The Problem

80 replies to this topic

#41 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

View PostSoy, on 28 February 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

It was a lot of fun, gave the game more risk vs reward based on what mech you played, and gave the game a sense of immersion.

Whiners cried about it and it was removed, and seeing as how PGI can't make an actual persistent state universe for us to interact with CW, instead making it a grind, perhaps taking out R&R helps lower the grind of this game, but that's not a legit reason.

You people cry about everything.

If this game had some sort of risk vs reward, dictated by logistics and R&R, there might be actual intrigue to the superficial joke that CW currently is.

nah dogg, everyone would just make less money while using the tactics that are proven to work. i guess if grind is immersion, then maybe

#42 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

View PostAn Anime Princess, on 28 February 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

nah dogg, everyone would just make less money while using the tactics that are proven to work. i guess if grind is immersion, then maybe

If someone is shunned to not pilot a mech cuz they make 50k less cbills per round, then risk vs reward just happened. Which is a good thing.

I fail to see how the game, being already an unabashed grind, would suffer from putting in a mechanic that could work in various ways to provide more immersion.

CW could have several mechanics, functioning off of just basic R&R / logistics concepts.

The game needs more of that stuff for players to hedge risk vs reward upon.. and less blatant special olympics grinding.

But seeing as how people cry about stuff like a free Adder, this community has no hope of getting their priorities straight for a meaningful and deeper game experience.

Edited by Soy, 28 February 2015 - 06:20 PM.

#43 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:35 PM

if i want an immersive experience with regards to logistics, i can play Arma III or Jagged Alliance 2, but i boot up this game to roll over idiots with gleeful abandon, and the vast, vast majority of players also do this. PGI are going to make decisions where the money is, and the money is in instant gratification, for which i am hella thankful.

don't take this as an insult but i'm glad this game is an easy pick up/put down kind of experience

#44 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

View PostAn Anime Princess, on 28 February 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

if i want an immersive experience with regards to logistics, i can play Arma III or Jagged Alliance 2, but i boot up this game to roll over idiots with gleeful abandon, and the vast, vast majority of players also do this. PGI are going to make decisions where the money is, and the money is in instant gratification, for which i am hella thankful.

don't take this as an insult but i'm glad this game is an easy pick up/put down kind of experience

That is the exact opposite of how it should be, in terms of immersion. You mean to tell me some random **** game with zero lore behind it immerses you more than a game with more books written about it than you could read in an entire year if you did nothing but eat, sleep, ****, and read?

It's ridiculous!

I'm glad the game is viable in a '15 min quick sitdown session' way as well, but good grief. I guess if you play it long enough you'll get what I'm saying... being this superficial, particular hollow CW, does the Battletech universe practically no justice.

Edited by Soy, 01 March 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#45 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

It's a real shame that PGI hasn't really done anything with the lore.

#46 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

View PostSoy, on 01 March 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

That is the exact opposite of how it should be, in terms of immersion. You mean to tell me some random **** game with zero lore behind it immerses you more than a game with more books written about it than you could read in an entire year if you did nothing but eat, sleep, ****, and read?

re: arma, the gameplay is immersive (in the right crowd) without me needing to read a single word of some pulp space opera. i don't want to read any of the battletech books because the few i thumbed through were really bad, but the giant robot stampy game is fun and cool.

#47 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

Yeah... MWO should have some of that lore in the game... particularly, CW... the fact that some trash like Arma immerses you more than the unused BT universe at large is a shame...

#48 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:56 PM

View PostSoy, on 01 March 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Yeah... MWO should have some of that lore in the game... particularly, CW... the fact that some trash like Arma immerses you more than the unused BT universe at large is a shame...

the gameplay is cool and immersive with a good crew and its fun to pretend to be military idiots for an hour or so. i dont care about the stories of rich and famous families or pseudo-tribals in the battletech universe. historically some of it is pretty neat but on the actual paperback level it does nothing for me

#49 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:58 PM

Nobody said anything about stupid ******* stories.

It's an entire universe that's being unused.

Hello?

Edited by Soy, 01 March 2015 - 05:58 PM.

#50 Onionbird

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:03 PM

View PostSoy, on 01 March 2015 - 05:58 PM, said:

Nobody said anything about stupid ******* stories.

It's an entire universe that's being unused.

Hello?

dog, your font sizes are extremely triggering.

also it's only one galaxy, not the entire universe

#51 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:03 PM

that seems like an awfully broad definition, friend

#52 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

So does calling players "pretend military idiots"

We're even then, eh? -.-

ps - that dude who liked his own post 2 up... just lol xD

Edited by Soy, 01 March 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#53 Punnisher

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostAn Anime Princess, on 01 March 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

re: arma, the gameplay is immersive (in the right crowd) without me needing to read a single word of some pulp space opera. i don't want to read any of the battletech books because the few i thumbed through were really bad, but the giant robot stampy game is fun and cool.

hmm.. let me guess... some of the crap that happened around the jihad era crap and the bs that followed?

#54 Taisa Sodai Lopez Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:53 AM

PGI did try the whole "accurate lore day-by-day" thing way back in closed beta. They stopped after a while seemingly because doing something like that is a huge pain to keep up.

Repairs were already removed from the game, so don't expect to see them pop up again.

Also games like Arma play their cards right and don't need a mountain of backstory to be immersive. Its a thing called "atmosphere".

#55 Koshirou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 827 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:45 AM

PGI wouldn't even try and use the lore when it could be employed for game balancing, such as with 12 vs. 10 (and less relative nerfs for Clan Mechs, dear pitchfork-wielding Clan players) so I wouldn't expect them to give the lore any consideration just to make the game more immersive.

#56 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:46 AM

View PostKoshirou, on 02 March 2015 - 04:45 AM, said:

PGI wouldn't even try and use the lore when it could be employed for game balancing, such as with 12 vs. 10 (and less relative nerfs for Clan Mechs, dear pitchfork-wielding Clan players) so I wouldn't expect them to give the lore any consideration just to make the game more immersive.

We tried that, it showed pretty clearly that it didnt make a difference as much as the level of player skill. It got worse when the higher skill players were on IS, snowballing very quickly.

#57 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:47 AM

Immersion comes from the feeling of being there, on the battlefield or in the fantasy elf court or standing on the bridge of the mighty starship or on the playing field scoring the winning goal for god and country. It has nothing to do with background and lore, but with how the actual game is presented. Soy sound like bad DM

#58 eSeifer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationLiao

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

If you want zero lore and nothing but a 15 min sit down of "big stompy robots" might I suggest action figures and stop taking your ADD medication.

So much fail in this thread.

+1 Up the lore.

#59 MahKraah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 192 posts
  • LocationSaffel Dierondistrict

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

as much as i like and play the battletechlore , calling arma 3 trash....... you lost me here

#60 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostAn Anime Princess, on 01 March 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

the gameplay is cool and immersive with a good crew and its fun to pretend to be military idiots for an hour or so. i dont care about the stories of rich and famous families or pseudo-tribals in the battletech universe. historically some of it is pretty neat but on the actual paperback level it does nothing for me

You cannot pretend to be a "military idiot" because this game has little to do with the military just like a lot of games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users