#1 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

Stalker
Banshee
King Crab

All these 3 mechs are in general more viable then the Victors and Highlanders under the current meta but get even more and better quirks. Why? Because Highlanders and Victors have useless HoverJets™ that take 1 min to refill after use?

I usually score double as high with my Stormcrows compared to my Victor-DS. This keeps me away from buying other hero mechs or mechs in general with MCs.

Edited by xe N on, 22 February 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#2 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:12 AM

Victors are pretty effective right now, not sure they need more help,

Highlanders kinda suck. The 2 ton JJs that cant lift the damn thing even with 4 of them on there is a good place to start. Weapon hardpoints aren't terrible but PPCs overall are pretty bad and the HGN suffers for it. I've been running mine as SRM brawlers and they do OK but not great.

#3 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostClydewinder, on 22 February 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Victors are pretty effective right now, not sure they need more help,

My Stormcrow say otherwise.

The only Victors that are semi-viable are AC20 STD-engine builds. Everything else is just a class-cannon but without cannon, because clan assault mechs but even IS mechs got more firepower.

Hell, even my Thunderbolt 9S after nerf is better then my Victor-DS.

PS:

My stormcrow is equipped with 1 gauss and 4-5 c-erml. In contrast to the ppcs the range is around 140 meter shorter, however ...

1) my alpha is much higher (almost double as high, 50 compared to 35)
2) no convergence problems since lasers are instant and unquirked PPCs are slow as hell
3) it is 107 kph fast
4) it's a medium, 25 ton lighter
5) Clan-XL ... much more survivable.

So, my 55 ton Stormcrow is in fact the better Victor lol

Edited by xe N on, 22 February 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#4 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

I have a feeling they will get some love when they do the mobility+stuff quirk pass

...that is my hope, anyways, 'cause really that's what they need IMO

#5 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:39 AM

Victor would needs quirks like

15% ballistic cooldown
-15% energy heat generation
+15 RT/LT armor
+20% ppc speed

That would bring it in line with clan mechs.

#6 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:06 AM

They don't need quirks.. they need their freaking JJ's back.

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

It's probably punishment against them for being the best mechs available like 2 years ago. They haven't forgiven or forgotten.

#8 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostFupDup, on 22 February 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

It's probably punishment against them for being the best mechs available like 2 years ago. They haven't forgiven or forgotten.

If further proof of this is needed, just look at the poor poor Catapult, King of the era before Jumptards.

#9 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:29 AM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 22 February 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

If further proof of this is needed, just look at the poor poor Catapult, King of the era before Jumptards.

What's sad about the Cat is that, IMO, the Cat itself was never truly good. It only seemed good because sometimes missiles were so overpowered that they could cover it up (i.e. mega splash damage SRMs allowed it to kill an Atlas in 1-2 salvos, CT-seeking Streaks, various Lurmageddon episodes, etc.).

If we take away the previous missile balancing issues, the Cat is just a somewhat poorly scaled heavy with bad hitboxes and mediocre hardpoints (the A1 and C4 in particular are bleh).

#10 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

View PostFupDup, on 22 February 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

You forgot about them Ravens.

Oversized chicken leg hitboxes. Primarily good now for nom nom nom most of the time. :P

#11 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

I tweeted to Russ about the Raven and Cicada legs, but he hasn't responded.

I guess twitter is about as useful as these forums.

#12 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostMister D, on 22 February 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

I tweeted to Russ about the Raven and Cicada legs, but he hasn't responded.

I guess twitter is about as useful as these forums.

Remind them about the Gargles still having a "huge" movement archetype and Flamers. A year ago... Russ was going to "address" flamers with the intro the the Firestarters. The Firestarters were great... the Flamers were left untouched.

Good times.

#13 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

Death to the Victor!

I hate them.

highlanders can have some help.

#14 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

I think they should make the Victor the agile assault. Turn rate, torso twist, and acceleration. And perhaps give it a JJ quirk that boosts it's acceleration, but increase time to recharge.

Edited by Tezcatli, 22 February 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#15 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:34 PM

Approximately 3 months ago I was looking for an Assault Chassis to pick up so I could field each weight class for CW.
When I saw the Highlander and read about the "Highlander Burial" on the sarna wiki I knew I had found what I was looking for:
Moblility in an Assault mech!

