123 replies to this topic

#101 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:07 AM

I see, well then it is by definition in terms of use of the tech.

As omnimech components they were designed in this way to swap out omni-variants for convenience and speed in the field with both swapping out configurations and repairs. (Significant is repairs here as it is easier to replace a whole section than check each component).

I think the idea of "not" being able to swap out modular components is perhaps only a restriction of the game rules themselves as from lore you could effectively swap out the components in a modular fashion if they could be feasibly made to work. And of course trying to change individual components and supporting systems for each individual tech then takes greater time than swapping out a pre-configured pod. But unlike IS tech which had the modular vision in mind Omnimech tech didn't have those complext arrangements so the idea of custom fitting some differences may then not be technically possible: "researchers never improved (or never attempted to improve) arm OmniPod attachment points in order to make large-bore weapon systems compatible with certain arm actuators". Though hardpoints are still selectable. Maybe the occasional fixed weapon system (your example flamer) is then testimony to the idea that certain hardpoints will have limits with changes due the omni design process as a result on certain chassis and are simply limits to the omni tech arrangements.

I guess then this would then limit adaptations but also reduce complexity in the manufacturing. But the Omni arrangements would allow differing configurations to be interchanged but on a more macro scale as we see.

So if anything IS tech designs involve extra complexity with their modular approach but not allowing for changing of the hardpoint arrangements as per the less complicated omnimech way of doing things. Both approaches then have limits over the other.

IS tech then manufacturing one variant with a specific if complex modular adaptability. Clan tech using omnipods, that allow for fast changes on a larger scale which provides for some variance but faster repair and swapping as a result of this macro style of changing whole sections as opposed to lots of individual components.

The answer then I believe is then intrinsic to how omnitech works and that full modular capabilities has not been considered or designed for like IS (non-Omni) mechs and that as a result some full adaptability is then simply not possible since it was not considered or then catered for in the design process. This to allow for the quick interchange of omnipods to be simple and not having a more complex process.

#102 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:07 AM

I think that it could be a mix of reasons.

I am not a TT player unfortunately, but my impression is that some of the fixed items might be for balancing purposes.

The lore could justify them with several reasons: because it is an old design and Omni tech was not perfetioned yet; in some designs like the Summoner equiment was considered fundamental for the design or something like that so they just hardwired them. I am not sure if there are better specific reasons.

#103 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 07 March 2015 - 05:07 AM, said:

The lore could justify them with several reasons: because it is an old design and Omni tech was not perfetioned yet; in some designs like the Summoner equiment was considered fundamental for the design or something like that so they just hardwired them. I am not sure if there are better specific reasons.

I'm guessing this is probably the closest to the right answer from a lore perspective. The first Omni developed, the Coyotl, had no fixed equipment outside of the armor, structure, and engine. So there's no technical reason subsequent Omnis could not be completely void of fixed equipment.

#104 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:20 PM

I always figured it was that, despite being designed to be modular, they were still designed to fit certain roles

IE: the Adder was built for heavy firepower in a small mech.

But if it kept having trouble with infantry - I could very easily see them hardwiring the Flamer into it just so that it would not have that issue again.

#105 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

Or they just decided to mount the exhaust pipe out the nose because the technicians were drunk :lol:

#106 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:55 AM

Omni mechs are like this.

You have a mech that can be outfitted very easily (and repaired quickly) for various missions. (remember IS mechs really do not have hard points they are pretty hard wired, and takes a LOT to modify them).

So you swap out the weapon configurations based on optimal mission parameters. giving you a Ton of flexibility without carrying a lot of different frames with you.

Also Clan warriors do not often get to change their load outs past what is considered a normal variant. In "A Time of War" you would have to have like custom mech 6 or 7 on 700 points invested to swap out the pods past what is considered normal.

your khan / so knows what is needed on the mission, you are to execute it with the mech provided based on mission parameters.

Thats pretty much why Omni mechs are the way they are. IS is way more hard wired than a omni mech could ever be... just people like building their mechs the way they want to :) (even though lore wise they should not be able to)

Edited by reign, 09 March 2015 - 10:57 AM.

