14 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:45 AM

I recently acquired a copy of the Star Wars Dark Forces game, updated to work on a modern computer. When I was younger, I wanted to play said game and was looking forward to it. Now that I am involved with more modern games, it was a harsh step into the past upon seeing the older graphics. Some of these older games, while fun, make you realize just how far computer graphics have come in the gaming world. :)

#2 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:48 AM

But I'm sure you are relishing the superior older gameplay and wishing to yourself that newer games weren't so dumbed down and made for idiots like they are now. I play older games all the time and frankly, have more fun playing them, too.

#3 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 24 February 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

But I'm sure you are relishing the superior older gameplay and wishing to yourself that newer games weren't so dumbed down and made for idiots like they are now. I play older games all the time and frankly, have more fun playing them, too.

There are some very difficult and nuanced games being made today. They just don't become blockbuster hits like Call of Battleduty: Medal of Recon.

#4 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:58 AM

View PostVoivode, on 24 February 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

There are some very difficult and nuanced games being made today. They just don't become blockbuster hits like Call of Battleduty: Medal of Recon.

There are but they are rare. Dark Souls is one of the exceptions.

#5 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:27 AM

Indeed. If you enjoy Strategy Games in the styling of Steel Panthers or the Panzer/Allied/Axis/Pacific General games then check out the (stupidly generically named) Men of War: Assault Squad 2. Great strategy game that emphasizes combat and real strategy instead of base building and resource gathering.

I know, I know, it has almost exactly the kind of name as some of the games I was just making fun of :lol:

#6 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

View PostVoivode, on 24 February 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

Indeed. If you enjoy Strategy Games in the styling of Steel Panthers

God... I'd forgotten Steel Panthers....

I was one of the play-testers on the free to play Steel Panthers World at War when "Wild" Bill Wilder was heading up the project for Matrix games. I was even in the game at the time. There was a scenario called "The Matrix Moves Out". Just look for an M3 Stuart named "Darlin' Wendy". My name's listed as the tank commander.

Now I've got to go back and dig through my stuff and see if I can find it and get it running again. I spent SO many hours on the various Steel Panthers games.

#7 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:08 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 24 February 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

There are but they are rare. Dark Souls is one of the exceptions.

The mainstream thinks that games like crysis 2 and 3 are very difficult. EA came out not too long ago and expressed that they feel many of their titles are 'too hard,' too.

It's all relative, man. Having sat through some call of duty and battlefield games recently, I see where they're coming from.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 25 February 2015 - 06:10 AM.

#8 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 25 February 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

The mainstream thinks that games like crysis 2 and 3 are very difficult. EA came out not too long ago and expressed that they feel many of their titles are 'too hard,' too.

It's all relative, man. Having sat through some call of duty and battlefield games recently, I see where they're coming from.

You played through a Call of Duty? I'm sorry.

#9 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 24 February 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

Truth, Because of the Majora's Mask remake I've been replying a lot of the older classics.

There is a lot gamers take for granted today, and its pretty amazing.

View PostVassago Rain, on 25 February 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

Wait, Crysis 2 was hard? Or considered hard?

I'm only decent at shooters and that game did have some challenging moments, but i didn't think of it as hard.

#10 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostMason West, on 25 February 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

Wait, Crysis 2 was hard? Or considered hard?

I'm only decent at shooters and that game did have some challenging moments, but i didn't think of it as hard.

Apparently, it's really, really hard. I want to know how EA's target audience would deal with something like megaman 1.

#11 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:59 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 25 February 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

Apparently, it's really, really hard. I want to know how EA's target audience would deal with something like megaman 1.

Really? Its a cool game, i like playing through it again every once in a while but i don't think its hard.

I think this game is hard (I play stupid mechs so its kinda my fault though)

#12 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:32 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 25 February 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

I think a large part of EA's target audience who thinks that the new CoD games are hard would also be challenged by such difficult titles like Excel or Word.

#13 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:12 AM

View PostKalimaster, on 24 February 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

I recently acquired a copy of the Star Wars Dark Forces game, updated to work on a modern computer. When I was younger, I wanted to play said game and was looking forward to it. Now that I am involved with more modern games, it was a harsh step into the past upon seeing the older graphics. Some of these older games, while fun, make you realize just how far computer graphics have come in the gaming world. :)

the issue often also is the screen size. play them in windowed size and especially older 800x600 games suddenly look a lot better. I cna still run "the settlers" and unless you would have it fullcreen it looks simple in its graphic, bit still beautiful. But when a game meant to be played on 480x360 wants to be stretched to 16xx x yyyy it results in something really ugly.

View PostRushin Roulette, on 26 February 2015 - 12:32 AM, said:

I think a large part of EA's target audience who thinks that the new CoD games are hard would also be challenged by such difficult titles like Excel or Word.

the sad thing about this is, that it is unfortunately true.

there are only two games in my life that i probably dropped because I though they are too hard, that was "Mayday" and "KKND2"

but then I was like 13 or such, so could be totally different when I play them nowdays.

Edited by Lily from animove, 26 February 2015 - 02:16 AM.

#14 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

I enjoyed DOOM 2, however I really don't care for the original DOOM.

#15 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:57 PM

None of you are anything until you've beaten Chip's Challenge.

Including every Level Pack.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users