35 replies to this topic

#1 stratagos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

I am Stratagos. I speak for the Pugs.

Well, actually, *no one* speaks for the Pugs. That's both to the benefit and detriment of us Pugs.

First off, YES, I am post whoring today. I cannot tell you how tedious the current meeting is. The fact that I can obviously completely blow off the current bitchfest with no fear of consequence or of missing something important probably says something about the criticality of the current discussion. It doesn't say great things about my professionalism, granted, but this particular fight has been fought over more than Wazan.

So, one of the common elements that people share is that they assume that people in general a) think like them and B) agree with what they believe.

For that reason, for some - not all, but some - people who drop in groups, the mere existence of Pugs... baffles them. They can understand someone who doesn't know the game not 'knowing' better, but other people who deliberately *choose* not to group? It's inconcievable.

So, for those in that subset? Fire away. Even if I don't answer, other Pugs might.

It is to our collective benefit that we understand one another, so we can unite against the true enemy: Harmony Gold.

Or something.

#2 Doc Sav

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

I am also currently quite PUG-ish due to my work schedule. Don't know what else to say, other than HARMONY GOLD OP, GIMME DAT MARAUDER and I will defect to IS. Right up until Stone Rhino launches.

#3 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

Lol... I'm waiting for an AMA on /r/outreachhpg

Edited by Saxie, 12 February 2015 - 05:07 PM.

#4 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

There is no need to ask a pug anything. Everyone pugs. Everyone knows the reasons people don't use coms or join groups. It's not a mystery.

#5 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

View Poststratagos, on 12 February 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

I cannot tell you how tedious the current meeting is. The fact that I can obviously completely blow off the current bitchfest with no fear of consequence or of missing something important probably says something about the criticality of the current discussion. It doesn't say great things about my professionalism, granted, but this particular fight has been fought over more than Wazan.

Ah, the good ol' useless corporate meeting. You have my sympathies sir.

#6 MikeBend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUnderhive

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:29 PM

Ask anything, huh?

Why is my mother in law such a b"#¤%? :)

#7 B 0 0 M E R

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:54 PM

Something that has always bothered me..

Why do they call him Donkey Kong when he's not a Donkey?

Posted Image

See? Not even a bit Donkeyish..

#8 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:04 AM

View Poststratagos, on 12 February 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

I am Stratagos. I speak for the Pugs.

Well, actually, *no one* speaks for the Pugs. That's both to the benefit and detriment of us Pugs.

First off, YES, I am post whoring today. I cannot tell you how tedious the current meeting is. The fact that I can obviously completely blow off the current bitchfest with no fear of consequence or of missing something important probably says something about the criticality of the current discussion. It doesn't say great things about my professionalism, granted, but this particular fight has been fought over more than Wazan.

So, one of the common elements that people share is that they assume that people in general a) think like them and B) agree with what they believe.

For that reason, for some - not all, but some - people who drop in groups, the mere existence of Pugs... baffles them. They can understand someone who doesn't know the game not 'knowing' better, but other people who deliberately *choose* not to group? It's inconcievable.

So, for those in that subset? Fire away. Even if I don't answer, other Pugs might.

It is to our collective benefit that we understand one another, so we can unite against the true enemy: Harmony Gold.

Or something.

So basically you are like Ender, who speaks for the dead...

#9 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:13 AM

IS your meeting over yet?

#10 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:30 AM

Why don't you unite all the pugs under one banner and form a cohesive unit of people who don't give a flying f__ about grouping up, all for the sheer irony of it? And then call it [PUGS]. Oh wait, that's already taken. DANG IT!

But on a serious note... what are you looking for in a group/unit that you are not finding? For you to consider joining a unit instead of pugging, what qualities would that unit have to have?

Edited by Tarogato, 13 February 2015 - 12:32 AM.

#11 stratagos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:13 AM

View PostMikeBend, on 12 February 2015 - 10:29 PM, said:

Ask anything, huh?

Why is my mother in law such a b"#¤%? :)

Well, without knowing the details, it's hard to say. The answers could range from "She's a ***** in general, her mother-in-lawness is irrelevant to that. Just like Pugs pug, bitchy people *****" to "She's not a *****, you don't get along with her because she perceives what a complete and utter loon you are and fears for her daughter's (or son's, this being 2015) safety"

#12 stratagos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:16 AM

View PostJoey Deacon, on 12 February 2015 - 11:54 PM, said:

Something that has always bothered me..

Why do they call him Donkey Kong when he's not a Donkey?

Posted Image

See? Not even a bit Donkeyish..

I thought I knew this answer, but I wanted to verify on the wikis.

And I was wrong. So here's what wikipedia has to say:

"Miyamoto believed "donkey" meant "stupid" in English, and assumed the name Donkey Kong would convey the sense "stupid ape" to an American audience.When he suggested this name to Nintendo of America, he was laughed at, but the name stuck"

Edited by stratagos, 13 February 2015 - 03:19 AM.

#13 stratagos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:21 AM

View PostMycrus, on 13 February 2015 - 12:04 AM, said:

So basically you are like Ender, who speaks for the dead...

I was thinking more of the Lorax. OSC is a tool ;)

View PostThomasMarik, on 13 February 2015 - 12:13 AM, said:

IS your meeting over yet?

