24 replies to this topic

#1 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

Cataphract lose 78 CT armor as easy as it would have 40-50. Is it known feature?

#2 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

So you would rather loose that ballistics hardpoint in your RT?

#3 Azure Kit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

I don't pilot Cataphracts but here's the hitboxes for it. It has a fairly large CT box.
Posted Image

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

twist harder, phract is a really twistfriendly mech, or try a nova and come again talking about what no armor means.

Edited by Lily from animove, 11 February 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#5 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:01 AM

If you are loosing armor fast it is because you are engaging the enemy to soon by yourself.

Do not be the only target the enemy can see, you will die quickly no matter the mech.

#6 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:01 AM

Phracts got shorted on structure quirks compared to some other heavies. And the the 3D variant has none at all.

#7 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

No, you're just not torso twisting well enough. Its arms don't block incoming damage well either, so it can be challenging to keep the Cataphract alive under fire, particularly if you're getting into staring contests with the Adjective Animals.

Any 'mech will die quickly if you get into a staring contest with multiple enemy 'mechs, but some 'mechs are better able to spread damage than others. As someone above pointed out, the Cataphract's CT boxes are fairly large - which allows it to support an XL engine more easily, but also makes it feel more fragile.

#8 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 11 February 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

Phracts got shorted on structure quirks compared to some other heavies. And the the 3D variant has none at all.

That is because they are the best IS Heavy.

#9 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:29 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 11 February 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

That is because they are the best IS Heavy.

Maybe pre-quirk. Now they are 3rd at best, behind the Thunderbolt and Dragon-1N.

#10 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 11 February 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

Maybe pre-quirk. Now they are 3rd at best, behind the Thunderbolt and Dragon-1N.

No they are still better. Gimmick builds will always be that,,,a gimmick.

#11 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

Disagree. A Thunderwub or Lightningbolt will beat a Cataphract more often than not, discounting pilot skill.

#12 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostVlad Striker, on 11 February 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:

Cataphract lose 78 CT armor as easy as it would have 40-50. Is it known feature?

Even if tips like torsotwist are right,
I have exact the same problem with my CTFs! It feels more like 30 armorpoints than max!. And that seems to be an on/off bug.
sometimes i can tank like a rockstar and walk directly into 2 timbers and a Maddog and take one with me, and then there are situations like today: i was respawning with a fresh 2X, walking into the CW-battle, got a glancing ERLaser from 800m away-> CT turns orange!?! A lone, one-armed stormcrow was on my way, he shot at me wildly, while he was retreating->boom CT armor gone and internals deep-orange...
I had this situation more than once in the last weeks. And its not only in my CTFs. happens in assaults too.

#13 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

It's just a big mech with BIG hitboxes for everything. So yeah It's going to get hammered.

#14 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

View PostMike McSullivan, on 11 February 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

Even if tips like torsotwist are right,
I have exact the same problem with my CTFs! It feels more like 30 armorpoints than max!. And that seems to be an on/off bug.
sometimes i can tank like a rockstar and walk directly into 2 timbers and a Maddog and take one with me, and then there are situations like today: i was respawning with a fresh 2X, walking into the CW-battle, got a glancing ERLaser from 800m away-> CT turns orange!?! A lone, one-armed stormcrow was on my way, he shot at me wildly, while he was retreating->boom CT armor gone and internals deep-orange...
I had this situation more than once in the last weeks. And its not only in my CTFs. happens in assaults too.

People I play with are also complaining about this. I have only ever experienced this one myself.

It could be of two things:

The game has some kind of rare damage multiplier bug where a small laser does 40 points of damage or something along those lines.

You were hit by a dual guess sniper at the same time that you didnt see at the same time and didnt realise.

Games are not perfect, net can go haywire, people could be using hacks, game bugs etc - but 99% of the time its something completely within normal game parameters that you just didnt realise happened.

#15 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:38 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 11 February 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

No they are still better. Gimmick builds will always be that,,,a gimmick.

Yeah, no.

Do you play CW at all? Good teams are STACKED with TDRs and some Dragons. MAYBE 1 CTF-3D (but not even every time). There is a reason for that, and it isn't that it is 5 tons heavier.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 11 February 2015 - 11:39 PM.

#16 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:43 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 11 February 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

Yeah, no.

Do you play CW at all? Good teams are STACKED with TDRs and some Dragons. MAYBE 1 CTF-3D (but not even every time). There is a reason for that, and it isn't that it is 5 tons heavier.

Yeah Cataphracs are terrible at the moment. I'd take any of the other heavies over it.

#17 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:56 AM

View PostBUDFORCE, on 11 February 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

People I play with are also complaining about this. I have only ever experienced this one myself.

It could be of two things:

The game has some kind of rare damage multiplier bug where a small laser does 40 points of damage or something along those lines.

You were hit by a dual guess sniper at the same time that you didnt see at the same time and didnt realise.

Games are not perfect, net can go haywire, people could be using hacks, game bugs etc - but 99% of the time its something completely within normal game parameters that you just didnt realise happened.

yes, thats what i want to think too :) but esp. in the situation i desribed, definitely no Gauss-sniper was near. :unsure:

my explanation #2 is simple. ping hickups. like, i just dont see a complete volley. Or single weaponhits (esp Gauss, ERPPC) are not displayed visually. i dont want to blame anyone for hacking, though. but still, its weird sometimes.

#18 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:09 AM

View PostMike McSullivan, on 11 February 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

... got a glancing ERLaser from 800m away-> CT turns orange!?!
Often times with hardpoints that are clustered together on a mech, you can't tell how many lasers there are. The Hellbringer and Thunderbolt for instance can mount 4x ERLL but when they alpha, it visually only looks like 2x ERLL so it hurts a lot more than you expected.

A lone, one-armed stormcrow was on my way, he shot at me wildly, while he was retreating->boom CT armor gone and internals deep-orange...
A one-armed Stormcrow can still be carrying five energy weapons, which could be something nasty like LPL + 4ML, which is nearly 40 damage if they can hold it steady.

#19 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:31 AM

Haven't played my IM in quite a while, nor have I played the 3D I won a couple weeks ago. So my comments are based off previous experience, pre-quirk.

The CTF has long been considered a Glass Cannon. It has never tanked well, even pre-quirk. As WARKAHN says above, it's a big mech with big hit boxes. It's squat and low to the ground. If you're used to hill humping (using horizontal cover) you have to expose so much of the mech because of those low slung arms. It's going to get hammered hard.

The CTF needs to engage on level or slightly lower ground than the enemy force. It's a good ambush mech with great firepower potential from a good mix of energy and ballistic hard points. But a tank it's not.

#20 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 11 February 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

Yeah, no.

Dont play that garbage!

I've been wasting those gimmick builds for weeks now!! Gimmicks will always be gimmicks!

Edited by mogs01gt, 12 February 2015 - 09:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users