19 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:39 PM

Simply, in your opinion, what are the top 5 best hero mechs and why?

#2 S T I N G S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:45 PM

Huginn SRM quirks make it deadly to everything!
Sparky The medium lasers on that thing with the around 25 heat per alpha makes it nice.
Grid Iron The guass is like a machine gun because of the quirks.
Yen Lo Wang Just an all around fun mech to play with.
Ilya Muromets The ballistics on it are crazy and has enough armor to stay alive and kicking..

#3 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:57 PM

I can only speak about the mechs I own.

1. - Heavy Metal - This mech is the best of the Highlanders, Gauss + 3 ER Large Laser on arms is excellent.
2. - Ilya Muromets - Dual Gauss, again in the arms. B)
3. - Jester - High speed, jump jetting, quad large laser troll. With the smile to boot!
4. - Sparky - 6 Mediums, good speed, + JJ
5. - Grey Death - High Mounted Gauss with 4 Medium Laser in the arms. + JJ

I have yet to own a hero that I don't like, the IV-4 is the closest one to being useless for my playstyle. :wacko:

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

For me, I feel these top two are thee best Heroes, head to head with other Heroes. They can have a very strong influence in matches, and are very tough to bring down when Elited and with a player who knows how to maximize their strengths.

1). Misery - 85 Ton Assault with excellent hitboxes, solid blend of Hardpoints, PPFLD loadouts can core out most any mech pretty fast
2). Ember - 35 Ton Light with excellent hitboxes, good Hardpoints, and Jump Jets, can run with Standard Engine rather well too

These next Heroes have close competition with the Honorable Mentions below, but can still hold their own rather well with their high mobility and potential lethality.

3). Sparky - 55 Ton Medium with solid hitboxes, good energy Hardpoints, rather agile with a big engine and Jump Jets
4). Firebrand - 65 Ton Heavy with solid hitboxes and great high hardpoints in the arms can run two Gauss or two AC/20 for example
5). Jester - 65 Ton Heavies with fine hitboxes, fine Hardpoints, very agile, Jump Hets and is XL friendly

Honorable Mention goes to the Dragon Slayer, Hellslinger, and Gray Death. These are dark-horse candidates that can jump ahead of Sparky, Firebrand and Jester in different situations and play styles.

The rest are not too far behind the Honorable Mentions though, but having fun and success with the rest can rely on preferred play styles and can be more situational.

For example, I personally like the Death's Knell, but Commandos can be harder to run than other mechs.

#5 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:00 PM

Pirate's Bane. ECM at 170 kph. You can run fast enough to break locks on your teammates before the missiles hit them.

/thread

But seriously, I'd have to say that of the limited number of those I own, I like the Locust PB best, with TDK following close behind for skirmishing justice. The Atlas hero feels like a total waste of money though.

Edited by Tim East, 19 February 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#6 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:16 PM

Not mentioned here but worth mentioning
Protector - Can be built any way you like. Takes great advantage of Gauss quirks.
X-5 (That SRM Cooldown and MLas Range)

#7 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

1. Huggin
2. Ilya Muromets
3. Firebrand
4. Yen-Lo-Wang
5. Misery

Honorable mention.

6. Ember

I own every one except Sparky and Grey Death. This is my opinion.

Enjoi!

Edited by Flak Kannon, 19 February 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#8 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

It all comes down to how hardcore you are, which mechs you've mastered, which classes you need/don't need in CW, which loadout you want in a mech, and how you as a pilot play the game.

Lights:
LCT-PB, COM-TDK, SDR-A, and partly CDA-X5 are useful as dropship buffers if one is carrying multiple heavies/assaults for the battle.
JR7-O and RVN-H are useful heavier mech hunters, as they can really destroy anything bigger than they are with ease. Of course light hunting is not bad either but harder.
FS9-E is good for both roles but is more suited for anti-light duty since it's Mgs are better against cored legs.

Mediums:
CDA-X5 as said in lights (it's really a light) is a dropship buffer in my opinion; not really super strong on the field, but workable.
VND-SIB and BJ-A are better as dropship fillers but they do some work in battle and have a small niche, even though other mechs generally fill their roles better. Both are decent as light hunters or brawlers.
HBK-GI is a pure sniper, powerful from quirks as I see. It once wasn't so strong but now is quite a powerhouse.
CN9-YLW and TBT-LDG are better strikers and flankers with brawling ability. LDG can also hunt down light mechs.
KTO-GB is a pure support mech with good LRM qualities, but there is also the SHD-GD and GRF-1E/S which are both stronger as support mechs (though LRMs are well used in the GB). GD is more ballistics and 1E is more energy.

