Scr-D Advice

11 replies to this topic

#1 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:51 AM

Hello all

I have a couple of questions about Stormcrow Ds.

I originally ran mine as a Lurmcrow - it was probably as painful a journey for me as it was for those who were on the receiving end as I dont really like Lurming.
Why Lurm? I hear you ask - I was the easy option and I just couldn't get the hang of using Streaks.

Now that Ive Mastered my 'crows its time for me to leave the Lurmage behind and create a Streakboat.

Currently its running 3 Mpls and (iirc) 4 Streak 6's, a Clan Active Probe and TComp 1. I went for Mpls as it seemed like a good back up.

Is this a good setup or should I aim for more Streakage?

What modules would you use?

Any general tips on Streak boating would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

#2 DelphiAuriga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 166 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, in the planet Skandia ;)

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:45 AM

I run this and i find it funny.

I dont like to fully rely in the Streaks cause of the limited range, and i also liked the idea of an only missiles loadout. I run 1xSSRM6, 1xSSRM4 and 1xSSRM2 so they automatically chain their fire once the first alpha is dropped. Having the Artemis upgrade they lock faster on the target. The cLRM10+A allows me to "chasse" the fast mechs that think that they can avoid retaliation, and also create a "killing range" whr i can be deploying missiles non-stop.

Posted Image

Weapon Groups:
1) Streaks, they will autochain with their cooldowns
2) LRM10+A
3) All, for those lovely moments that enemies pass in the killing range

Modules:

Mech:
*Radar Deprivation
*Adv. Target Decay
Consumable:
*Improved UAV
*Improved Artillery Strike
Weapon:
*cLRM10 range
*cSSRM6 cooldown (tends to be unmounted in favour of Adv. Target Decay)

Edited by DelphiAuriga, 19 February 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#3 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

I roll regular SRMs with an ERML for backup/poking. They feel punchier because I can kind of aim them. Streaks hit random components, I believe.

#4 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

SSRMs always seem to gravitate towards appendages if they still exist.

#5 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:18 PM

Every mech should have what are called bones (which are also weighted to not favor center mass). There are seven and it are these that SSRMs target.

Here's an old Command Chair post, but they still more or less still work the same as described there.

And here's another build to keep in mind.

Artemis and BAP help and consider the Target Decay Module, which is helpful for both LRMs and Streaks if you don't have it already.

#6 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

I'd claim this is pretty much THE streakcrow: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a0d639170bcee11

Adding energy weapons to the mix makes the mech run too hot, you get the most out of Streaks if you dedicate the mech purely on their massive, rather low heat DPS. Streaks hit random components, yes, and usually not the component you'd like to hit, but being able to deal 10 damage per second continuously for a whole minute will **** anyone up.

Only ever alpha if the enemy (light) is just getting out of your sight and you know you can cool down after. I'd recommend grouping the missiles to right and left side, so it's easier to get clear shots even when team members or obstacles partially block your view. Don't chain fire either, deal the damage as fast as possible without incurring ghost heat penalty, then twist away to spread the damage you take.

Use cover. Never rush into the open towards an enemy that is way out of your range. Stick with the group, preferably with mechs that are higher priority for the enemy to kill than you.

The essential weapon module to have is IMO the Level 5 CSSRM6 range, because with that you will have nearly 400m range with the Streaks, which allows you to peek and shoot at targets more often, without getting dangerously close. Besides that, Level 5 CSSRM6 cooldown will further buff your DPS. Getting and holding locks isn't that hard when you have CAP and Artemis, so I'd just pick Radar Deprivation for the non-weapon module.

You will want to carry an UAV with you at all times, you can use it to either get you easy locks without LoS when the enemy is nearby, or to plain save your butt if too many ECMs jam your targeting.

It's absolutely brutal, and pretty effortless to play. Do your team a favor and go for the enemy lights if possible, nothing kills them as reliably fast as this mech does. This is also a mech that excels in CW, specifically against light rushes.

#7 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:11 AM

Thank you all for the replies.

I shall adjust my build/ tactics accordingly.

#8 DelphiAuriga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

View PostKyynele, on 19 February 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

I'd claim this is pretty much THE streakcrow: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a0d639170bcee11
(...)

