Jagermechs

59 replies to this topic

#1 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

is it basically a reguirement to run XL's in jagermechs in order to get them to their full firepower potential and still be ableto mount some armor and ammo?

I'm really struggling to come up with good standard engine builds...

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:16 AM

Basically. You can run STD engines and be reasonably tough, but you sacrifice a lot of firepower to do that.

You can use something like this: JM6-S which isn't a pushover, but isn't extremely frightening either. Or JM6-S. Basically, if you roll standard engine in a JM6, you're going to be running 2 ballistics (excluding machine guns). There's a lot of more oddball build options too, of course - I don't claim these are the best std builds, just fairly obvious usable ones.

The upside is that people see JM6's and assume XL's. I know I've been killed by a couple in the past simply because I'd assumed they had XL's and tore off a side torso expecting that to kill them. Oops.

#3 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

I think longer range builds XL's are safer, LRM's/Dual gauss. Also if you can output a huge amount of dakka damage XL's can be ok. So think either AC40 jager playing peek-a-boo, or 2AC5/2AC2 jager (or 5AC2 jager!) putting a constant barrage of screenshake/smoke/sparks on an enemy to help mess up their return fire.

Anything short of those try to stick to standards. If you have a firebrand, Std300+ 2LL/4ML or a STD 280 + 2LPL/2ML both are really good builds.

#4 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:20 PM

I've found that in my Locust rampages, when I come across enemy Jagers, I immediately try to take out either...
  • Their legs if they're running ACs
Don't skimp on leg armour if you can help it.
  • Their backs if I can get to them.
If they run a STD, they aren't agile enough to cope with me when I get behind them.
If they run an XL, they stand a chance at turning around in time and dispatching me.
  • Their side torsos if I can't get behind them.
If they run an XL, they're dead, but they might be able to spread the damage with a fast twist.
If they run a STD, they're slow, so I can hover around the side that I blew off and they can't bring their remaining gun to bear.

Basically, if you take a STD, you better stick with the assaults and keep a light hunter nearby. If you take an XL, you stand a chance at actually defending yourself properly at the expense of the high associated risk.

#5 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:10 AM

View PostTarogato, on 16 February 2015 - 11:20 PM, said:

I've found that in my Locust rampages, when I come across enemy Jagers, I immediately try to take out either...
  • Their legs if they're running ACs
Don't skimp on leg armour if you can help it.
  • Their backs if I can get to them.
If they run a STD, they aren't agile enough to cope with me when I get behind them.
If they run an XL, they stand a chance at turning around in time and dispatching me.
  • Their side torsos if I can't get behind them.
If they run an XL, they're dead, but they might be able to spread the damage with a fast twist.
If they run a STD, they're slow, so I can hover around the side that I blew off and they can't bring their remaining gun to bear.

Basically, if you take a STD, you better stick with the assaults and keep a light hunter nearby. If you take an XL, you stand a chance at actually defending yourself properly at the expense of the high associated risk.

Well, it doesn't matter if they're running an xl or standard engine, as XL's are no faster. What matters is engine rating. If you're running a 250+ engine (most people, regardless of XL/STD) you'll have no trouble tracking lights.

#6 Mad Cow Jenkins

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:26 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 17 February 2015 - 03:10 AM, said:

Well, it doesn't matter if they're running an xl or standard engine, as XL's are no faster. What matters is engine rating. If you're running a 250+ engine (most people, regardless of XL/STD) you'll have no trouble tracking lights.

I think he implicit refering to that JM with XL engines have higher rating, which i would say is true for mine most are 280+ with xl and 245 - 260 with std. Its also relevant to differentiate locust from other lights, they are a bit more nimble so i am not 100% sure a JM that is taking a bit of fire or is standing in some poor terrain will fare well against one of those little punks.

#7 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:41 AM

For a STD engine Jager this is good But there is rather a big catch it's a late game crit seeker and so is heavilly dependant on your team early on.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a93b266fb119a87

If your lucky enough to survive to a short range firefight you just hold that alpha strike button down and lay into the nearest exposed heavily damaged mech you will find you take chunks out of them pretty quickly. If you prefer you can swap out the MPL for LPL and sacrifice some heatsinks but i don't find it heat efficient enough for sustained DPS. Plus it's relatively cheap.

