16 replies to this topic

#1 The Red Priest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

So I just bought my first Thunderbolt. I got the 5SS variant, and I am LOVING it. It's a pretty good mech.

#2 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:49 PM

View Postmrripley9, on 11 February 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

So I just bought my first Thunderbolt. I got the 5SS variant, and I am LOVING it. It's a pretty good mech.

Not really? It's a bad mech that has insanely good perks. That said, I own one too.

#3 The Red Priest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

Well, with the quirks, it makes it a good mech!

#4 Conreg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

You'll be making clanners cry in no time! Pick up the 9S and own with PPCs.

#5 Sewman

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:55 PM

Got the mpulse cooldown module yet? I still find it awesome that IS mpulse lasers don't have ghost heat. 42 point alpha!

I got the 9S and the SE to master the chassis. 9S, the best erppc mech if you've got a steady hand and some good anticipation. I'm still getting used to the cockpit being on the left side of the mech so I'm always over exposing my right torso when sniping.

The SE - I've tried quite a few builds but I still can't seem to make it work. I've had some great games with XL engines, JJ's, 3mpulse and 2 lpulse but it definitely is the weakest of the three variants. (or should I say, it's the one variant that probably isn't OP right now)

Edited by Sewman, 12 February 2015 - 12:03 AM.

#6 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:24 AM

I have no quarrel with any thunderbolt variant besides the 9S.

Rather that be the 5S, 5SS, 9SE. Or the likely hood of what ever the Thunderbolt 1C, 5Sb, 5Sd, 5SE, and 7M. (If quirks are based on performance and stock load out)

The only problem is the 9S.
Rather that be Thunderbolt 9S > Adder (Puma), Summoner (Thor), Timberwolf (Mad Cat), Warhwak (Massakari), or Direwolf (Daishi)
Rather that be the fact it's Thunderbolt 9S > Awesome , Banshee, OR Katapult.

Nothing more then humble logics. However the thing I love more then the poor reasoning in Pro Thunderbolt 9S forumers is the fact they catagorise all people against it as a "Filthy Clanner" even though quite a large part of IS players and people who are un-loyal to either faction also agree on it.

It's like saying that everyone who hates [Insert certain WWII german politician here] is automatically an "Allied" person, USA, UK, NZ, Aussie, etc. However quite a few jerries disliked him as well.

Getting off topic here I'm afraid.

I personally think the 5SS would need a viarity of quirks then a solid med pulse. Maybe for med pulse and med las?
I personally didn't have much extent in my 5SS for the med pulse lasers.

All I have is 3 med pulse, 2 med las, 1 ppc, and 1 SRM 6. :)

#7 Nebnezz

Rookie

• The Star
  • The Star
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

The 5SS is my go to mech for pub instafun. It twists quickly to spread damage well, only needs a brief moment of passing to inflict tons of dmg, and can alpha 4 times without hesitating. Think I have an XL300 In mine and always lose an arm or both without fearing much dps loss. 352 mpl range with modules outranges my Jenner-F and needs less face time. 5SS quickly outpaced my 9S as my favorite TBolt in anything except Cw, and I usually bring it along too.

Edited by Nebnezz, 14 February 2015 - 05:34 PM.

#8 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thunderwub. It's mean, cool efficient, and with armor quirks, it's sure to be a beast. I have one in my mechbay, mastered. It absolutely tears up competition at good speeds. The only other good mech like it is the Grid Iron, and it's beautiful Gauss quirks :)

#9 The Red Priest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

One thing I am saddened is the fact that they nerfed the 9s. Not for pug matches, et cetera., but it's kind of needed for Community Warfare, and with it completely restricted to a sniper role, things will change, and we won't have that advantage anymore.

Edited by mrripley9, 14 February 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#10 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

Just a sidenote...the quirks allow it to be armed with weapons that will outrange any other in the game except gauss rifles. i.e. erLL's. You don't even need the range modules to reach farther than any clan energy weapon...

Edited by Sword of Morning, 14 February 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#11 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostSword of Morning, on 14 February 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

Just a sidenote...the quirks allow it to be armed with weapons that will outrange any other in the game except gauss rifles. i.e. erLL's. You don't even need the range modules to reach farther than any clan energy weapon...

Well it has better effective range, but a bug still caps its range at 1500meters or so....

Still my favorite erll sniper thou.

#12 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

Its fun, i enjoy the Thunderwub, but expect incoming nerfs.

PGI is a little heavy handed with such things.

#13 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:28 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 14 February 2015 - 08:35 PM, said:

Its fun, i enjoy the Thunderwub, but expect incoming nerfs.

PGI is a little heavy handed with such things.

It already got nerfed a while back and seeing they just had a new quirk pass and it got skipped i think that it is in a good spot, and most likely will not see another nerf any time soon..

But to the OP:

Try 5 MPL's and add a couple ER-LL's to the right top torso.. Great for that long range hill peaking, stage of early matches, and you really don't loose anything in a heated brawl because as heat is generated you have to drop off how many lasers or how often you are using them anyway.

the trade off for the slightly larger alpha of 7, is more than worth it if you ask me..

#14 Saiphas Cain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

There are a few groups that use 3xERLL exclusively on the 5SS as it out ranges even Clan ERLL's. If you prefer lasers to ERPPC's it's your go to.

#15 Iceolator

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:27 PM

Why everybody is saying it got -50% ER PPC heat? I checked the quirks and found only -25% total heat reduction. Was it fixed? Thanks!

#16 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostMyaff, on 26 February 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

Why everybody is saying it got -50% ER PPC heat? I checked the quirks and found only -25% total heat reduction. Was it fixed? Thanks!

It used to be. They changed that last week.

#17 S204STi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

View PostSewman, on 11 February 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

Got the mpulse cooldown module yet? I still find it awesome that IS mpulse lasers don't have ghost heat. 42 point alpha!

I got the 9S and the SE to master the chassis. 9S, the best erppc mech if you've got a steady hand and some good anticipation. I'm still getting used to the cockpit being on the left side of the mech so I'm always over exposing my right torso when sniping.

The SE - I've tried quite a few builds but I still can't seem to make it work. I've had some great games with XL engines, JJ's, 3mpulse and 2 lpulse but it definitely is the weakest of the three variants. (or should I say, it's the one variant that probably isn't OP right now)

I run the SE with four lpulse and it seems to do well. I see above-average (for me) damage in matches using that mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users