Cooee, New Obviously

21 replies to this topic

#1 Taradele

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Confederation

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:22 AM

3 day old, I should add, my account age and how I have been playing.

I am a devout Citizen of the Confederation (planet of origin is Boardwalk) and have been playing MechWarrior (and most of its variants for almost three (3) decades. My favourite in the book series would have to be 'The Legend of the Jade Phoenix' trilogy and James D. Long's two novels, 'Main Event" and "D.R.T."

Since playing, MechWarrior 2: mercenaries is my favourite of all MW games and the CRB-27 Crab in particular holds a special place in my heart, so I am a great scout and recon 'Mech, despite the Crab being in the Medium weight range.

However enough of my back history...

Since i am new here and there is no Crab (hopefully only a matter of time) since I am more accustomed to the scouting role, but used to Medium 'Mechs, could anyone the best 'Mech in the Medium range you think would be good (jjump jets preferred but not optional) or f someone could drop in a few missions/campaigns wth me, show me the ropes, I would very much appreciate it.

One last thing, since I am the greenest of the green pilots here (not having played any MechWarrior games like this or or the original MechWarrior 2 trilogy in over ten years, I doubt there is chance of me asking if i apply to become of a unit? I have only been playing MWO for 3, almost 4 days, I have gotten the hang of it rather welll. Not as good as experienced players, wooth years under their belt, but if I could be allowed in a Unit of the Confederation and we all make Drop together as much as we can, I can you prove to you my loyalty and honour to our Excellency, Sun-Tzu Liao.

P.S. - I know my player name is Taradele, please call me 'Mooat" as a call sign if you like.

#2 Gonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOdessa, Ukraine

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:51 AM

Nice to meet you!
What is your prime-time? Choose a unit from this topic and join it.

#3 Orkdung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 296 posts
  • LocationCCAF Sian

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:02 AM

Welcome!

Romano, though, holds the Chancellors title thus far. *bows*

#4 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Sian

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:07 AM

Welcome to House Liao. Now get into a drop lance and take it to the DavDogs.

#5 Sparkymarkyp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:36 AM

Welcome!
Medium mechs eh?
My personal favourites from my collection are
Hunckback 4sp... Upgrade engine...srms and med laser
Great brawler.
Shadowhawks...all good, my fav is 5M as it can mount more JJs. Fly's like Superman
Vindicator 1aa... Not long brought this and its amazing...fast can jump like a basketball player and not a bad weapons load...needs lots of cbills spent to get it up to fighting standard...endo steel etc but worth it IMO. Plus its Liao mech.

See you out there!

#6 ShiroganeTakeru

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMaskirovka hideout

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:29 AM

Hello, comrade. You can get he knowlende of 'mech and configurations and decide which one suits you better from this places:
http://snafets.de/mwo/quirks.htm
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified
https://www.mechspecs.com/
I recommend you to start with Hunchbacks (due to very simple usage and good quirks) or Blackjacks (five tons tiner but with JJ). Also, there is Vindicators here, they are good but you have to master PPC usage before going them. OR you can spend your money on some clantech like Ryoken aka Stormcrow.

#7 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:58 AM

Welcome back to the world of MechWarrior!

If you like mediums and scouting then I highly recommend Cicadas. They're fast and can do a fair amount of damage in the right hands. As others have already recommended, check out smurfy ( http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab ) to play around with builds. Personally, I'd put the biggest XL engine and ECM in the CDA 3M.

Other good starting mediums are Hunchbacks and Centurions but I like them better as skirmishers and harassers than as scouts. None of these guys have jumpjets, though.

If you want, friend me in the game. If our prime playing hours line up, I'd be happy to play some games and answer any questions.

Again, welcome and hail the Chancellor!

Edited by DrRedCoat, 24 February 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#8 Zvolimir the Blackhand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 388 posts
  • LocationThe Forbidden Zone

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

Taradele - House Liao Gatekeepers happily accepts green pilots. We have a certification training program designed to bring raw recruits up to a competition level, and regular training sessions. You can find all pertinent information in my signature, or simply check out the HLGK Recruitment Nexus.

#9 Taradele

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

Cheers all, for your kind welcome and over the next while, I will check out the links and everything you have provided for me here; just a bit of a hard time at home right now that leaves me unable to play as much as I would like to, but sadly, it cannot be helped. Still, while I am online, I will do what I can to bring glory and honour to the House of Liao. ^^

View PostSparkymarkyp, on 24 February 2015 - 05:36 AM, said:

Welcome!
Medium mechs eh?
My personal favourites from my collection are
Hunckback 4sp... Upgrade engine...srms and med laser
Great brawler.
Shadowhawks...all good, my fav is 5M as it can mount more JJs. Fly's like Superman
Vindicator 1aa... Not long brought this and its amazing...fast can jump like a basketball player and not a bad weapons load...needs lots of cbills spent to get it up to fighting standard...endo steel etc but worth it IMO. Plus its Liao mech.

See you out there!

Yep, Medium 'Mechs are perhaps my favourite; despite lacking a bit in the armour department and limited weapons capacity, I like the speed and scouting has always been something I have been good at in MW games, but also I do not mind the Shadow Hawk, however I am still tossing up if i should get that one or go for something in the Heavy class, load t out with uac5's or uac10s and I'll be laughing.