#107 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

View Postreddevil, on 09 March 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Or they just decided to mount the exhaust pipe out the nose because the technicians were drunk :lol:

So .. *hic* ..... dS = dQ / T for ds >= Oh f**k it .......it goes there *hic*.

#108 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

View PostNoesis, on 09 March 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

So .. *hic* ..... dS = dQ / T for ds >= Oh f**k it .......it goes there *hic*.

LOL

Though in practicality it was designed after wolfs dragoons reported IS capabilities to Clanners. So they probably said. They use a lot of infantry. Lets make sure its protected from infantry by giving it a flamer.

#109 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

I can accept that actually. Good point reign.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 13 June 2015 - 06:05 PM.

#110 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:16 PM

I like the design of mechs, you are basically sitting on top of a fusion engine...when breached can explode, can catch on fire if overheated burning you alive in the cockpit, or if your mech is legged your mech can topple over falling several hundred feet getting killed by the concussion your brain hemorrhaging as blood flows out of your ears and nostrils , or if you eject you can get shot in the air by an enemy mech cutting you in half

Survivability slim to none, violent death more then likely....but people in lore are like "hey sign me up i want to be a mechwarrior" LOL

Edited by Grimwill, 11 March 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#111 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:31 AM

View PostGrimwill, on 11 March 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

I like the design of mechs, you are basically sitting on top of a fusion engine...when breached can explode, can catch on fire if overheated burning you alive in the cockpit, or if your mech is legged your mech can topple over falling several hundred feet getting killed by the concussion your brain hemorrhaging as blood flows out of your ears and nostrils , or if you eject you can get shot in the air by an enemy mech cutting you in half

Survivability slim to none, violent death more then likely....but people in lore are like "hey sign me up i want to be a mechwarrior" LOL

Not to mention that you might be roasted alive by a flamer or, more likely, an Inferno SRM round, be forced to eject on a planet with a toxic atmosphere or killed by a direct hit on your cockpit, ore some other more creative deaths (see Natasha Kerensky).

However, that is not that different from today's fighter pilots, spacemen, etc. but people still sign up! :P

I wished i could be a fighter pilot myself :ph34r:

#112 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

This has been quiet for a while, however i have a new question related to an update to a thread i am currently doing. Is there anywhere a list of the planets and their % owned by the 4 first invading Clans before the invasion (3050ish is fine) ? I can only see later lists and i am not sure if the planets owned by each Clan in the Homeworlds are the same as they were before op. Revival. Who knows if some 2nd line unit issued some Trials of Possession back there? :ph34r:

#113 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

The Clans Warriors of Kerensky will list the worlds all the Clans possess in the Homeworlds. The section is entitled "Clan Space" & begins on Page 101.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 24 April 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#114 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:08 AM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 24 April 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

The Clans Warriors of Kerensky will list the worlds all the Clans possess in the Homeworlds. The section is entitled "Clan Space" & begins on Page 101.

It does indeed, but that list is updated to 3062, as it shows, for example, CGB holding just a small % of Arcadia after their move to the IS. This made me wonder if the list for the other Clans were reliable lists of their holding at the start of the invasion (plus, i need info about CGB and CSJ in that time frame).

#115 Torchfire Katayama

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 114 posts
  • LocationNA

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

Hey Jaroth, I can't find any history to the bloodname "Katayama," I'm looking for the full history of the name, mind sending me anything you can find on it?

#116 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:19 PM

Apologies but it is not a popular bloodline. The only thing I can find so far is that the progenitor was Ludmila Katayama. I will keep looking but do not hold your breath.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 30 May 2015 - 08:19 PM.

#117 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:28 AM

http://ppc.warhawken...bloodnames.html

Katayama (a CNC bloodname) is indeed, not popular

#118 Torchfire Katayama

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 114 posts
  • LocationNA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

I guess that means the honor and history of this bloodname is mine for the making, quaff?

#119 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

Until I actually find something, aff. That is what I did with my backstory.

EDIT: You must have the luck of the Irish Torch. I actually found something. :) Update to follow.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mercenaries Handbook 3055

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 01 June 2015 - 02:41 AM.

#120 Torchfire Katayama

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 114 posts
  • LocationNA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

Many thanks Jaroth, well done :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users