Balance BattleMechs

55 replies to this topic

#21 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:11 PM

The HGN HM used to have weapon quirks for the AC5 and they should have left them

Hoverjets killed it.

#22 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

The problem is really that both mechs, victor and highlander, are outperformed in every aspect by other assault mechs or even by heavies.

#23 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:19 AM

/signed

Don't own Highlanders, but Vics need a little lovin. Just a little... ST armour imo, and would also love some agility boon.

#24 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:19 AM

Agreed, the poptart crew all of a sudden claimed epilepsy when they tried to get rid of their favored mode of play by introducing shake to the camera. For over a year all we heard was that it was the least risk/reward and the most skillful play, while it drove away countless people during the last nine months of 2013 and first part of 2014.

View PostOtto Cannon, on 22 February 2015 - 04:08 PM, said:

We have jumpjets like wet farts because PGI reacted wrongly to poptarting. If people shooting while jumping is the issue then the shooting mechanic while jumping is all that needs to change, rather than removing jumping as a useful ability.
People complained of motion sickness when they added shake, and the complaints were increased by butthurt poptarts jumping on the bandwagon, so it's understandable that PGI reduced the shake again- but they needed to simply make weapon fire deviate without the visual effect or something similar rather than stop us jumping properly. As it is now jets are most useful for poptarting where you just need to hop your shoulders up from behind something, but really bad for anything else like climbing and general mobility for flanking or surprise attacks. That's the opposite of how things should be.

#25 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

View PostUrsh, on 23 February 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Agreed, the poptart crew all of a sudden claimed epilepsy when they tried to get rid of their favored mode of play by introducing shake to the camera. For over a year all we heard was that it was the least risk/reward and the most skillful play, while it drove away countless people during the last nine months of 2013 and first part of 2014.

Epilepsy is real. People get carsick, seasick, and a host of other things. Whether you agree to their existence is another matter altogether.

Just because you don't experience these things, it doesn't mean someone you know hasn't.

#26 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

View PostClydewinder, on 22 February 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Victors are pretty effective right now, not sure they need more help,

That's probably why you see them everywhere in game...

Posted Image

#27 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

I see at least one every time I play.

#28 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:37 PM

victors and highlanders got nerfed for a reason

people abused the hell out of them

you reap what you sow

#29 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

you reap what you sow

I am reaping a seed I have never sown...
Punishing every pilot of a chassis for other players actions is a quite terrifying logic.

#30 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

View PostUrsh, on 23 February 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

There are two types of people that complained about poptarting. The first group, is made up of people who were tired of the same boring game play. Literally, if you wanted to be 100% effective, you took a poptarter with a 30-35 damage FLD alpha, and people want to play more than the same few mechs and still be effective.

The second type is full of people who were generally bad at poptarting. All the people I know who complained about poptarting all the time were just not good at it. It requires aiming on target in a short amount of time, as the line of fire is only available for a limited amount of time. In all honesty, poptarting to its full potential is actually very difficult to do, and you had players who could do it to different degrees of effectiveness. Nowadays, it is simply not effective enough to try to make it work, so there are plenty of other options that are more effective over all, and laser vomit has really taken off as the next great thing.

View PostKhobai, on 24 February 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

victors and highlanders got nerfed for a reason

people abused the hell out of them

you reap what you sow

Abused?

I would say "used" instead. I see no abuse.

Being a proponent of nerfing PPCs into uselessness yourself though, would you say PPCs were "abused" as well?

#31 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:44 PM

View PostClydewinder, on 24 February 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

I see at least one every time I play.

You must be in a really high or low elo bracket, because they don't seem to exist much in the middle part of the bell curve.

#32 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 25 February 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

You must be in a really high or low elo bracket, because they don't seem to exist much in the middle part of the bell curve.

Yeah I see one once in a while in CW. Most of the time though the view is of the inside of the Victor's cockpit..

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 25 February 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#33 Slow and Decrepit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 525 posts
  • LocationBelen, the Mosquito Capital of NM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:10 PM

What they both need is the one thing that gives the clan mechs their durability- a engine that can lose a torso and still keep on fighting. I say either boost the ST armor +15-20 or just give them the ability to mount a LFE. Just about every IS heavy and most assults really need that engine to level the playing field. While having more energy hardpoints would be nice, it doesn't really help because if you're in a Victor and a clan mech just looks at you and you're cored, and the 2nd time you're dead! Torso twisting might buy you a 3rd glance. :(

#34 Slow and Decrepit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

The other problem is the lack of firepower. It causes more face time and therefore really points out the 1st problem!

#35 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:34 PM

Guess you shouldn't have abused the mechs by jump-sniping...backfiring isn't it? You reap what you sow....

Edited by Coolant, 25 February 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#36 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

View PostCoolant, on 25 February 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

Guess you shouldn't have abused the mechs by jump-sniping...backfiring isn't it? You reap what you sow....

AbUsing a low risk/high reward tactic available through game mechanics that isn't exploitative of glitches is less a player problem and more a design team problem.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 25 February 2015 - 06:38 PM.

#37 Slow and Decrepit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:42 PM

I do see a Vic once or twice an evening, that's about 5-6 hours of playing time. I've also noticed the the Vic almost never survives to the end. In fact, I'll go as far to say that the Vic usually dies about midway thru the match. Highlanders last almost to the end, and seem to last a lot longer when I play them. I'm quite sure that's due to the fact that they have more armor.

View PostCoolant, on 25 February 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

Your barking up the wrong tree bud. I never pop-tarted, ALL of my Victors are brawlers and always have been, so you can take your hate elsewhere!

Edited by beleneagle, 25 February 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#38 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

I hated pop tarting but you can deal with it. Now a whole team poptarting was silly. Honestly I could destroy people with my Highlanders using them as mobile brawlers. Jump jetting over people and doing some death from aboves even though it's not really a tactic. But when I can shoot my feet while you can't aim high enough it worked.

They need jump jest restored for heavy and assaults. Lights jumping like superman was a little silly though.

pop tarding was mostly due to the PPC buffs, now they've been nerfed back to fairly normal levels we can get jumpjets back.

#39 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:55 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 25 February 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

LOL what I meant is that I run one quite often.

VTR-9K is one of my best mechs, stat-wise.

#40 Slow and Decrepit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

View PostClydewinder, on 25 February 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

LOL what I meant is that I run one quite often.

VTR-9K is one of my best mechs, stat-wise.

If you don't mind me asking, how many JJ's are you running on your 9K?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users