Heavies:
DRG-FANG and FLAME are difficult to use; same as QKD-IV4. FLAME is slightly easier to use as it has AC20 capabilities, but FANG and QKD-IV4 are not easy to use. They can be quadrupled in CW, most likely FLAME and 1N/1C models.
JM6-FB may be less flexible (though if you use it the same as other variants then it just only has benefits with C-bills), but it's viable as a sniper. CPLT-J is similar in a sniping role due to it's LL quirks, but can brawl with pulse lasers.
CTF-IM is a really good dakka-mech, though 4X and some jagers have different benefits as they are now.
ON1-P used to be the go-to brawler, but it's more of a sniper now due to quirks. It does work well regardless.

Assaults:
VTR-DS and AWS-PB are both mobile assaults. The first is a much better chassis in most competitive situations, but the second can also be effective if one knows how to play that chassis. It's tough to learn from the Awesome but it can do well.
BLR-1HG is unique, but niche in the battlefield. If you knew that a hot map were to appear, then this mech will benefit (it has 50% less heat in a hot map).
HGN-HM is also unique, with a great auto-warhorn and a difference in hardpoints (not all hardpoints are on one side). It's totally up to one to decide whether this is for them; you like it or don't.
STK-M, BNC-LM, and AS7-BH are all tougher brawler built mechs that are tanky and can pull off high damage numbers. The latter two are generally underrated but still do work on the field.

Good luck OP and hope I covered each hero enough; if you still need help ask about the heroes! :)

#9 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

1.Heavy Metal [90ton assault class]: Solid hardpoints in the arms, can easily track targets and dish out good dps. No other highlander has energy in the arm.
Negatives: No AC-20 or 2xUltraAC-5.
Price:6750

2.ILYA [70ton heavy class]: only mech in the game that can pack 3AC-10. Very good ballistic and energy hardpoints.
Negatives: Chassie inherent weaknesses, fragile as the rest of the phracts.
Price:5250 MC

3.Misery [85ton assault class]: Its a stalker with a canon.
Negatives: Only one missile slot.
Price:6375 MC

4.Firebrand or Jester [65ton heavy class]: both are fast. Firebrand has high ballistics and high energy hardpoints, no other jäger has energy in the arms. Jester is very fast(97.3km/h max), dual ams laser boat with jump jets, very fun mech to pilot.
Negatives: Chassie inherent weaknesses, easy to hit side torsos on Firebrand because its a jäger, easy to hit center torso on jester because its a catapult.
Price:4875 MC

5.Golden Boy [55ton medium class]: 5 missiles + 3 arm mounted lasers, yes please!
Negatives: Bad mobility.
Price:4125 MC

For best results master the heroes, if you dont like the base variants youll prob wont like the hero. Expect sales. More tons=more guns :)

Edited by Turist0AT, 19 February 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#10 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:55 PM

1. Ember
2. Firebrand
3. Sparky
4. Misery
5. Ilya Muromets/Dragon Slayer (tie)

Any questions? See me on TS. haha

#11 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:01 AM

I dunno about top 5, but i really enjoy the Jester.. Has to be one of my favorite mechs, hero or not.. It is my second highest KDR out of any mech with more than 100 matches. 87.7 KPH, dual JJ's, Dual AMS.. and laser boat fun!

#12 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

Mine, in order:
1 - Muromets (3x UAC5, 3xML) - My playgroup knows what happens when I get frustrated... "It's Muromets Time!" is a common phrase.
2 - Firebrand (2x UAC5, 2xLL) - Inexplicably excellent stats with this build. Wasn't even my goal with it when I build it, but it's been working too well. The high mount weaponry is everything I wasn't getting out of regular Jaggers.
3 - Ember (4ML, 4MG) - Was better before the MG nerfs, but still holds his own.
4 - X5 (4ML, 2SRM2) - Best paintjob ever!. :)

Other:
Pretty Baby - Always wanted to love this... But it's a hard case. The best build for it isn't 'working' in the current meta. Seemed to be doing OK with the LL quirks, but those got nerfed (!?) last pass.

Dragon Slayer - It's time has past, haven't gotten around to reconfiguring him. (2PPC, 2AC5)

#13 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

View PostTim East, on 19 February 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Pirate's Bane. ECM at 170 kph. You can run fast enough to break locks on your teammates before the missiles hit them.

/thread

Yep.

PB is the only one thats actually better than the other variants. Yen Lo and Misery are equal in power to the AH and 4N, IMHO, but not actually better.

#14 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:38 AM

If the criteria is which are competitive, for myself, I like Sparky, Misery and Ilya.

#15 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:49 PM

Misery
Huugin
Sparky
Pirate's Bane
Ilya (now that they've fixed the quirks on it)

#16 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

Hmm, best as in statistically, or best as in fun can be wildly different in MWO.

I enjoy these hero mechs for reliable fun/performance:

Misery- I play brawl Stalkers anyway, so AC20 on a Stalker was +1 for me lol.

Yen Lo Wang- tryhards all boohoo about the right arm. Because they can't make it work for them and are secretly jealous :P It can mount the AC20, and still mount zombie weapons with a good engine size. The newest Cent. has no lasers, and IMO you don;t think you will miss them- until they arent there.

