What Antivirus?

68 replies to this topic

#1 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

i have to update or get a new antivirus in a couple days, i have norton 360 but i think they discontinued it and norton internet security has less features. they took features out to sell them seperately in utilities.i have been looking up bitdefender and kaspersky, im reading people have trouble with kaspersky 2015.what do you guys think and use?

#2 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

I use MSE only, and have for years. Never had an issue. And it's free, so...

#3 Onyxjmb

Rookie

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:43 PM

using avast lol, but hey its free also had used commodo for a while and it worked well i think

#4 St0neFire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, US

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:46 PM

don't know who your internet provider is or whether they all do this but Comcast provides Norton Security Suite for free

#5 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:48 PM

Why would you get bloatware?

I haven't used anti-virus in like 15 years.

#6 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

Norton's and McFappy are the WORST supposed anti-virus programs on the planet.

They come FREE with all new computers, SO they are the most HACKED and worthless POS wanna be anti-virus programs in the known Universe.

There are so many Computers with 30 and 60 day free trial versions of Norton's and McFappy on them that they make the BEST target.

Seriously, going to a witch doctor to put a spell on your Computer is WAY better then Norton's or McFappy.

90% of my business (in virus removal) are Computers running Full or Trial versions of Norton's or McFappy. Avoid those two programs at all costs, they are in the same class as Pig Feces.

Edited by Odins Fist, 09 February 2015 - 04:56 PM.

#7 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

i can get mcafee free from my isp. just seeing what people recommend.

#8 St0neFire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, US

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

You provide rhetoric on why not to use certain product for a problem but provide no solution, typical of a Clanner ... JK <---- please note the sarcasm ... I just offered something that is available and no matter what anybody says you should not go without protection ... some people are lucky and it also depends on the computer use ... if you have sole control over your computer and are really careful about what you do and download, surf, etc ... yes you can get by with minimal protection, but if you have a computer that is used by a lot of people kids , etc then sometimes it really does help to have a 1st line defense no matter how lacking some people believe it is ... so instead of knocking down what is available , offer a solution that maybe is considered best ...

#9 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostStoneFeyer, on 09 February 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

You provide rhetoric on why not to use certain product for a problem but provide no solution, typical of a Clanner ...

I'm doing the OP more of a FAVOR just by telling him to Avoid Norton's and McFappy then ANY of the other posts that have been put up currently, and i'm not kidding about that.

ALSO: Not a Clanner Slick, it's called a 7 day contract.

EDIT: Quick question, have you run a business in Computer Repair etc, etc, etc, since 2007-08..??

If he wants free, he can download AVG 2015 and one of the other free Anti-Spyware/Maleware programs, or Avast and the same combo.

There are several free Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware/Spyware out there that will do the job just fine when used together.

Paying for Anti-Virus programs is not needed, I haven't for YEARS, a combo of free programs will do the trick, that and not going to hanky sites and torrenting.

Edited by Odins Fist, 09 February 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#10 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

Don't ever go with the "free" antivirus software that comes with your PC. Those are always the first and easy to be hacked.

#11 St0neFire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, US

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:13 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 09 February 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

ALSO: Not a Clanner Slick, it's called a 7 day contract.

My appology's ... SLICK

#12 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

View PostStoneFeyer, on 09 February 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

My appology's ... SLICK

No Problem ... SPORT

#13 St0neFire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, US

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 09 February 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

EDIT: Quick question, have you run a business in Computer Repair etc, etc, etc, since 2007-08..??

No, but I have worked as a Software Developer and SQA Engineer for the last 30 years , so if you are asking if i know computers well, yes ...

#14 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostStoneFeyer, on 09 February 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

No, but I have worked as a Software Developer and SQA Engineer for the last 30 years , so if you are asking if i know computers well, yes ...

Well isn't that Fancy.

Hey what do YOU think about Norton's and McFappy..??

#15 theborgeffect

• Pip
  • Stone Cold
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

I use Sophos RTM , but I am a reseller so it is free for me.

AVG free use to be real good. It has went down hill. I tend to swear by Kirpersky. Download the AVG live CD dos version on of the most power full recovery virus scanner on the market. If your network supports DHCP it goes online and downloads the latest definitions into memory. It actually detected and fix registry entries a virus placed on a customers computer.

Edited by theborgeffect, 09 February 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#16 MercJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

View PostStoneFeyer, on 09 February 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

My appology's ... SLICK

View PostOdins Fist, on 09 February 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

No Problem ... SPORT

I'm not your buddy, GUY :D (not sure how that goes...anyway) - yeah, vote for MSE - and I set exceptions for MWO, otherwise the launcher/patching process takes FOREVER.

#17 St0neFire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, US

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:36 PM

Doesn't matter, i gave him a no cost suggestion, should he buy it, probably not, Should he use something that is offered for free that affords some protection (not pc freebies but full products from say, an ISP, yes, until a better solution is available ), should he not use any antivirus, definitely not ... I use Symantec Endpoint protection which is a corporate solution that costs more so i didn't want to suggest that ... That is my opinion, Obviously you think you have the best opinion so fine, that's great, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about who knows better ... thank's , enjoy the game

#18 theborgeffect

• Pip
  • Stone Cold
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

Stone does that work like the older Norton corporate Editions ?

#19 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:01 PM

Malwarebytes (Free) & CCleaner, that's all I Use, Family uses Norton though as much as I hate it. hopefully they'll go for something else when it expires.

#20 St0neFire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, US

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

View Posttheborgeffect, on 09 February 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Stone does that work like the older Norton corporate Editions ?

I would say yes, if you mean it is not bloat ware and unobtrusive (it might use 1% cpu on a i7-860 when it is most active but th e norm is .3 % or less), it basically sits in the background monitoring file activity and network activity and the most obtrusive it gets is occasional bubble messages in the task bar when network traffic is blocked, etc .... it will pop up a dialog if it detects something malicious to notify you that it was quarantined but is very configurable on how much you want it to let you know, updates are automatic and quiet etc .... not the greatest for malware but i use Malwarebytes for that ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users