Cauldron Born Shadow Pic

8 replies to this topic

#1 marbleworks

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:41 PM

it my only seem to me, but the cauldron born seems to be designed a little too high (legs not angled right) from previous incarnations. I would assume with the design of the mech it may affect the performance and theme of the mech.

#2 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

Prob some parts reused from the timby/maddog?

#3 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

Yeah, it needs to be a lot lower to the ground as opposed to other mechs in its weight class.

#4 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:36 PM

Yep, it looks way to tall, Cauldron-born is short and wide...

#5 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

Everyone realizes that tall + thin= good and short + wide=bad, right?

#6 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:42 PM

View PostDavers, on 20 February 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

Everyone realizes that tall + thin= good and short + wide=bad, right?

The Ebon Jaguar was short and narrow. And Long.

Like a Stalker, narrow from the front, but being long means it is a bigger target from the side. Compared to said Stalker, it should be considerably shorter. I picture a Cauldron Born in this game: the very top of the mech should be the very bottom of the cockpit glass on a TBR. Then, narrower then a TBR, with the arms less "underneath" and more, out to the sides/downward angle. Finally, it would be longer then a TBR from the side, both in torso, and in lower arm weapon pod area.

Adding missiles doesnt magically make it 25% taller either, they were fit neatly in the shoulder area and only portruded up a small amount.

What the Cauldron Born fans want is a likening to the MW3 model. That model would translate well into MWO.

i really, really hope they nail it on the art/model for this mech. Shadowcat and Cauldron born were 2 of the last 5 Clan mechs on my checklist, so I am pretty pumped to see them offered in a pack with bonus variants to boot(if i buy it very soon)

#7 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:06 AM

You have a choice. Either:
  • No torso twist and squat
  • An actual hip and taller by necessity

The squatness is not necessarily what makes the mech. It is the relative weapon placement. By that, I mean arms in line with cockpit, with torso mounts at or above cockpit. That is what makes it able to peek snipe well, not the total height of the mech. A squat mech with low arms would be just as bad as the Phract or Mr. Gargles for those purposes. Just look at the Nova.

Seeing as the concept silhouette looks like an Ebon Jaguar with the inclusion of a hip, as far as pod placement is concerned, it is most certainly not worth your time nor the developers' time to whine about minor aesthetic details like wanting the mech being so low to the ground that its hip actuator is scraping against the dirt. If the pods are placed well, and the mech looks fantastic (an admittedly subjective thing), then anything else is superfluous.

Now, let us see how they rig the legs. They might make them squatter by leg stance on the model. I know the Mad Dog and Timber Wolf aesthetically could use that pass, but only because it would just look better. It would not impact the mechs' functionally.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 22 February 2015 - 08:18 AM.

#8 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

View PostEldagore, on 20 February 2015 - 08:42 PM, said:

What the Cauldron Born fans want is a likening to the MW3 model. That model would translate well into MWO.

Speaking as a MW3 vet - hell no.

Pariah has the right of it - the MW3 Cauldron Born and Nova were built just like their images showed and thus lacked hips and couldn't torso twist. Consequently they rarely ever saw use. While the look is cool as hell, the tabletop never hobbled mechs for geometry and let even the hipless mechs torso twist. Since we can't ignore the fact that we need animations in game to show where the mech is facing, adding hips is necessary to have a mech which is even slightly competitive.

#9 marbleworks

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 22 February 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

You have a choice. Either:
  • No torso twist and squat
  • An actual hip and taller by necessity

The squatness is not necessarily what makes the mech. It is the relative weapon placement. By that, I mean arms in line with cockpit, with torso mounts at or above cockpit. That is what makes it able to peek snipe well, not the total height of the mech. A squat mech with low arms would be just as bad as the Phract or Mr. Gargles for those purposes. Just look at the Nova.

Seeing as the concept silhouette looks like an Ebon Jaguar with the inclusion of a hip, as far as pod placement is concerned, it is most certainly not worth your time nor the developers' time to whine about minor aesthetic details like wanting the mech being so low to the ground that its hip actuator is scraping against the dirt. If the pods are placed well, and the mech looks fantastic (an admittedly subjective thing), then anything else is superfluous.

Now, let us see how they rig the legs. They might make them squatter by leg stance on the model. I know the Mad Dog and Timber Wolf aesthetically could use that pass, but only because it would just look better. It would not impact the mechs' functionally.

1st thing, you're using whining wrong.
2nd thing, if we use your logic then you are wasting your time whining about me whining. Hence why you are using whining wrong.
3rd thing, you give two false choices and neither are what I was talking about so strawmans.
4th thing, post where I said I wanted them so low to the ground to scrape it or having or not having hips.
5th thing, your argument is flawed, if its a minor aesthetic thing then why point out that it would be a bad as other mechs for balance purposes? Is it that those mechs have minor aesthetic balance issues? I can only conclude that it isn't minor thus negating half your argument there. With that said you stated a mech should have weapon placement in line with the cockpit then argue that the shortness does not make a mech. Then negate the statement with the next sentences. Then does the shortness of the mech matter or does it not?

Now thats done let me state something simple, "legs not angled right". I never talked about hips or torso twists and do not care for them as I only stated that the legs should be angled more like the original.

Gotta love how people mistake constructive criticism for whining nowadays.

Edited by marbleworks, 25 February 2015 - 06:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users