Maps

16 replies to this topic

#1 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:31 AM

we need MAOR MAPS!!!
Spoiler

I know PGI is busy developing more content so i decided to drop some ideas, hope they help :)
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thoughts?

#2 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

Ok so:
1st one i see a CPU on a motherboard.
2nd one i see a strange garage-door with black windows and handle on the right
3rd one i see a scanner of a stomach
4th is the easiest, it's an elephant head shaking
5th i see a star! Migh also be some sick and really tight a-hole with those strange coloured dots, not sure.

What, it's not a rorschach test?
Damn...

Edited by XtremWarrior, 25 February 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#3 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:05 AM

While this certainly isnt a new and refreshing thread, I find your artwork flippin' awesome.

+1

#4 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:12 AM

View PostXtremWarrior, on 25 February 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

Ok so:
5th i see a star! Migh also be some sick and really tight a-hole with those strange coloured dots, not sure.
Damn...

I drew these maps from the top down perspective. The tan blocks for the first one are buildings and the light grey is the road. 2nd map has small hole in the walls, those are walls. the 3rd map, think of the brown part as the high up dirt like in canyon. 4th one the white blocks are buildings light grey road and the dark grey is the concrete. The fifth one i tried making it look like HPG manifold textures..... but failed. Hope this clarifies, sorry my ms paint skills are lacking.

edit:

View PostVandul, on 25 February 2015 - 09:05 AM, said:

While this certainly isnt a new and refreshing thread, I find your artwork flippin' awesome.
+1

I know right? My ms paint skills are L33T!

Edited by Variant1, 25 February 2015 - 09:14 AM.

#5 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:04 AM

View PostVariant1, on 25 February 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

I drew these maps from the top down perspective. The tan blocks for the first one are buildings and the light grey is the road. 2nd map has small hole in the walls, those are walls. the 3rd map, think of the brown part as the high up dirt like in canyon. 4th one the white blocks are buildings light grey road and the dark grey is the concrete. The fifth one i tried making it look like HPG manifold textures..... but failed. Hope this clarifies, sorry my ms paint skills are lacking.

edit:
I know right? My ms paint skills are L33T!

Don't worry it was only for the joke!
(answering a bit late, internet left me for a couple of days)

#6 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:14 AM

Ok so:

Damn...

ROLF!
your post made my day!

#7 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:16 AM

We need better quality and design maps. Not a map cycle were each map is poor as we have now.

Edited by Sarlic, 27 February 2015 - 01:17 AM.

#8 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:00 AM

Some of these maps remind me of MW4.

#9 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:01 AM

Ok so:

Damn...

All of them look more like maps than Boreal Vault.

#10 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:10 AM

My thought:

You do realize that it's not the idea that poses the effort, but the implementation, right?

Implementation being:
- terrain mesh
- textures
- pathing
- decoration
- special effects (fog and stuff)
- balancing
- testing (cry engine stability issues, *sigh* mining collective *sigh*)

"Helping" PGI by providing "ideas" is like one of those guys in game modding forums who say "I have a GREAT idea for a mod, I just need 5 people working for free to implement it for me."

I bet PGI have a ton of map "ideas" themselves.
The problem is to pay the man-weeks it takes for every idea to become reality.
Maybe if you provide $10000 with each idea, that might work.

Edited by Paigan, 27 February 2015 - 05:12 AM.

#11 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

MWO's maps are too cluttered as they are. Filling every inch of a map with doodads doesn't make the map look better. It looks especially bad when there's no descructibility and mechs just walk through street lamps and get stuck on little cars and statues (lol).

#12 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:56 AM

All we need is a balanced rotation. Can't see the bog anymore.

#13 mekabuser

• Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:10 AM

who knew that cauldron would be one of their best efforts. ? Lack of destruction and no interaction with the map environment is such a huge immersion killer its sad.
that and the clutter.. god the clutter. So clutter and no collision is just pure garbage.

tourmaline , manifold, crimson all decent but day night? and volume of maps?
THey need to really fix the scale of their urban environments, it just feels all wrong..