That's an... interesting question.

If the question is "did the meeting end", the answer is yes.

If this question is "did the meeting drag on so long a followup session had to be scheduled, so I have to go back next week", the answer is also yes ;)

Edited by stratagos, 13 February 2015 - 03:20 AM.

#14 stratagos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:48 AM

View PostTarogato, on 13 February 2015 - 12:30 AM, said:

Why don't you unite all the pugs under one banner and form a cohesive unit of people who don't give a flying f__ about grouping up, all for the sheer irony of it? And then call it [PUGS]. Oh wait, that's already taken. DANG IT!

But on a serious note... what are you looking for in a group/unit that you are not finding? For you to consider joining a unit instead of pugging, what qualities would that unit have to have?

The answer to #1 is that I spend enough time herding cats at the office. Doing so as entertainment does not strike me as entertaining. Plus it's futile - there are dozens and dozens of different reasons people choose to Pug, some of which include a complete lack of desire to interact with people for longer than the match.

The answer to #2 is a bit more complex, and rests primarily on my personal situation. Because of the aformetioned job, not to mention the whole "raising a child, which requires regularly interacting with said child" thing, there is a very limited window I have during my week when I can play *at all*. This eliminates any opportunity to interact with the units that are competitive-focused, and meant I might never even *see* my comrades in a smaller unit. Even when I can play, I usually wouldn't be in a position to use Teamspeak - I could *listen*, but I couldn't speak without disturbing my family.

Joining a unit offers opportunities, but also has *limitations*. I no longer can just hop to whatever faction I want as the whim takes me to grind out my mechbays, for example.

I no longer just represent me, but also I would represent my unit when I get snarky on the forums. That is something I would take seriously, and just for the same reason I keep a hard firewall between my work and personal life to avoid being seen as a representative of my employer when I, say, tell an antivaxxer they're a freaking embarrassment to humanity, I would have to think twice about how what I was saying would be *reflecting on my unit-mates*

That's not to say that there isn't a unit I would feel comfortable joining, but given how little opportunity I have to play recently, the mutual vetting process is lengthy. I know there are specific units I would not be a fit with, either because of *what I perceive* the unit culture is (rightly or wrongly), or because of other requirements the unit has that I simply can't meet - or to be specific, there are requirements I *could* meet, but I don't 'care' enough about MWO to make those things a priority. I don't need a third job - being a parent and the one with the paycheck are enough, thanks,

#15 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:40 AM

As long as you're with us, the FRR Hub is always open if ever you want to try an organised drop. I can't remember if you're actually one of the regulars or not, but it can't hurt to mention it anyways. Sometimes you can pop online for only 40 minutes and still be able to participate in a 12-man CW drop so long as one is actively running. You don't have to join any of the units or deal with any commitments to play with us - just stop by and see what's going on.

#16 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:45 AM

is it true that pugs eat small helpless children and their mechs run off sadness and frustration instead of reactors?
(also in a meeting)

Edited by Geist Null, 13 February 2015 - 04:46 AM.

#17 stratagos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:08 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 13 February 2015 - 04:45 AM, said:

is it true that pugs eat small helpless children and their mechs run off sadness and frustration instead of reactors?
(also in a meeting)

Don't be ridiculous, we have fusion engines, just like everyone else.

We get our *reactor mass* from sadness and tears

View PostTarogato, on 13 February 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

As long as you're with us, the FRR Hub is always open if ever you want to try an organised drop. I can't remember if you're actually one of the regulars or not, but it can't hurt to mention it anyways. Sometimes you can pop online for only 40 minutes and still be able to participate in a 12-man CW drop so long as one is actively running. You don't have to join any of the units or deal with any commitments to play with us - just stop by and see what's going on.

Appreciate that, but I think I'm grinding Steiner this weekend

#18 stratagos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:35 AM

As for the eating of children:

Posted Image

#19 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:49 AM

Please can you provide a list of top10 snack and beverages that are considered the most popular and beneficial to pugging?

#20 stratagos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostNoesis, on 13 February 2015 - 05:49 AM, said:

Please can you provide a list of top10 snack and beverages that are considered the most popular and beneficial to pugging?

1 - The aforementioned jelly babies. Because we apparently eat children, or something
2 - Flour tortillas. They can double as tissue to wipe away the tears if needed
3 - Beer. Drink enough, and you don't care that you're getting rolled
4- Huge bags of trail mix with only a bit left in the bottom. You can use the excuse you were rooting around as a reason you took your hand off the keyboard and ran into the lava on Mordor
5 - Cheetos. Tradition
6 - Mountain Dew. See #5
7 - Popcorn. For when you're dead and you can feel better about yourself by watching the horrible players on your team who are still left. The 'horrible' players who lived longer than you, it should be noted, which doesn't say great things about your own skill
8 - Potato chips. For when you finally get a chance to use Teamspeak, and want to ensure no one can understand a damn thing you are saying
9 - 2 liter bottles of soda, which you can empty and leave near you for those moments when you really don't want to go all the way to the toilet
10 - Garlic mashed potatoes, grilled steaks, a salad, some fruit, and a fine wine. For when you want to get away from your 'entertainment' and actually interact with people who aren't calling you a n00b for not blindly following their plan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users