I´ll sum up my experiences with it:

1. Highlanders have become rare, to the point where other players even comment on the fact that they haven´t seen one in a long time. If I play ca. 50 matches a week I encounter another highlander about 1 or 2 times in 2 weeks.

2. The Highlander is not a good brawler or zombie. Long range fire support is the better choice due to its hitboxes, hardpoints and size.

3. The quirks are a mixed bag:
-the general buff to leg structure is fitting and useful to have, rarely am I ever even close to loosing a leg
-the HGN-733 and HGN-732 have almost identical quirks, both enjoying light general buffs to all weapon types
and an added incentive to use their respective trademark weapon (the AC-10/Gaussrifle). Again they are fitting.
-the 733C´s quirks are strange: the only Highlander with 2 ballistic slots gets encouraged not to use them and mount one AC-20 which puts him much too close to the enemy for its own good. No other quirks are given. I ditched that variant ASAP and am using the 732 and 733 exclusively
-I can´t say anything about the Heavy Metal since I never owned one (although I like the hardpoint distribution) or the 733P since when back the it only featured Laser quirks and thats not what I would put in a Highlander (so I ignored it completely)
The 733P´s new quirks look lackluster to me.

4. While the JJ´s are definitely still useful, I find their actual use rather tedious. Don´t get me wrong, I am okay with the shaking (it adds something for me to the experience) or the fact that they build up heat. I´m glad that poptarting is no longer that easy.
BUT it seems to me that all maps where designed with a stronger thrust and jumping height in mind!
I have learned all the little tricks in climbing canyon walls on canyon (You need a little ledge to "grab" on to and huff and puff like a fat man for 30 seconds before you can finish your ascend) but simply jumping over a chasm or up a ledge conveniently is not possible.
Currently the Highlander´s JJs allow it to soften falls and climb awkwardly when no one is looking, no more.

TL;DR: Mech is okay in general, quirks might need a little finetuning, boost the rockets

#16 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostMister D, on 22 February 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

They don't need quirks.. they need their freaking JJ's back.

They could get quirks that improve their jump jets o.o

#17 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

When I tweeted that I spent $$ for an Urban mech, then he answered :D
<3 ya Russ, but comon man..

https://twitter.com/...591318462078977

Edited by Mister D, 22 February 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#18 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:01 PM

I loved my highlanders for awhile. Not for the poptarting, but for the fact that they were maneuverable assaults that good get good firing positions and spread damage.

The poptarting comp teams ruined the victor and highlander for everybody. Now regular players can't enjoy the benefits of jumpjets in heavies or assaults because it has to be balanced against the 2% of the player population that will take those characteristics and poptart all match, every match.

So next post you see where one of the comp guys talk about balance, skill, elo, etc., remind them that their behavior ruined several mechs for lots of paying customers.

#19 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

View PostFupDup, on 22 February 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

What's sad about the Cat is that, IMO, the Cat itself was never truly good. It only seemed good because sometimes missiles were so overpowered that they could cover it up (i.e. mega splash damage SRMs allowed it to kill an Atlas in 1-2 salvos, CT-seeking Streaks, various Lurmageddon episodes, etc.).

If we take away the previous missile balancing issues, the Cat is just a somewhat poorly scaled heavy with bad hitboxes and mediocre hardpoints (the A1 and C4 in particular are bleh).

Same could be said about the Phract, it just happened to have the right combination of ballistic and energy on top of JJs. It has terrible hitboxes and really low non-torso mounts and without those JJs being good, will probably stay bad.

#20 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:08 PM

We have jumpjets like wet farts because PGI reacted wrongly to poptarting. If people shooting while jumping is the issue then the shooting mechanic while jumping is all that needs to change, rather than removing jumping as a useful ability.
People complained of motion sickness when they added shake, and the complaints were increased by butthurt poptarts jumping on the bandwagon, so it's understandable that PGI reduced the shake again- but they needed to simply make weapon fire deviate without the visual effect or something similar rather than stop us jumping properly. As it is now jets are most useful for poptarting where you just need to hop your shoulders up from behind something, but really bad for anything else like climbing and general mobility for flanking or surprise attacks. That's the opposite of how things should be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users