Edited by mad kat, 17 February 2015 - 04:42 AM.

#8 BSK

• Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:53 AM

I have an Arrow-like Jägermech brawler with 2 large pulse lasers and 6 machine guns that runs on a standard engine. Bodyguard the LRM-boats against lights until you become a godlike finisher in endgame ..

#9 Theron Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:21 AM

I run Jagermechs the most both in CW and regular drop and have come up with my favorite build so far. I use the 2x S and DD and I run a STD engine with 1 x Ac20 (45rnds) /2 or 3 MG's/ 2 x LL or 2 x ERLL. I also use the Ac20 module for range and the LL Cool down module and have had great success with it. This build has decent long range and great close range without overheating. I usually kill 2 to 3 mechs with each Jager and average 1200 to 1500 points or more against the clans which to me is good.

#10 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:45 AM

Bought my first Jager recently, the DD when on sale, while I Basic'd it I cannot stand it either.

XLs got me dead quicker.
STD is tougher but the DD cannot carry much.

6MG & 2 LL/LPL is only good at range early then moving in later in the match but you have to know timing based on how the match goes.

Only other build that worked is 2 UAC & 2 ML but it is slow. Cannot run 3+ UAC without XL.

#11 EpicWarrior202

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

You can run 3xAC5 and 4xML on a std engine S.

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:53 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 17 February 2015 - 03:10 AM, said:

XL = lighter = more room for a higher rating. ;)

#13 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:26 AM

View PostTarogato, on 17 February 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

XL = lighter = more room for a higher rating. ;)
yeah, but that's not a given, because lighter=more room for more guns. The problem with standard engine jags isn't that they are slow, its that they're woefully under gunned. Rarely do people take larger engines with XL's in them, because Jags excel by using heavy ballistics. Heavy ballistics in a 65t chassis basically require an XL. Also, the speed difference between a 300 rated engine and say a 255 isn't that huge... But the tonnage difference is.

#14 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

Too bad XLs get your Jags killed faster.

#15 Gunslinger76

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

I'm a big fan of putting XLs in my Jagers. It does make them more fragile, but theyre not really a "tanking" mech and I find it better to take advantage of their firepower. I run my Firebrand with 2xAC20 and its a monster. My DD has 2xAC10 and 4xMG and its honestly a blast and can gut most mechs quickly. FInally, I run the S with 2xAC5 and 2xAC2. WIth the new quirks and models you can unleash a lot of damage from a support position.

#16 Sewman

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

I've had a bit of experience with Jagers. I have the Firebrand, S and DD. I've tried putting STD engines in there and sure, you do live a bit longer but I think that the strengths of this mech are in good firepower and high mounted weapons.

When you begin to think about STD engines and 'brawly' set ups then you're starting to venture into territory where other mechs will outshine you, other mechs that are better suited to brawling with STD engines like Hunchbacks,Thunderbolts, Cataphracts.

I've had all of my highest damage games in a Jager with XL engines and learning to stick a bit closer to the group, or at least being very aware of good cover to use to your advantage. Note: if you are thinking about building your Jager for CW then things change. In CW I would indeed recommend a STD engine and a long range build because you can still do a sh!t ton of damage if you're patient enough.

Advanced seismic module helps when you're near the back of the pack being tracked by a light. Watching your minimap like a hawk also helps :). I have light and medium mechs that can get out of hot situations but the Jager is one of the least forgiving when you lose sight of your assaults.

#17 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:48 PM

My firebrand is presently running the rifleman build of 2xll, 2x ac5 and 2xml does alright even if the alpha figure is a bit underwhelming but then I've built it for cw. Either that or I'll swap it for ac20, ac10 and a erll.

My jm6 is running a std engine now with 4xerll and 4xmg.

#18 Bruce13F4O

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIN OKLAHOMA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:51 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5878a0d333aeb21

#19 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 19 February 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

Too bad XLs get your Jags killed faster.

The JM6 is a glass cannon. Embrace it or find another chassis. At 65T, if you want to be tough...you want a Thud, not a Jager.

#20 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

I've run Jags for 2 years and I've never used an XL in them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users