Why Is It Named Voip?

48 replies to this topic

#1 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

I can't believe it's actually called "VOIP".

Do you even know what VOIP means?

Everyone capable of googling will pretty quickly end up here:
http://en.wikipedia....i/Voice_over_IP

It means "Voice over IP", which is meant to distinct communication via internet protocols from traditional telephony.

Using that term in an already all-internet-based architecture is just redundant, non-informative and therefore confusing.

What YOU want to express is "Voice chat" or "Ingame voice communication" or something like that.
Calling that "VOIP" is like saying "We are using cables". Of COURSE we are using cables to transmit the signals. And of COURSE we are using the internet protocoll to transmit stuff. That is not a significant description.

Similar to that horrible meta term that is used so ridiculously wrong by the MWO community (and ONLY here afaik).

I don't mean that as an offence, but is the age of Idiocracy, where most people can't think logically anymore, really approaching that fast?
Makes me fear the future.

What's next?
Calling keyboards "clickies" and monitors "lookwindow"?
Makes my thinky ouchy, seroli...serioll...serusly

#2 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

"Words can not change meaning over time!"

#3 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

Cool.

Can you give us the breakdown on 'pedantic' next?

#4 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostPaigan, on 17 February 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

It means "Voice over IP", which is meant to distinct communication via internet protocols from traditional telephony.

Using that term in an already all-internet-based architecture is just redundant, non-informative and therefore confusing.

What YOU want to express is "Voice chat" or "Ingame voice communication" or something like that.
Calling that "VOIP" is like saying "We are using cables". Of COURSE we are using cables to transmit the signals. And of COURSE we are using the internet protocoll to transmit stuff. That is not a significant description.

Similar to that horrible meta term that is used so ridiculously wrong by the MWO community (and ONLY here afaik).

I don't mean that as an offence, but is the age of Idiocracy, where most people can't think logically anymore, really approaching that fast?

What's next?

So you're bitching that it's called what it is? Then implying that it's a dumbed down term? While showing your ignorance about the term "meta" and how widespread it is? Which also shows that you didn't do any research on it before using it.

Perhaps we shouldn't call the Internet the Internet any more? I mean anyone who uses the Web knows it runs on the Internet right? But then anyone who uses the Web knows that it's the Web so we should call it being online? But it is online, so we can't call it online can we?

#5 Dock Steward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 945 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

What's next?

You must think this game is INCREDIBLY PERFECT if this is what you spend your time worrying about...

#6 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

What's next?

Internet is IP based, its speaking over ip protocols, so its VOIP, clear fact in this. Did someone melted you out of a glacier nd you are form the 60s?

so you post even the wiki page where the very firts sentence is a clear one

"Voice over IP (VoIP) is a methodology and group of technologies for the delivery of voice communications and multimedia sessions over Internet Protocol (IP) networks, such as the Internet."
Wiki even lists Teamspeak as a protocol -.-

WOW; amazing isn't it thats exactly what we get. So reading comprehension?

Edited by Lily from animove, 17 February 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#7 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:28 PM

I don't mean this as an offence, but you seem to be the messanger of said age, because you lack basic understanding of simple text even.

or you are just a new generation of trolling, I am sometimes really not sure if those topics are serious or just a troll attemp, because you show a source that totally confirms you are wrong.

Edited by Lily from animove, 17 February 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#8 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

I know the originating term was used for actual phones to be translated into voice data on the Internet, but even online voice chat solutions have embraced this term since they function the same way in the grand scheme of things.

In essence, the terminology of things have changed since forever.

For instance, "to google" used to be about staring at other people... but now is being used to discuss "searching for information online over the most popular search engine".

So... please, stop thinking too hard about this.

#9 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

What's next?

Yeah, and the save icon on most applications is a floppy disk, despite there being virtually no floppy drives anymore. Or how about why it's still called "rewinding" when you go backwards on a DVD?

You sure picked some stupid s*** to complain about. I bet you're fun at parties.

#10 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

What's next?

:blink: You sir are ridiculous. Nick summed it up pretty well so I won't add to it, but seriously. :blink:

#11 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

If you're in the industry, you would get laughed out of the room if you called VOIP, "voice chat." It's VOIP, plain and simple, so let's call it what it is.

#12 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

What's next?

Wanna know what Telephones were ran on before the Internets?

"CABLES" (which they are not, they are WIRES) as you have called them is how you send just about all information other then Radio Signals which go through the air. Its VOIP yes because you are in fact using your IP number and Internet Protocols to "make calls" or carry voice over the net. I dont get how that is redundant at all?

If i was using POTS (poopy old telephone lines) i would NOT be able to call it VOIP even know by your definition it is still Voice over cables. But it uses a Phone Service Not the internet to make the call so its still voice over cable but your ISP is not needed.

Also, what do you think META means?

Edited by DarthRevis, 17 February 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#13 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

Voice over internet protocol = voice communication over the internet. So in a broad sense any voice chat that takes place over the internet is VoIP.

Edited by Basskicker, 17 February 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#14 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

That's it! I'm quitting this game. And boycotting PGI. And uninstalling my VOIP.

#15 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

Yea so if you are chatting online, you are sending your voice, over IP.

So, yea

it's voice over IP

#16 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

For instance, "to google" used to be about staring at other people... but now is being used to discuss "searching for information online over the most popular search engine".
You sure you don't mean "to ogle?"

Edited by reddevil, 17 February 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#17 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:47 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 17 February 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

That's it! I'm quitting this game. And boycotting PGI. And uninstalling my VOIP.

can I haz ur stuff plz?

#18 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

View Postreddevil, on 17 February 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

You sure you don't mean "to ogle?"

"Ogle" has a different definition (although often related to "googling") but are similar in nature.

#19 WNxWolfy

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

Not sure if really good troll or just terrible person

#20 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 17 February 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

"Ogle" has a different definition (although often related to "googling") but are similar in nature.

First you "google", then you "ogle", right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users