View PostDrRedCoat, on 24 February 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

Welcome back to the world of MechWarrior!

If you like mediums and scouting then I highly recommend Cicadas. They're fast and can do a fair amount of damage in the right hands. As others have already recommended, check out smurfy ( http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab ) to play around with builds. Personally, I'd put the biggest XL engine and ECM in the CDA 3M.

Other good starting mediums are Hunchbacks and Centurions but I like them better as skirmishers and harassers than as scouts. None of these guys have jumpjets, though.

If you want, friend me in the game. If our prime playing hours line up, I'd be happy to play some games and answer any questions.

Again, welcome and hail the Chancellor!

Thanks. I thought of getting the Cicada, but it's armour and weapons are just not to my style. Although I do not have much experience piloting Cicadas, I might give it a try, just to see how the 'Mech feels on some of the cap campaigns.

#10 BlakeAteIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

You might like the Cicada - It's the fastest medium, and can be built into quite a thing. Try out all the trial 'mechs and see what appeals to you in this game - the balance is a little different.

#11 Taradele

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:13 PM

View PostBlakeAteIt, on 24 February 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

You might like the Cicada - It's the fastest medium, and can be built into quite a thing. Try out all the trial 'mechs and see what appeals to you in this game - the balance is a little different.

Yep, when i get back from what i have to do today, one of the first things I am going to try out is the Cicada. I never really thought of it as much of a 'Mech, but it is true what they must say, looks can be deceiving.
Even if it's not the right 'Mech for me, it will at least to help hone my skills for some of the other Light 'Mechs I have my eye on (but can't yet afford)

Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions, everyone. :-)

#12 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

I'd actually suggest the Wolverine-6K if you liked the Crab.

It's quirked strongly towards energy weapons, especially large lasers, is mobile and (edit) SOME members of the Wolverine family are jump capable, and can take as much punishment as it gets for a medium.

Cicadas are a light 'Mech masquerading as a medium.

Edited by wanderer, 24 February 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#13 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:39 PM

If scouting and gangland killing is your thing I would second the Cicada. The 3M for the ECM and the 2B for the 5 med pulse lasers. Both are currently in my drop deck. They are lightning quick as well as good cripple killers.

#14 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:29 PM

I'd say for newer players don't go for the meta because it's too much to learn in the beginning.

Positioning and movement are more basic and I'd say more important than weapons, quirks and whatever. In that sense Cicada is a good choice because it allows for mobility and it can take a little more damage than lights. Once a player advances, then weapon characteristics, heat management, and more complex subjects can be learned gradually.

#15 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

View Postwanderer, on 24 February 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

I'd actually suggest the Wolverine-6K if you liked the Crab.

It's quirked strongly towards energy weapons, especially large lasers, is mobile and jump capable, and can take as much punishment as it gets for a medium.

Cicadas are a light 'Mech masquerading as a medium.

Wolverines and Carb ?? Two different beasts really.

Anyway I believe IS now has a CW tonnage boost of +10 tons.
Those who have issues piloting lighter mechs, should utilise it.

#16 Taradele

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:31 PM

Just as an update, I ended up buying a Locust; not the best of 'Mechs in the Light Class, but I am far out of practice with using Light 'Mechs (the last was a Fire Moth in MW:2 Mercenaries just about 20 years ago now)
Not that i care much for it, just use it to practice light scout skills again, then probably sell it for something I am more familiar with and better armaments when I find the perfect Medium 'Mech for a scout (like the CRB-27 Crab is great for).

(not that I want the CRB-27 Crab introduced into the game, mind :-p *hint Hint* devs :-p)

#17 Taradele

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:44 AM

View PostGonta, on 24 February 2015 - 03:51 AM, said:

Nice to meet you!
What is your prime-time? Choose a unit from this topic and join it.

I am not too sure about those Units, knowing nothing of their history or members, and while I can get a little history about them from the wiki's, it is the pilot unknown that I am unsure about. Maybe if you could give one or three of a reference as to what they are like working together?

#18 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Sian

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:14 AM

View PostTaradele, on 26 February 2015 - 02:44 AM, said:

I am not too sure about those Units, knowing nothing of their history or members, and while I can get a little history about them from the wiki's, it is the pilot unknown that I am unsure about. Maybe if you could give one or three of a reference as to what they are like working together?

Best thing Taradele is to add as many House Liao pilots to your friendlist, get onto the same TS server and then drop with them. You will find that (like most houses) there are many pilots who are not interested in the lore let alone the RP and just want to smash robots together! If you want more ingame RP; that can be catered too. I would recommend [HLGK] for that.

Good luck, hope to see you soon.

WML

#19 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:04 AM

View PostShinVector, on 24 February 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

Wolverines and Carb ?? Two different beasts really.

Anyway I believe IS now has a CW tonnage boost of +10 tons.
Those who have issues piloting lighter mechs, should utilise it.

Umm...no, weight limit is still 240 tons.

#20 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

The drop deck for Clan vs IS will be changing, but IS vs IS will remain the same- IS units facing Clanners are getting a +10 tonnage limit now, but IS vs IS or Clan vs Clan is unchanged.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users