I dont understand how can u support ur latter afirmations without a Targetting Computer. With all that equiptment im barely able to lock some fast lights like the Spider or Firestarter, i dont see how u can in that and while keeping them in the range of the missile tubes.

Certainly adding Artemis helps a lot, but i would still drop, no doub, 1xSSRM6 to 1xSSRM4 to place a TargetingComputer I, most likely two to get a TC II.

SCR-D - 28 StreakSRM tubes (4xSSRM6, 1xSSRM4), cAP, TC1

Edited by DelphiAuriga, 20 February 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#9 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

I suggest mixing lasers with streaks, overall you will be more effective. If you run the prime arms and head you can mount 5 CSPL and still have your 3 missile hardpoints in your torsos. Make sure to run CAP for those lights that have ECM.

Something like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c858a2b0bccf014

Against lights aim for a leg with the lasers then fire your streaks. You can also be effective against bigger 'mechs this way (unlike the pure streak boats) by being able to focus damage onto one component especially if you get someone's back.

Honestly mixed builds like this are shockingly brawly--you will find yourself putting up huge numbers and wrecking bigger slower mechs despite the streaks.

Edited by Kain Thul, 20 February 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#10 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostDelphiAuriga, on 20 February 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

I dont understand how can u support ur latter afirmations without a Targetting Computer. With all that equiptment im barely able to lock some fast lights like the Spider or Firestarter, i dont see how u can in that and while keeping them in the range of the missile tubes.

Certainly adding Artemis helps a lot, but i would still drop, no doub, 1xSSRM6 to 1xSSRM4 to place a TargetingComputer I, most likely two to get a TC II.

SCR-D - 28 StreakSRM tubes (4xSSRM6, 1xSSRM4), cAP, TC1

That targeting computer is a complete waste on this build. Sure, you will see enemy loadouts faster but it does not matter since streaks can not be directed towards any specific components.

Do you think that it helps reduce lock times?

Edited by Kain Thul, 20 February 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#11 DelphiAuriga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:10 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 20 February 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

That targeting computer is a complete waste on this build. Sure, you will see enemy loadouts faster but it does not matter since streaks can not be directed towards any specific components.

Do you think that it helps reduce lock times?

Nope, but according to this it does increase sensor range, zoom and targeting data. Information is ammunition, and whoever get it faster, increase his chances to win.

Having the target lockable for longer time and for longer duration it does worth 2 SSRM tubes.

View PostKain Thul, on 20 February 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

I suggest mixing lasers with streaks, overall you will be more effective. If you run the prime arms and head you can mount 5 CSPL and still have your 3 missile hardpoints in your torsos. Make sure to run CAP for those lights that have ECM.

Something like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c858a2b0bccf014

Against lights aim for a leg with the lasers then fire your streaks. You can also be effective against bigger 'mechs this way (unlike the pure streak boats) by being able to focus damage onto one component especially if you get someone's back.

Honestly mixed builds like this are shockingly brawly--you will find yourself putting up huge numbers and wrecking bigger slower mechs despite the streaks.

I agree in everything u said here, but im gonna give it other approach, way more assimetric, but i like assimetric builds:

SCR-D - 4xStreakSRM6 3xERMLas cAP TC1

Edited by DelphiAuriga, 20 February 2015 - 08:19 PM.

#12 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

View PostDelphiAuriga, on 20 February 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Targeting Computer (copypasted from smurfy's): Increases AC (Except LBX) and PPC projectile speeds; Laser ranges; AC (Except LBX), PPC and Laser crit chances. Increases sensor range, zoom and speeds up Targeting Data.

Your sensor range with CAP is already about three times over the maximum range of Streaks (1250m). And like Kain Thul above said, Targeting Data means just the enemy mech info showing at the top right of your screen. With Streaks you do absolutely nothing with that information.

Kain Thul's loadout also looks fun. I use a similar loadout on my SCR-A: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=268&l=cbbc63e4c3b633c2cd6ed6193824c857f6aa060c

If you want to mix lasers with Streaks, going for the lowest heat ones like ERSL and SPL are good choices. Still, the 100% Streakcrow is very competitive.

Here's a sample of the 5x SSRM6 Crow: http://www.twitch.tv...6082?t=2h13m04s (look mom, I'm almost on TV!) :D

Edited by Kyynele, 20 February 2015 - 08:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users