#14 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

View Postmekabuser, on 27 February 2015 - 08:10 AM, said:

who knew that cauldron would be one of their best efforts. ? Lack of destruction and no interaction with the map environment is such a huge immersion killer its sad.
that and the clutter.. god the clutter. So clutter and no collision is just pure garbage.

tourmaline , manifold, crimson all decent but day night? and volume of maps?
THey need to really fix the scale of their urban environments, it just feels all wrong..

Yeah, something's off with the scale. I think it's too many big buildings in small environments, maybe? I mean...it's big building that are spaced far apart, so it doesn't feel like a city - it feels like something a kid made out of legos. For example, there's Crimson Strait:

Posted Image

All the roads are huge lanes that are mech-scaled, and when they're mech-scaled, it makes everything else seem artificially tiny. Cities aren't laid out this way. Compare this to a similarly-size area of Honolulu:

Posted Image

You DO have some wide lanes, but land is at a premium: you don't see a building sitting on a huge square concrete plot. Also notice the extreme variance in scale. Especially notice the actual houses: if there were a couple houses or small buildings? I think it might help.

It's hard to say. I have a design kicking around in my head for a CW map that I might post later.

#15 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostSarlic, on 27 February 2015 - 01:16 AM, said:

We need better quality and design maps. Not a map cycle were each map is poor as we have now.

this ^ .,.... and what 2 maps per year isnt enough? lol

#16 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

Some feedback:
  • The plan is to give us 1 map per month, so 10 more maps are coming in 2015.
  • Most of the maps will be for CW, at least for the coming months
  • People have submitting map ideas since 2012. As far as I know, none of the maps we got in 2014 or 2015 have been based on any ideas from the fans.
  • Map design is very difficult and it's probably better to look at good maps from other games and try to copy those. Now, MWO is different due to relatively slow mechs compared to map size, very long range, higher TTK, etc. But it's not that different. So far, PGI has tried to reinvent the wheel, and there are very few good maps as a result. But the FPS games with multiplayer have been around for over 20 years. There's no need to reinvent the wheel at this point.
For each map specifically:
  • Your first map has a big open area in the center, dominating the entire map. This is the major flaw with existing maps, because it leads to NASCAR circling around the center as both teams usually hesitate to abandon cover.
  • I like the idea of a maze-like map, if there was many alternative routes and a need for scouting.
  • The canyon network looks far too simplistic, very few routes and little need for scouting.
  • The river city map doesn't look like it has many good positions to defend. It could easily end up like Crimson Strait or the current River City, which usually turns into a stalemate because both sides rush to the same positions every time.
  • The star-shaped map is exactly the kind of map I hope we never see in MWO. It makes no sense from a realistic perspective, it's like those Star Craft maps where the terrain is shaped like a big smiley face. It's fun from an e-sports perspective, but I don't like it for a game like MWO. Maybe Team Fortress or other silly FPS games.

#17 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:35 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 27 February 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

Yeah, something's off with the scale. I think it's too many big buildings in small environments, maybe? I mean...it's big building that are spaced far apart, so it doesn't feel like a city - it feels like something a kid made out of legos. For example, there's Crimson Strait:
All the roads are huge lanes that are mech-scaled, and when they're mech-scaled, it makes everything else seem artificially tiny. Cities aren't laid out this way. Compare this to a similarly-size area of Honolulu:
You DO have some wide lanes, but land is at a premium: you don't see a building sitting on a huge square concrete plot. Also notice the extreme variance in scale. Especially notice the actual houses: if there were a couple houses or small buildings? I think it might help.
It's hard to say. I have a design kicking around in my head for a CW map that I might post later.

While I do agree with this, not all worlds in the Inner Sphere (I imagine) have had people live there for centuries. The year is 3050, so there's been a very rapid expansion across the galaxy. For this reason, it may be more useful to look at cities on Earth that have been constructed from scratch, in the middle of nowhere. Cities in China or United Arab Emirates, for example. Skyscrapers being set up in the middle of nowhere, in the hope that a city will grow around them some day. You have cities like that in USA as well, when a large corporation builds a town from scratch around some major mine or industry, far out in the wilderness.

A bigger issue, for me, is the lack of smaller details like cars. There are some areas on River City and Crimson strait that look fantastic, because they really look like they're scaled for humans. And then you have big areas of the map that are plainly scaled for mech combat, with very few cosmetic details in between.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users