Will This Work?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Jake Devlin

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

So I posted my craptastic notebook a couple of weeks back, and I may have an opportunity to trade it straight up for a desktop. But I want to go ahead and get the go/no go on the prospect.

Optiplex 760
Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo - 2.80 GHz
250 GB SATA II Hard Drive
4 GB RAM - ( Upgradable To 8 GB )
SATA Multi DVD/RW
Intel Q45 Express Integrated Graphics
7.1 HD Surround Audio
Genuine Dell Windows® 7 Professional 64 Bit w/SP1 - ( Product Key Included )
All Updates,Dell Drivers,IE 11,Google Chrome.Java,Adobe Flash
Microsoft Office 2007 - Enterprise Edition
Adobe Reader- For PDF Files
AVG- Antivirus
Ccleaner-Registry Cleaner

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

That won't run it either. Really awful onboard graphics chip, slow cpu (although that meets the official minimum requirements)

Edited by Flapdrol, 18 February 2015 - 02:38 PM.

#3 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

The good news is that at least that platform has some upgrading that can be done. The bad news is that you'd have to throw money at it to get it to play MWO, so you might as well throw money at building a new machine instead.

#4 Jake Devlin

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:13 PM

Would this PC be close to what I'm looking for, then?

CybertronPC Patriot GM1293D

•System: AMD A4-5300 3.40GHz Dual-Core | AMD A55 Chipset | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | Genuine Windows 8 64-bit
•Graphics: Radeon HD 7480D GPU
That's all I could find on the specs. It's on Amazon, though either way I wouldn't be able to afford it for a while

#5 Kadix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 169 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

View PostJake Devlin, on 18 February 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Would this PC be close to what I'm looking for, then?

CybertronPC Patriot GM1293D

•System: AMD A4-5300 3.40GHz Dual-Core | AMD A55 Chipset | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | Genuine Windows 8 64-bit
•Graphics: Radeon HD 7480D GPU
That's all I could find on the specs. It's on Amazon, though either way I wouldn't be able to afford it for a while

You're looking at a mid-range 3 year old machine. It'll probably work for for MWO, but it's not going to be impressive. Wouldn't really recommend it.

FWIW, I'm running a http://www.amazon.co...uct/B00CPZJDZG/ and MWO is playable on high graphics settings (but not fully max'ed out).

#6 Arkbird_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

The Dell Optiplex is upgradeable but still won't make the game very enjoyable. Build a new system. That AMD one isn't too grand either as while it has a higher clock AMD processors do less per core than Intel ones. Dual Core is almost ancient now and many games in the future will not support it. At a minimum at this point you need a quad core.

I got a Dell Optiplex 745 2 years ago and tried to run mwo with it and it wouldn't work with the integrated graphics. You HAVE to upgrade the graphics card to run the game. CPU will work though.

On my optiplex I had a far inferior version than yours which was a E6400 dual core with 2.13 mhz clock. 2 gb ddr2 ram and a x1300/1550 pro graphics card. That graphics card (compare it to yours) was NOT good enough. In order to play mechwarrior I required an upgrade to an hd6570 and after that I could run this game at 30 fps at minimum settings. Which isn't that great but definitely playable.

However I then built a new computer and I will just admit it was night and day difference. I do not regret it in the slightest. I got an AMD FX 8350 with a gtx 970 with 8 gb ram and now the game is beautiful, has a high frame rate, and I can now (with skill) do great amounts of damage and be the best on my team. Wasn't possible with the optiplex.

So the simple way to put it is are you getting this computer super cheap? Because that's what it's worth as it is not what you need because you will have to upgrade its graphics card to work this game. Best advice is build your own system. Get an Intel CPU as well as they do better than AMD ones for in game frames per second. (I got AMD because I multitask a lot and wanted the flexibility and it works spectacularly for it but i did take a FPS hit for it)

You can get your system and upgrade the graphics card for the cheapest approach and yes play this game but you will be at minimum settings. Also be aware if you like to play newer games it will be obselete in about a year or two and it definitely will not fare that well in Community Warfare games where all systems take a performance hit.

#7 Jake Devlin

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

I'm in here frequently trying to figure out the best route to get back in game with CW, I'm just trying to get the best bang. I WAS on a pc that put me at around 25fps even on CW, but I no longer can use it. I have VERY little clue on PCs and what is compatible with what, and overclocking, and what have you.

#8 aidenmpryde

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:10 PM

Sorry for being late on the subject but how much coin do you have?

#9 Jake Devlin

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

Money would be no object, except the time it would take to rascal it up, whether I buy all at once or piece it together part by part. So my best bet would be to go into the $600-$700 range, I take it. I can run with less FPS, but it'd be nice to run a game like many here do. I've dealt with 25fps, I'd LOVE to get double that, at least.

Edited by Jake Devlin, 18 February 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#10 Arkbird_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

View PostJake Devlin, on 18 February 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

Money would be no object, except the time it would take to rascal it up, whether I buy all at once or piece it together part by part.

Buy all at once.

I thought i could get a Dell computer and upgrade it piece by piece. Personal experience says it doesn't really work. Generally speaking the best way to do computer upgrades is get a good one all at once to last 3-5 years and keep building new ones every few years like that. You'll pay more in the long run if you constantly upgrade pieces one at a time.

600-700 is the best bang for your buck and you get a good computer that lasts many years with no upgrades. It would be worth the time to rascal it up.

#11 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

Sir, the bang-fer-buck route involves building it yourself. Store-bought systems of seemingly-reasonable price are always baddy compromised in general, and poorly set up for gaming purposes.

Doing it yourself sound scary, but in general the hard part is commuting to do so, and the homework required for a successful build: Physical constants for things like the CPU cooler and video card can be found, but are among the most obfuscated points.

There are other thread in this forum where much of the homework has already been done.

#12 RedlineHunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGPS said I'm here, but I think I'm over there...

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

A good GPU/CPU is needed for MWO to run well. My setup is:

i7-950 quadcore @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR 3 @1866MHz
Sabertooth X58 motherboard
Geforce GTX 750
Sound blaster X-FI w/ 5.1 surround
Windows 7 64-bit

Even this setup is almost 3 years old. The only upgrade was the GTX 460 GPU. With this setup I can run everything on highest settings with the exception of anti-aliasing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users