66 replies to this topic

#61 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:22 AM

View PostWaiMingLee, on 30 March 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

Our Russians are better.

I can't say one way or the other. But I KNOW our Russians are more numerous. ;)

#62 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

The weekend uptick was because of the challenge event- we'll have to see how much of it sticks with the new week, if any.

#63 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

Forgot to screencap the EOR screen, but just got done with a 100% pug drop where we stomped some Davs around the Canyon. WaiMingLee, outstanding job calling the drop.

#64 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Sian

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

Apart from you Faith and I think Rakesch - didn't recognise anyone. So had to step in and up, couldn't have House Liao look dumb and blunder into a massacre now could we? However, this thread is a nod to the fact that so far, the small House Liao units (and pugs) can and do work well together, in this drop - I think everyone was from a different unit.

The Davs had at least two pairs who were from the same unit.

We did OK on the first wave but lost a bit of steam as the Davs threw their second (and some third) wave mechs at us. Too battered to continue, we withdrew in decent order - re-grouped and went in from two different directions with reinforcements.

When I lost my mech, I think the [APOC] guy took over.

A very good match and hats off to the Davs too for some smack-free, in-your-face combat.

Edit: fixed typos...

Posted Image

Edited by WaiMingLee, 30 March 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#65 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

Took a break and then hooked up with guys from The Brethren [TBRN] - very good unit, had three of them in one lance but haven't dropped with them much. Then some other friendly faces: Warcock [LBGT] and Psychotic Minion [WHM] and some [TCAF] guys too. Sorry no screenshot but we landed on Wei - Grim Portico and attacked it. Coordination was good and we worked well together, despite being unfamiliar with each other. We soon got cozy though ( :lol: ) We ended up 48-17 and then swept up the turrets and Omega for a nice win. Another great example where small House Liao units put aside their ego and work hard at working together to achieve the objectives. I have to say, the in-game voice helped immensely in this match.

Onwards towards Planet Liao (then Tikonov and then swing south towards the Pleiades Cluster) or the map reset - whichever comes first!

WML

Edited by WaiMingLee, 30 March 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#66 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

Side note, Proton is currently EmP, making BSMC somewhat less dangerous :)

#67 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:08 AM

Had a decent run of more CW drops lately and got my Stormcrow too. Am pleased to be still seeing a lot of new faces (well at least to me) in CW as well as small groups of pilots from other Lioa units all joining in. I think the CW event was definitely a success and I have been adding as many unitless House Liao pilots as I can and getting them into drops.

Having said that, the first drop of my run of (I think, 12) drops was with the mighty [TCAF] - we dropped on Boreal Vault, counter-attack and the Tikonov Bad Boys methodically advanced their way through E6 and E7 grids, smashing their way through turret and mech alike, Have to admit that [TCAF] and probably most of Liao tend to ignore the objectives and smash up enemy mechs especially if they're Davion. A decent match as I find Boreal Vault to be quite tough attacking if you're not at all committed and/or coordinated. No danger with [TCAF] though:

Posted Image

Next match, I dropped with some more randoms - was invited to stay with [TCAF] but I had to sort something out so bowed out of their TS Server. I came back about 15 minutes later, went to the lobby and was in a strike team with the 'HOUSE-DAVION-SPY' Vas79 from [APOC] along with one of his companions. The rest of the Strike team was from a unit I have seen but don't know about [F123] and then a final 3 who were unitless. I used the ingame comms but the [F123] guys just set up shop above the two gates in Grim Portico and took out the attackers. The opposition this time did one of two things: either came into the kill-zone one by one or were content to sit back and snipe/missile us from distance. Both tactics failed, though individually, some of the Davions were skillful. So a shout out to our favourite HOUSE-DAVION-SPY: Vas79 and his [APOC] bad boys but hello to [F123] - would love to drop with them some more. Despite the lack of voice communications, each lance did not put the other two lances into difficult positions (i.e. by suicide rushing) but held a line - pushed as a group when needed but could withdraw as well. Who said typing in the Team Chat under fire was difficult? :o