Oxide- yeah I am a minority probably. i ran it as a streak boat. Poor, poor enemy lights. Where will you hide? Bonus fun: play this in the background repeatedly once the fuzzball starts and the pursuit begins-

Golden Boy- Have you ever watched the little promo vid PGI made for this one? SRM madness? You can actually load it like that, and succeed. It runs hot as **** though, but you know, nobody expects the 70 point alpha splat from a stupid Kintaro lol. With like half the basics unlocked(I havent bought other Kintaros yet haha) I averaged 450 dmg a match, and 100% without fail you will blow off enemy arms and legs for sweet, sweet c-bill bonuses, and cool looking explosions and mayhem.

X5- i dunno, something about Cicadas man, they look underwhelming. but slap that big engine on to make it run as fast as a Jenner(almost) and then go run around playing ninja backstabby times, and it performs really really well for being on the bottom of it;s weight class. Of the 5 I list here, it is probably the least "novelty" of the heros, but it performs reliably for me and i enjoy Cicadas so I put it on here.

honorable mentions:
Illya- My ping is bad, so I get a double whammy of wonky ballistic HSR coupled with this really odd arm weapon convergence when i run AC10's on phracts. This has kept me from achieving, and I kid you not, 900+ dmg games- usually reduced to 500-600, because that many shells ghost through my targets. I started on Phracts, I can work around their OLD hitbox issues and fragility that results, but when I watch shells duff into hills directly behind my target, AC10 shells making some kind of zonky "X" tracer pattern on my screen and somehow missing in front of my target(as in, shells miss ot the left AND right of target by crossing IN FRONT of crosshairs somehow) and just general bad HSR It makes me a sad Elda, so this mech despite it's potential for roflsmash, sits more then it should in it's hanger. if you have good ping and less HSR issues with ballistics, this mech should be on your list.

Hellslinger- this mech is actually really fun, BUT i think it got meh quirks, and I prefer the "hero" Pheonix variant I got run with a similar loadout. Kind of a silly reason to push it down my list, but there it is.

Fang/Flame- I had a blast in these..... a long time ago. i dunno where Flame even ranks anymore, and Fang I had this rediculous AC10/2xPPC combo on it which was facewrex SRPRS Dragon smash, but again, right now laser HSR works 250% better then ballistics for me, so it has collected a lot of dust. These mechs are a lot better then the tryhards give them credit for.

Atlas Boarhead- if the Atlas could get some love in keeping it's side torsos I would play this regularily. If you understand the oncept of "surprise Atlas" then this mech will consistently do 600 dmg/match. if only Atlas didnt lose 50% or more of its firepower as soon as a couple enemy see it and shoot out it's Side torso, it would be on my top 5.

#17 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:59 AM

Do the Legionnaire versions count as heros? If so then my list goes like this:

KGC-000(L): All the Dakka! I love me some ballistics. This thing can run all the ridiculous ballistics builds that makes your enemies s**t themselves and panic, 4xUAC5 build, 6xAC2 build, 4xAC5+2xAC2 build, 2xAC20+2LL/LPL/PPC build.

Firebrand: Not only is this thing capable of running standard Jager builds (AC40, Dual Gauss, 2xAC5/2xUAC5+lasers) It can run one of the best under rated builds, STD300, 2xLL+4xML (or STD280, 2xLPL+3ML)

Ilya: Good mech that can put out consistent games via 3xUAC5/AC5+2-3xML's. Can also run triple LBX10's for fun, or dual AC10's+AC5

Arrow: Besides what others may say, I love my mini-jagers. And the arrow is the ultimate clean-up mech with 2xLPL+6xMG and JJ's. And with the new quirks and ghost heat changes, triple LPL's has become a great build on this as well!

Misery: The tankiest of brawlers due to the compact and good hitboxed frame of the stalkers. Can run 4xLPL's ok, or AC20+SRM6+lasers of your choice. Or leave out the SRM's and go AC20+2xLPL for a surprisingly surgical removal of enemy torsos.

#18 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:12 AM

How good is the Malinche? I've heard mixed reviews, I really like the idea of a (relatively) fast assault and I think Banshees look pretty awesome.

#19 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:14 AM

I have not got the Malinche yet. Though I love AC10's, LPL's and banshees. so this would most likely make my top five.

Edited by Punk Oblivion, 22 February 2015 - 02:14 AM.

#20 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:42 AM

1. Pirates bane. (For something so amazing in a small package it is very cheap! Cheaper then a hamburger and it has ECM!)
2. Misery. (I love the lore behind it, the refference to the battle of misery, and the way it has a primitive version of the later (ballistic) variants)
3. Jester (It's like a K2 but more energetic... badum tish....)
4. Widowmaker. (even though it isn't even in game yet... or at all. I am putting this up here because It's the best mech, full stop)
5. Huginn. Who doesn't like norse mythology and the FRR? This mech is awesome... I just wish there is a Muginn to go with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users