I Finally Pulled The Trigger On The New Intel Z97 Build With A I7 4790K Processor Guys.

141 replies to this topic

#81 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

Yeah.... I really don't like using stock coolers on anything I build, and I only picked it up at Micro center because I think it was like $25 bucks or something. I used it on my media build with the Phenom 960T and the Intel Q9550 at 3.8ghz with no issues at all. I mean not as good as temps as my water loop of course, but never seen them go past 55C even when playing this game.

I will have a better idea on things once I get the loop up and running and can then really play with this I7. Till then, Its all up in the air right now. No biggie, I pretty much knew I would be waiting on the parts for the loop, had to go with several different companies. The tank was gonna come today thru Fedex, but didn't make it due to bad weather. I did receive most of the cable extensions from amazon today, I went with Rosewill red ones, and had to go with another brand for some of them because amazon was out of stock on them. This is the first time I have used cable extenders so this new wall mount case is really gonna look sharp! :D

I will check out the core parker.....I looked at the page, have it booked marked but haven't downloaded it yet. The other site I couldn't read, in another language and didn't see a translate button.

OMG... still no go on the fraps and 64-bit client.... that sucks man, WTF! :unsure:

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 25 February 2015 - 07:06 PM.

#82 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

You need 64-bit fraps to play around with 64-bit games, and fraps isn't available in 64-bits.

Why you're using fraps in 2015, I will not even think of. Get something like MSI afterburner, EVGA precision, or what have you.

#83 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:13 AM

I did some Fraps with MWO 64Bit and it worked - i have a full Version though:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4044931

#84 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 25 February 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

You need 64-bit fraps to play around with 64-bit games, and fraps isn't available in 64-bits.

Why you're using fraps in 2015, I will not even think of. Get something like MSI afterburner, EVGA precision, or what have you.

Ummm Vass.... that is not the problem, my fraps works just fine in the 32 bit client and the 64 bit one. If this was the case, please explain. Yeah... I wish I could find a better program then Fraps, because of the extremely large files it makes that need to be compressed into smaller ones, but it does in fact work. Is MSI after free and can do all that fraps does with Video capture or does one have to pay for it also?

Here is a link Vass to shed light on the claim....http://www.fraps.com/news.php

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 26 February 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#85 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:48 AM

From what I've seen, afterburner is a hassle to get accurate readings with when it comes to FPS outside of real-time monitoring. I have no problem taking my readings in 32-bit mode, I just know it isn't as accurate of a portrayal of my daily experience since I use the 64-bit client and I -know- the 32-bit client rubs up against memory limitations I don't normally have when using the 64-bit client.

#86 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:23 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 26 February 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:

From what I've seen, afterburner is a hassle to get accurate readings with when it comes to FPS outside of real-time monitoring. I have no problem taking my readings in 32-bit mode, I just know it isn't as accurate of a portrayal of my daily experience since I use the 64-bit client and I -know- the 32-bit client rubs up against memory limitations I don't normally have when using the 64-bit client.

Careful Wired..... you are almost coming off as "I can't see a difference" line of thinking... :P :lol:

The Bits power 400 tank just came from Fed ex..... .and all I can say is holy $hit! WOW! Maybe size does matter? This is gonna be fun :D

First Plexiglass back plate cut on 45's and polished out, and the new tank :D
Posted Image

:wub:

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 26 February 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#87 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

I took out my water loop tonight and started soaking it down in hot soapy water. Lines are a little hazy but nothing to bad for a 4 year old water loop. Very little crud if any at all, but I am still gonna soak it and clean all parts that are going into the new build, pump and radiator, the rest will all be new.

Trying to lay out the placement on the wall case so I can start drilling and cutting the holes in the granite for wires and bolts to attach everything. I also have to cut out the granite for led back lights to go in and wire behind the case. I should have it figured out by tonight or tomorrow for sure, and start working on getting it all cut and ready to transfer the I7 build to the new case. Parts might be here tomorrow, if not by Saturday I hope.

I have the hard drive plexiglass and the PSU, and the graphics card one to cut and polish yet, motherboard and Tank is done. :D

Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 26 February 2015 - 09:13 PM.

#88 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:22 AM

Which wires are those? Is it nzxt extensions? looking for white

#89 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:13 AM

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 27 February 2015 - 01:22 AM, said:

Which wires are those? Is it nzxt extensions? looking for white

Rosewill and Alchemy.... If you want the white ones they are gonna be more expensive then the rosewill reds.... I couldn't find any other colors with Rosewill ones, and they was the most reasonable priced. If you are looking the whites, I think Alchemy might have them, or Sliverstone, and NZXT has them but plan on spending around $55 bucks to get the main lines for you PSU, PCI-E, main power line, 8 prone power line, etc. etc. They really look nice, Red works great for me, and I have around 38 bucks into them.

#90 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:43 PM

Just switched over the Zalman on my FX-8350 and down clocked it to 4.6ghz and am running stock volts at 1.35 to be safe. Temps look good, Idle at 20C.... just getting ready to jump into some MWO for the first time today. I had to tear out the I7 build and got quite a bit down, first time ever bonding Plexiglass, some drips but noting major as the plates I was a little sloppy on will never been seen. Still waiting on the rest of the water loop parts. :(

Several runs tonight with the FX-8350 in the same case as my old desk build, but not cut in half. No front 120 fan on it, and a 120 in the back vs. the 90mm one on my old desk case. Teams are still same at Idle, and not pushing over 44C while playing MWO. Man, that I7 sure does seem to be hot under stock sink, and the Zalman. Really don't think I did anything wrong with mounting either of them, its just a hot CPU. However, my FX-8350 seems to embrace the Zalman and loves it. :D The I7 4790K, not so much...