Posted Image

Of course, not everything went House Liao's way during the CW event. We lost plenty too. For me, dropping into the lobby I could see a [TCAF] lance and one pilot each from [4TCR], [TLBT] and [PMP] along with some new chaps not seen before: 'Harloc's Raiders [HR-I] - always good to see new faces. Warcock nominated me as the Drop Commander and with some reservation I got everyone to the gate, and got them stomping through into a hail of fire. Attacking Boreal Vault is never my favourite as everyone knows where you need to go: E6 and E7, the defenders know where you are going and you also know that they know!

Good job by the Davions on this drop, they blunted the first and second waves decisively and along with a bit of smack talk, booted us off the planet in short order. We played badly and I hold my hands up on this:

Posted Image

Of course now, I wanted to 'redeem' myself and got myself back into the lobby pretty quick. By this time, I had some of the previous strike team on one teamspeak server. We grabbed a few more and with just under two lances, went back into the lobby and got the rest of a 12-man. I was pleased to see a lance from [TBRN] who I know from previous drops. Always good to have Pirates on our side! :D

This one was a hot map so pilots changed up accordingly before our first wave landed. The gate breach was successful, we advanced under ECM all the way there and battered the gate down in short order and moved up through the canyon. Taking out the initial wave of Davion defenders, the AFFS fell back and called in reinforcements. However, the Davions did have us pinned: they had UAVs up, spotters and brought in the LRM Rain. We weathered it up until our last ECM was knocked out. We withdrew back out towards the gate and regrouped and pushed back in and managed to make it the first generator before we had to pull back. Our first wave exhausted. The battle was in danger of stalling but the Davions then made a mistake and charged us in single file, I can't believe this was ordered by whoever was the House Davion drop commander: the FedRats held the high ground and had decent lines of fire but no, they came and got slaughtered. Since there was a gap before the reinforcements could roll in, we countered and pushed in - battered or no. Taking out the second generator and holding a firing line around Omega meant that whatever advantage House Davion had soon evaporated:

Posted Image

A good win, I dropped again and found myself with elements of the 4th Tau Ceti Rangers. I also realised that one [TCAF] pilot was with me all the way through night's drop: Azmaat. Am pretty sure he doesn't sleep!

Dropping on Hellebore Springs is always a tricky one: there are only two options for attack and once you're committed to one - due to the distance involved, you can't just switch to attack through the second gate. So we stayed together, focused targets and battered our way through. The Davion's had one lance from [PL] who put up a very good fight - they did most of the damage and probably coordinated the rest. Hats off to them but once we took them out completely, the rest was a straightforward mop-up and with time to spare we hunted down the last House Davion mech. This meant that the Orbital canon was left defenceless making it an easy capture.

I was introduced to a couple of new units: [FRAG] and [INTEX] ; they went into the address book too!
Posted Image

The above was just a snapshot of the CW drops I had. I didn't do any public drops this time around (sorry Modred!) and with population numbers high right across the board, it was pretty easy and quick to get into a lobby and into a strike team. Fair play to the Davions for also having numbers to defend/attack. Each match, I could only recognise one name amongst the 12 facing us, so the Davions are rotating a lot of new players/units through. Am definitely seeing some quality units there too and with House Liao focused on one front, there's always action. Of course, this will probably bode well for House Davion in the long term: they have new players and units in the pipeline.

Once again, I was impressed with the level of skill and focus at the lance level for House Liao. Only once was I in a group that was more or less homogenous (apart from me) so being in a mixed unit AND doing well, consistently was very pleasing and encouraging. This also bodes well for House Liao and I hope some of the new units I saw stick with Liao and continue our campaign. We had zero smack, hardly any complaints when it didn't go well but lots of constructive criticism that should be used to learn and build upon.

Thank you all House Liao - I got my stormcrow, a pot of C-bills, Davion Kills and near doubling of my address book. Be seeing you all on the battlefield. There's a war to be won.

WML

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users