostGolrar, on 10 February 2015 - 07:56 AM, said:

I recommend Bitdefender or Avast, either free or pay. I pay for Avast because of the sandbox mode which is helpful for...other things ;).

Like running shady things...

#29 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

Avast!

Avira

Both Free but imho Avast! is better

#30 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

I'm a huge fan of Bitdefender <3

#31 zeta44

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:58 PM

Windows defender/Microsoft security essentials

Free and extremely powerful

#32 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

Check out Vipre and Eset. They don't drag down your system like Norton. They also offer affordable bundles for multiple PC's.

#33 Kryton77

• PipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:54 AM

I recommend Eset also, very good software. Don't even notice its there, never had any issues with it. Doesn't slow everything down like Norton does. If you to go down the free path then I would go Avast.

#34 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:48 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 10 February 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

Like running shady things...

No comment.

#35 Chilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

Gorantir,

You can check out this site as well to get some independent test info:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

I personally use ESET and have been happy with its performance.

#36 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:33 AM

Use Avast!, works well.

#37 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

Malwarebytes is easily one of the best general anti-malware programs I've ever used, but it's more generalist software so I usually have it paired with more purpose-built anti-virus software. Bitdefender's free AV program is a good option there, but I've also used Avast and Avira a fair bit and have had good success.

Norton and Mcaffee are, quite frankly, a downgrade from having nothing. Minus data theft they're as bothersome as having a bad malware infestation.

Edited by Catamount, 12 February 2015 - 09:52 AM.

#38 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:03 AM

I remember once running the free scan on trendmicro.com on someone's PC and it actually found Norton as a virus.

#39 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 12 February 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

McAffee and Norton IMO SUCK!!!!!!!!! Talk about screwing up a computer worse than the virus would.

No joke. Mcaffee is so intensive that I've had people install it via Time Warner on slightly older computers, and they literally bog down because they can't handle it. I'm not even talking about running scans. Just starting up and having the computer be responsive once it boots to desktop was literally held up for multiple minutes. On one machine, a Compaq with a 2ghz Turion X2 and a gig of RAM running XP, McAffee would literally leave the machine essentially unresponsive for five to ten minutes (Explorer basically worked, but applications wouldn't launch). Yes, that was an outlier because the machine was exceptionally old, but less severe cases still left me sitting with severely bogged down computers, with the owners all giving the same story: "it was working fine, and now it's all slow and things take a long time to launch and don't run quickly... I think I have a virus". First question every time: "Do you have McAffee?" Response 80% of the time: "yeah it was a free deal from my Internet" Me: "there's your 'virus'".

Seriously, once ISPs, especially Time Warner, started giving that **** out, I'm pretty sure it started causing more overall pain and lost productivity than any actual virus outbreak since Sasser.

Norton is simply bad, and something I'd highly recommend against, but McAffee is just plain awful.

Edited by Catamount, 12 February 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#40 Kraegor

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

Coming from a IT Professional that specializes in small business and home setup.

My list:

1. Malwarebytes Antimalware (Paid if you can afford it)
2. Bitdefender Free Edition
3. Microsoft Security Essentials

AVG and Avast! are great, but I have noticed significant slowing on machines with a lot of data. (They like to scan everything continuously and monitor everything). The list above are based on performance, ability to capture real viruses and system resource management. They are the most game friendly as well as lowest resource intensive without sacrificing protection.

Stay away from:

1. ESET NOD32 Antivirus
2. McAffee Antivirus/Internet Security
3. Norton Antivurs/Internet Security

ESET is a great Antivirus, but it made for medium size businesses to use and has build in Administration Tools for remote scanning. But all these things do -not- enhance performance, they degrade it.

Norton and McAffee are bloated beyond the point of sanity. I never ever ever install those unless a customer is adamant about having them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users