47 replies to this topic

#1 Karpi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts
  • LocationSantiago, Chile

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:13 AM

Hey guys. About a week ago, I started getting the HUD glitch. I thought it would go away once I restarted the game, but to my surprise it didnt. Restarted the computer and it wouldnt go. It started getting worse and worse. I get lines across the screen and polygons everywhere. Screenshots dont do it justice, it just doesnt capture it. To make matters worse, it happens on firefox and internet explorer aswell (not on CHROME though). Not only that, its happening on 3dS Max as well. So im curious, does this have to do with my vid card, a virus, some driver or update I installed? Please I need help!

I have an amd fx8320 at 4,1 ghz
16gb Ram
gtx 560 ti 2 gb
ssd240
1 Tb hdd
500 gb hdd
Asus motherboard
Windows 7

Posted Image

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:42 AM

you gpu may go broken soon, anyways, what yu cna do is unduust your pc and gpu maybe.
you can try some driver updates, but mostly this is what you seee at the end of a videocards lifetime.

#3 Karpi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:13 AM

what doesnt make sense is that it only happens on some programs. Everything is up to date. Seems like I'll have to buy a new card sooner than I thought

#4 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, I tend to agree that your video card is dying.

#5 Johnny Rico

• PipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

I would say the gpu is on its last leg, buy a can of duster and clean as much as possible, see if you can make it to summer when amds new 300 series comes out, if not a asus gtx 970 is 340 dollars and is a beast of a card( however you need some legos to prop up the backside of the card to prevent sag) and the gtx 960 is around 220 dollars.

#6 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

It's not overheating, because overheating enough to do that in a browser would mean a game would just insta-lock the machine the moment any 3D image was displayed.

I think the GPU is just borked. I don't think it's drivers; I think the video card is just broken. Why is it happening on certain programs? It probably either happens when certain functions are being called for the GPU, or when the GPU is sufficiently utilized that the bad hardware shows up. AERO isn't enough to cause problems from the sound of it... yet, but your browser probably makes generous use of hardware accelerated flash as is the norm, and obviously 3DS Max puts at least some minimal strain on the GPU.

I would go dig through the bargain basement market and seek a replacement, unless you're thinking this is a good excuse for a brand new replacement. The latter isn't a bad idea either, budgets provided, because that 8350 can handle being paired with a lot more GPU than a 560 TI, but if the money/will just isn't there, you can get something equivalent to what you have scavenging Ebay/Amazon for probably around $70-$80.

Now, I certainly do recommend wiping off drivers and reinstalling, and checking temps if you're not chomping at the bit to use this as an upgrade opportunity. If you really wanted to get desperate, you could even take off and nuke it from orbit reinstall the OS from scratch, only way to be sure. Do I personally think you'll get anywhere? No. It would just be covering your bases.

#7 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:03 AM

It's interesting.. Altho I'm curious.

If it was the GPU then the screen display should be borked at least in my case it always was the entire screen.

The task bar and address bar, scroll bar are all unaffected.
And why is chrome unaffected at all.

I personally would try all other aspects. Reinstall try the gpu in another machine etc etc

Before reaching for the credit card

Edited by DV McKenna, 16 February 2015 - 10:04 AM.

#8 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:12 AM

The first video card I put in my HTPC I tried to run passively by unplugging it's fan: This introduced corruption into some programs display.

Changing the card, drivers, et al, never fixed it; Not until it's SSD died, and I had to reinstall everything, did the problem stop.

#9 Karpi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

gonna try a fresh install of the drivers, see if that helps. Playing MWO gives me headaches. As I said, its gotten worse thru time. Don't know if it matters, but I used to run a second monitor, until about five months ago, it just went green. It had to do with the card since I tried with diferent cables and monitors, and the second DVI output was giving me the problems.

#10 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostKarpi, on 16 February 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

Don't know if it matters, but I used to run a second monitor, until about five months ago, it just went green. It had to do with the card since I tried with diferent cables and monitors, and the second DVI output was giving me the problems.

That there definitely matters it would point more to the card.

#11 Karpi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:36 AM

Uninstalled all the nvidia drivers. Out of curiosity I oppened Firefox and the problem went away. I then proceded to reinstall all the drivers, problem came back.

#12 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:43 AM

What happens if you install an old driver? one from 2 months ago or something?

#13 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 16 February 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

What happens if you install an old driver? one from 2 months ago or something?

Or the beta drivers.

#14 Karpi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:03 PM

any link for older nvidia drivers?

#15 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

on their website, drivers -> beta and legacy

#16 Karpi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

tried, didnt work, any other sugestions?

#17 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

You could try a Windows system restore to a time before the problem was happening, if possible

#18 Karpi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:04 PM

that was the first thing I thought, only to realise I didnt have it active for some reason (did a fresh install in Dic when I got the FX 8320)

#19 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

View PostKarpi, on 16 February 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

tried, didnt work, any other sugestions?

I guess it's probably the card then. Could try it in another machine to make sure.

#20 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

I think you need to wipe and reinstall the OS, but try cleaning out the old video drivers with DDU first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users