8 replies to this topic

#1 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

Howdy all,

I've just gotten back into MWO after not playing since I purchased early access many moons ago. I am really excited for CW and dropping with a group of friends that I have. However, I've got some questions.

In CW, in order to fit in the same lance and ensure that all members get in the same drop, must you have a faction unit with tag? I know in normal games you only need to make a public group.

Furthermore, for a faction unit, I read that it is disallowed to choose units that exist in battletech canon. Is this accurate? If a faction unit is necessary to play with my group in CW, I would like to have some sort of "realistic" sort of unit, or merc company.

Thanks in advance boys, I'm trying to rustle up more pilots erry' day.

#2 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

You do not need a unit tag to group, make a faction group, invite your friends into it and you will all stay together in drops.
CW has a higher learning curve then public matches, it is better to team up with CW veterans and get advice and knowledge before dropping.

Try the FRRHUB.tk:9725 pw Dragon teamspeak and group with other FRR players. There are also several other TS's, check this forum for their links.

You can not have the exact same name as a canon unit, check this http://mwomercs.com/...stration-rules/ for the naming rules, ignore the first part of the post about preregistering, scroll down to the unit naming rules.

#3 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

You can just group up with your buddies in CW as you do in the public que, the only difference is that you need to open up a faction group. While in a public group you can invite players of all factions, in the faction group you can only invite players of your own faction.

When naming your unit you can go for some "realistic" name and even a name based on the lore, but you cant take names like Kell Hounds, Wolfs Dragoons or Grey Death Legion, those and other "famous" lore units are off limits. Apart from that you can basically pick any name you want.

Also make sure that you guys drop by on the FRR Hub TS3 server:
frrhub.tk:9725
password: Dragon

#4 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:59 PM

Thanks boys, good information. Of course my intention wasn't to run up in here and say "hi guys we r new and r called wolfs dragoons :PPP". I was hoping that there exited some sort of rag-tag militia unit like there is in the FWL. If anyone could point out a unit (looked on Sarna, but the FRR seems to lack very many organized units) that is of dubious quality and experience, that'd be great. That would be the unit I'd pick for us, since the highest experience level among us is me, and my experience mostly lies in MW4.

If I'm playing by myself, I'll see if I can hang out in the FRR TS and tag along with a group. If I've got my boys, we'll probably unfortunately only use our own TS server. We've known eachother for many years and I guess some of us are a bit tied to the TS and loathe to leave it.

Again, I really appreciate the prompt help.

#5 starwolf1991

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNo Data Available

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

Glad to see more signing up for the FRR in these dire times. We can use any assistance we get. Drops are usually organized for the community warfare front within the FRR Hub, as well as random drops during downtime. If you guys are looking to drop with some big groups and help make a difference on the frontlines, or want to hang out, do seek us out on the Hub. Someone is usually always around. ;)

#6 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:57 PM

View Poststarwolf1991, on 15 February 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

Glad to see more signing up for the FRR in these dire times. We can use any assistance we get. Drops are usually organized for the community warfare front within the FRR Hub, as well as random drops during downtime. If you guys are looking to drop with some big groups and help make a difference on the frontlines, or want to hang out, do seek us out on the Hub. Someone is usually always around. ;)

Will do. I see that you're in an Oceanic unit, so you're probably a Kiwi or 'Strayan. Oftentimes I'll play (and a few of my boys as well) at very late times for US. We're all in North America, but it isn't uncommon for us to play with a semi-large group at 3-5am EST. Hopefully we'll be able to fill a nice niche.

I was really hoping to be part of House Marik when I first got early alpha access, but when I came back a few days ago and saw how CW looked, FRR seemed to be the "hard mode", surrounded by filthy test-tubers and such.

And how doesn't dig some space vikings, anyway?

#7 starwolf1991

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNo Data Available

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

View PostSandersson Jankins, on 15 February 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

Will do. I see that you're in an Oceanic unit, so you're probably a Kiwi or 'Strayan. Oftentimes I'll play (and a few of my boys as well) at very late times for US. We're all in North America, but it isn't uncommon for us to play with a semi-large group at 3-5am EST. Hopefully we'll be able to fill a nice niche.

I was really hoping to be part of House Marik when I first got early alpha access, but when I came back a few days ago and saw how CW looked, FRR seemed to be the "hard mode", surrounded by filthy test-tubers and such.

And how doesn't dig some space vikings, anyway?

'Strayan all the way, every day. And I know, right? Space vikings! All the mead, giant legs of ham, battleaxes and fog horns you could ever want are here. It is always good business to be going Viking against the Clans. :)

#8 Ivaneus

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

Although it has no basis in canon, the Iron Serpents are the perfect example of "rag tag band" for the FRR. They have a recruitment thread under Kungsarme recruitment and plenty of other units are there too.

If you do want to create your own unit that's fine and there's nothing wrong with that. But I would suggest you check the existing unit recruitment threads to see if something already exists that would be a good fit for you.

Edited by Ivaneus, 15 February 2015 - 09:41 PM.

#9 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:50 AM

View PostSandersson Jankins, on 15 February 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

Oh it IS the hard mode, I can assure you that. But while it doesn't look like that, we are actually one of the better organized factions. We have the FRR hub in place for quite a while now and almost every FRR unit has at least some players that go there regularly for some matches and trashtalk, and coordination of course.
If you want to get into CW its the best place to start, there are organized CW drops almost every day and its a good place to learn what is what. The learning curve of CW is pretty harsh, but once you got the hang of it the games are much more rewarding than in the the public cue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users