2015-02-28 00:50:54 - MWOClient
Frames: 10085 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 56.028 - Min: 38 - Max: 69

2015-02-28 01:14:33 - MWOClient
Frames: 5656 - Time: 109996ms - Avg: 51.420 - Min: 37 - Max: 74

2015-02-28 01:19:00 - MWOClient
Frames: 9820 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 54.556 - Min: 35 - Max: 74

Setting are all the same as the Intel Rig High-Very high, particles on medium with AA on. Still haven't had the time to down load the core parker yet. Honestly guys....at this point, my gaming experience with either platform really doesn't seem much different to me. Both systems perform well, or as well as can be expected with MWO. Can't wait for the parts to get here so I can tweak the Intel system and see what I can get out of it!

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 27 February 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#91 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:10 AM

Everything is here now... parts came for Loop, let the fun begin! :D

#92 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:17 PM

At stock, the 4790K uses ~120W at average (that's with allowing it to use turbo still). At 4.7GhZ, it's ~140W. At 4.0GhZ the 8350 uses ~180W (all numbers taken from Tom's since it was a consistent source, though not my favorite). Something was wrong (especially since that Zalman isn't even built to handle 180W and you're running that CPU beyond the 4.0GhZ where that watermark typically is).

Either way, glad the loop is getting constructed. That's sure to keep just about anything you have in the next 4 years under control (unless some ridiculous new technology that runs way too hot is a must-have).

#93 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

I ran into a few setbacks today.... I listed my FX-8350 and Gigabyte 990fxa UD3 on Craigslist for $350 and it sold tonight. Guy drove all the way from Indy to get it, like a two hour drive. :D

So no more playing with both rigs, lol. I didn't get much done today on the wall mount case because of running... but its all good, I think I am ready to start mounting all the plexi plates and cutting out the slots in the granite tomorrow. Figuring out the placement is has proven rather tricky, but its coming together now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#94 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:26 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 28 February 2015 - 08:17 PM, said:

At stock, the 4790K uses ~120W at average (that's with allowing it to use turbo still). At 4.7GhZ, it's ~140W. At 4.0GhZ the 8350 uses ~180W (all numbers taken from Tom's since it was a consistent source, though not my favorite). Something was wrong (especially since that Zalman isn't even built to handle 180W and you're running that CPU beyond the 4.0GhZ where that watermark typically is).

Either way, glad the loop is getting constructed. That's sure to keep just about anything you have in the next 4 years under control (unless some ridiculous new technology that runs way too hot is a must-have).

I can't explain it, the Zalman handles the FX-8350 just fine... and better then the I7 4790k. I have heard that Amd temps are a bit deceiving.....but who knows. No biggie.... we will see what the new block and loop does with the I7. I am not a noob at mounting heat sinks guys.....lol Not sure what is up with the temps with the zalman and the I7 vs the FX chip...but whatever it is what it was.

The Xspc waterblock came with its own paste...Thermal Compound K2....any one have any experience with it? I checked some online reviews and it looks to be not the best, but better then artic silver 5 that I have used for like 7+ years. I am thinking of trying it with the new Xspc water block...man I am liking the looks of this new block. :D

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 28 February 2015 - 08:44 PM.

#95 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

That's some nice color coordination. Should look pretty fkn slick!

#96 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 28 February 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

That's some nice color coordination. Should look pretty fkn slick!

I know right....wait till I get the granite cut under the plexi plates and install the led's, they change colors with the remote, and shine thru the edges of the plexiglass...over 20 different colors I think. Red is gonna look very nice with this build I thinks. :wub: It was a tough call to go with red and black....left me with Asus hero II board, or the Asrock professional, or this one. I was so close to going with the Asrock OC extreme, but it would of required me to get the MSI 290X 8gb lighting card.... this $hit is starting to get expensive, lol.

One of the reason's I have never built a wall mount case is worries about dust. I am gonna get this done and leave it open for now. I have to dump another $160 dollars into 6" standoffs and the 3/8" plexiglass to enclose the case and install 4 120mm fans at each side to push pull air and put dust covers on both sides. Once I get that all fabed and installed...this case should be the $hit for airflow and dust control. I will have about $300 into it when finished. I think I am gonna start building them and selling them local around here if there is a demand for them.

Btw....no challenge for me this weekend, unless I want to suffer on my media build.... Phenom II 960T 8gbs of ram and a XFX 6870 2gb at 1080P on the 55" Lg. No 1440P love till I get the loop up and tested for leaks and finish the wall mount case. I guess I could put the Q9550 back together and drop the 7970 into it...but its looking like No "free" badder for me guys... :(

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 28 February 2015 - 09:16 PM.

#97 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:38 PM

Cutting the granite today and getting ready to solder the Led's in...... lots of fun!

Posted Image

#98 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

Bill

That system is looking intense! May I suggest a silver coil for the water tank. I have one in mine and NOTHING can live in the water. Unlike chems silver lasts forever :)

#99 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 02 March 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

Bill

That system is looking intense! May I suggest a silver coil for the water tank. I have one in mine and NOTHING can live in the water. Unlike chems silver lasts forever :)

Second that. In the last full loop I ever built, I actually had an antimicrobial silver strip. Kept it pretty clean.

#100 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

Omg.....what a weekend! A weekend with out MWO.... lol. Progress is being made, I need to pick up some bolts and stuff in town, but I am kinda snowed in right now. Here is the progress report guys.... its a work in progress, lol. I have to do wire management and install the power block for the led lights. All the Led's are in place and finished. Next up after wire management is installing the new 3/4" primo chill lines, and the leak test. NO badder for me...I didn't even get the 3 days Pt, :(

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users